Cinerama Dome Theatre In Hollywood Reopening This March

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The official reopening date for the Cinerama Dome complex is March 21st, 2002. The complex will be part of Pacific Theatre's new Arclight Theatre Division, a new take on the premium cinema idea.

A compilation Cinerama trailer (in genuine 3-panel) - 5 minutes of exciting clips - is planned to be shown at special events and openings at the Dome until September, 2002 when "This Is Cinerama" will play in celebration of the 50th anniversary of Old Three-Eyes.

I plan on coming West to attend a couple of screenings in September. Let's keep in touch and make a special HTF night of it.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I am totally game for this, Mr. Kline. Absolutely. And get this: I am going to be writing a story about the "new" Dome in a California real estate-oriented publication. I just might be consulting you on some details vis. cinerama. Would you insist on byline credit? [​IMG]

3. Peter Kline

Absolutely as followis:
    BY PETER KLINE and Jack Briggs
    OK?[​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Or ... "PETER KLINE Looks at the Refurbished Cinerama Dome," BY PETER KLINE.
    Then, at the bottom of the story:
    "With additional reporting by Jack Briggs." [​IMG]
    Seriously, though, keep us apprised of your plans. It would be great to meet you at last. I like the idea of making an HTF night of it! I will force RobertR to drag himself up from Long Beach, and there are plenty of other SoCal HTFers who would get a kick outta this.
    Interestingly, though, only a few SoCal HTF members took advantage of the opportunity to see 2001 in 70mm back in December. Maybe the March weather will bring 'em outta their cubbyholes.

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Sounds like a plan! Every time I've planned to meet Jack, it hasn't happened, so I'm really motivated. I'm up for this! The Dome is a scant 35 minutes from me if the traffic's good. It's been in the past two years that I've become aware of just how good movie buffs HAVE it here. [​IMG]

6. Jack Briggs

RobertR and I have had all these near-misses when it comes to checking out films in Hollywood, the most recent being the Robinson Crusoe on Mars debacle (that is, debacle for me)--but earning money can make for a compelling reason to prioritize correctly!

Look, let's make this one happen. It should be a blast.

Any other SoCal HTFers interested? I mean, we have this gentleman here flying clear across the continent. That's commitment!

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Next time I'm in LA, Jack. Perhaps a future HTF meet will entice me to make a visit over. I'm sure I will be bringing along a few friends as well. [​IMG]
    Jason

8. Jack Briggs

And that, too, would be a blast, Jason!

9. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    Are there any plans to show HOW THE WEST WAS WON at the Cinerama Dome? I might make the cross-country trip to see that in Cinerama again.

--Bill

10. Peter Kline

That should happen sometime next year. But first will be "This Is Cinerama" which started the whole thing. Pacific Theatres, which owns the Dome, owns all the Cinerama travelogues as well as the Cinemiracle (Cinerama copycat) travelogue. It is hopeful that they will eventually refurbish those films as well. WB has supposedly made a brand-new print of the 3 projector HTWW. It's a fine film but about 25% of it was not really filmed in Cinerama. Many sequences were actually shot in standard 70mm (those sequences were split into 3 images to match the rest of the film), and MGM (which originally made the film with the Cinerama company) even used some sequences from other films including "Raintree County", to save money. Those 70mm sequences are very noticable by the large amount of grain and the lack of a really wide image that the 3 camera sequences have. The other MGM Cinerama Film "The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm" was shot entirely in 3 Camera.

Now a trivia question. What actor appeared in 3 different Cinerama films (3 camera and single camera ones)? A clue: he was also a comedian.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

12. Peter Kline

Close, but no cigar. Here's the person:

Buddy Hackett appeared in "The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm", "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad. Mad World" and "The Golden Head" filmed as "Millie Goes To Budapest" which was never released in the U.S. It escaped for a limited showing in London "Mad World was shot in 70mm while "Head" started shooting in real 3 camera Cinerama but was finished in 70mm. The 3 camera sequences were used in the final film and are identifiable by the join lines during the 70mm presentation.

13. Peter Kline

See above... or remove!

14. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille

15. Peter Kline

I think I was mistaken on the "Raintree County". I don't believe any sequences were used. I'll check on that. The 70mm sequences specifically used for HTWWW were mostly used for rear projection (the raft sequences for example). You had the foreground images shot in 70mm and the background images, shot separately, in 70mm. Combine the two and GRAIN!

16. Peter Kline

Another double post... remove, thank you.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Some Raintree County sequences were used, but that's not true about the grain and stuff.

RC was shot on MGM Camera 65 (Same process used on Ben-Hur and It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World) which used 70mm, but anamorphically squeezed the image to yield an total aspect ratio of 2.76:1 (Intended for 2.55:1 projection)

Three-Panel Cinerama had an aspect ratio of a curved 2.59:1, so the aspect ratio could be interchanged with UltraPanavision.

It's a good thing WB is finally remastering How The West Was Won from the Cinerama negs...the reduction print is a joke (Loses lots of image on both sides and the top and bottom!)

Cinerama, of course, was always meant to be seen in 2.59:1 curved. Never any less, never any more.

18. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
  19. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
  20. Peter Kline

I understand that Pacific Theatres, owners of the new Dome complex, will be charging $14.00 for an adult ticket to the theatre. I suspect that "special presentations" will be higher. They own all the Cinerama travelogues and perhaps with this outrageous pricing they'll have enough money to restore them all, not just "This Is Cinerama".