What's new

Christmas films Blu-ray wishlist (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I was wondering:
Since I think John Wayne is the most prolific actor, and I'm not familiar with his filmography (I have seen around 18 films of his), is there any film - apart from 3 Godfathers - which is Christmas-y?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Did anyone get the Olive Films bd of Nutcracker: The Motion Picture?

I've ordered it from my local retailer, and I'll let you know how it is. I already have the iTunes digital copy and the Warner Archive DVD, both of which were better than the old laserdisc, so I'll be able to compare the Blu-Ray to them.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'm also wondering about Yes Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus.
Is it that good as they say?

It is very enjoyable and touching. If you like any two of Christmas, Charles Bronson, Richard Thomas, or Ed Asner, then you'll probably feel the same way about it. I'd never seen "Yes Virginia" before, so I didn't get the same kind of kick that someone who saw it on TV when they were young might get, but I'm really pleased to have it on such a nicely-done Blu-Ray, and I bet that at some time during the 2017 Christmas season somebody will notice it on my shelf and get a real thrill.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I've ordered it from my local retailer, and I'll let you know how it is. I already have the iTunes digital copy and the Warner Archive DVD, both of which were better than the old laserdisc, so I'll be able to compare the Blu-Ray to them.

David, did you end up getting the bd?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
David, did you end up getting the bd?

As of yesterday, it's not in yet at my preferred local retailer. I ordered it as soon as I heard about it, but they sure announced it late in the season. My Warner Archive DVD is waiting by the TV in anticipation of a comparison. The Dolby Digital 2.0 audio on that DVD is much stronger than the audio on the iTunes download, and I'm really looking forward to some sweet lossless audio on the Blu-Ray. I'll post my findings as soon as the disc shows up, but here's a highly-encouraging review (the only one I've found):

http://whysoblu.com/nutcracker-the-motion-picture-blu-ray-review/

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Ok, thanks anyways. Olive did announce and release it rather late, didn’t they...

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Ok, thanks anyways. Olive did announce and release it rather late, didn’t they...

I picked it up yesterday. It is fantastic. The uncompressed sound is wonderful, the picture is more detailed and colourful than either the Warner Archive DVD or the iTunes HD copy, and other than the DVD having a trailer that the Blu-Ray lacks, I'm really happy (and a bit relieved) to recommend this Olive Blu-Ray to any fan of the movie. It brought back in full force why I was mesmerized by "Nutcracker: The Motion Picture" back in the day when I saw it in the theatre.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
"Nutcracker The Motion Picture" daily update: I watched the Olive Blu-Ray twice more yesterday, once while seated comfortably with the audio switched to Dolby Surround (as per the end credits), and once more really loud in stereo while wandering around the place doing things. I may watch it again today. This is an EXTREMELY pleasing disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"Nutcracker The Motion Picture" daily update: I watched the Olive Blu-Ray twice more yesterday, once while seated comfortably with the audio switched to Dolby Surround (as per the end credits), and once more really loud in stereo while wandering around the place doing things. I may watch it again today. This is an EXTREMELY pleasing disc.

And it wasn't even January 25th...

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
You might want to be checking Big Lots. I just picked up Holiday Inn - B/W and Colorized Blu Ray for $3. As we get closer to the season there may be a few classic Christmas.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Thought to resurrect this old thread, as it's that time of year again.
3 Holiday films are (being) released (Holiday Affair, It happened on 5th Avenue, the Shop around the corner).

Still waiting for these:
The Homecoming: A Christmas Story (1971) (pilot of The Waltons)
One Magic Christmas (1985)
A Muppet Family Christmas (1987)
(I assume this is on video so any HD release would be an upscale)
In the Good old Summertime (1948) (I think this is coming next year)
All Mine To Give (1957)
The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
3 Holiday films are (being) released (Holiday Affair, It happened on 5th Avenue, the Shop around the corner).

Still waiting for these:
All Mine To Give (1957)

Don't forget the 1955 "We're No Angels" on Blu-Ray, about which I am very excited because VistaVision and Blu-Ray were made for each other. The other three you mention are from Warner Archive, who are doing great work these days, so I'm looking forward to them as well. The new remastered "Trading Places" is a beauty, too. That's a pretty decent Christmas crop at the end of this miserable year. Things are looking up!

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Still waiting for these:
All Mine To Give (1957)

ALL MINE TO GIVE was a big success at the box office where I worked. It was based on a true story. The biggest tear jerker that I ever saw until the French film PONETTE came many decades later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks