What's new

Christmas films Blu-ray wishlist (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Seems like that wouldn't be true...given how special sections exist in nearly all stores (regardless of their commitment to home video software) for Christmas movies. I've always figured that there's a lot of impulse buying that goes with holiday features.

But i would guess they are the big known films like Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, Christmas carol etc.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
We%27re_No_Angels_-_1955_-_poster.png

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
But i would guess they are the big known films like Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, Christmas carol etc.

I think that's true to a large extent, but I also think it would depend on the price point. Lesser known features would probably sell well enough if they were reasonably priced and the packaging was well-designed. I can only speak from personal experience, but I've made several impulse buys of holiday films when I've come across them in a store. Heck, those terrible Hallmark Channel Christmas movies are all over the place at WalMart once the Christmas stuff is set out. There must be 5,000 of them by now. Surely a decently made studio film could sell well. Then again, it all comes back to whether or not a studio can make back the money spent on preparing a film for release. Who knows what kind of condition some of these older films are in?

Back to the original topic, the one film I'd love to see released is Richard Williams' animated A Christmas Carol featuring the voices of Alistair Sim and Michael Redgrave. Heck, it won an Oscar! It would have to be packaged with something else, since it's only a half-hour long, but it is an absolute work of art and, right now, the best copy of it out there is a quick and dirty scan of a 16mm print that Garrett Gilchrist bought off of eBay. That's only available on YouTube, so the compression is terrible and the print wasn't exactly pristine. Still better than the old VHS release from decades ago.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I think that's true to a large extent, but I also think it would depend on the price point. Lesser known features would probably sell well enough if they were reasonably priced and the packaging was well-designed. I can only speak from personal experience, but I've made several impulse buys of holiday films when I've come across them in a store. Heck, those terrible Hallmark Channel Christmas movies are all over the place at WalMart once the Christmas stuff is set out. There must be 5,000 of them by now. Surely a decently made studio film could sell well. Then again, it all comes back to whether or not a studio can make back the money spent on preparing a film for release. Who knows what kind of condition some of these older films are in?

And a lot of those Hallmark films feature marketable stars...and sound like a really good idea (production).

Along the same line, I cannot tell you how many times I've seen cheap (sometimes used--really cheap) copies of those Christmas movies featuring Golden Retriever puppies (I think they're called " A Golden Christmas" or something of the sort) and, because of my LOVE for Golden Retrievers quickly pick them up and figure these have got to be great.....well, maybe they're good...well, they could be okay...well, maybe there's some single scene that would make the purchase worth it...No! They're stupid, dumb, fake talking-dog flicks that have NO redeeming value! Put them down, Mike, and walk away! Ignore the cute cover photo!!! If I wasn't such an individual of great character and inner strength, I'd have every one of those films ever made. So I could see where the impulse purchase instinct can really take over. And we all know that they sell those cheap PD discs of things with titles such as Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer because they are figuring they can dupe people into a purchase thinking that they are buying the Rankin-Bass classic.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Does anyone remeber "The Christmas Tree"?
It's from 1969; starring William Holden and directed by Terence Young.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would love to see a spruced up transfer of Ronald Neame's "Scrooge" (1970); especially since its DP was Oswald Morris.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What's wrong with the current Blu-ray? I think it looks pretty darned good.
Agreed. But the technology of transfers and all have further advanced since its initial release on disc. I suspect that there's now more that can be squeezed from that orange.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The current Blu-ray omits the overture, doesn't it? I think that's why I tucked the DVD of it inside the Blu-ray case.
Every year since 2011 when the Blu-Ray came out, I refine my DVD-for-the-overture-then-switch-to-the-Blu-Ray technique. It's a fun, rickety low-tech solution to a not very serious problem. Back in the 1980's, I used to play "It's A Wonderful Life" from the Republic VHS tape (the only good one at the time) for people while playing the Telarc CD of the unused score on a separate audio set-up. I worked from detailed handwritten notes (a lot of guesswork was involved) and scanned around on the CD player to hit my cues. Talk about imperfect solutions, but everyone I played the movie for that way found it interesting at the very least, or they found it interesting that I was making the effort. I may try that one again sometime, synching up the music to the Blu-Ray on a device. I'm sure I could do it more accurately and easily that way, but would it be as much fun?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Another underrated gem, that I wish it could be released (although I could go for one of the European Blurays since I don't have a problem with regions, but I'd like a new scan and english subtitles included) is A Midnight Clear (1992).

Ok, it's mostly a winter war drama, but it has a very importan scene held on Christmas eve.
This year was an excellent opportunity as it's its 25th anniversary.
Maybe TT could release this?

MPW-48276

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Could you comment please on the video/audio quality?
I asked about it in the Prancer thread.
It's one of my favourites, and I was very pleased. The quality is an definite uptick from the DVD, with refined visuals (I love the midwest winter mood of "Prancer" and it is enhanced here) and very sweet audio (I love Maurice Jarre's score). The movie was also a favourite of my Mom's, and if she had been around to watch the Blu-Ray with me, I'd have said "Looks great doesn't it?" more than once and she would have nodded happily, every time.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
It's one of my favourites, and I was very pleased. The quality is an definite uptick from the DVD, with refined visuals (I love the midwest winter mood of "Prancer" and it is enhanced here) and very sweet audio (I love Maurice Jarre's score). The movie was also a favourite of my Mom's, and if she had been around to watch the Blu-Ray with me, I'd have said "Looks great doesn't it?" more than once and she would have nodded happily, every time.

Thank you.

Wow, i just found it in a list of worst Christmas films!
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/12/25-worst-christmas-movies-of-all-time/christmas-caper

I liked it a lot though, and that winter mood atmosphere as you said.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

What? A clickbait article written in a snarky tone for the sole purpose of garnering easy ad revenue isn't well thought out? THE DEUCE, YOU SAY! ;)

Yeah, I take those "listicles" worth a grain of salt. People have reasons for liking the films they do. I adore many films that others tend to laugh at, so you all wear your Prancer admiration proudly! I haven't seen it, but you're far from the only ones who've mentioned it with fondness over the years. I may have to settle down and give it a whirl this year.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Every year since 2011 when the Blu-Ray came out, I refine my DVD-for-the-overture-then-switch-to-the-Blu-Ray technique. It's a fun, rickety low-tech solution to a not very serious problem. Back in the 1980's, I used to play "It's A Wonderful Life" from the Republic VHS tape (the only good one at the time) for people while playing the Telarc CD of the unused score on a separate audio set-up. I worked from detailed handwritten notes (a lot of guesswork was involved) and scanned around on the CD player to hit my cues. Talk about imperfect solutions, but everyone I played the movie for that way found it interesting at the very least, or they found it interesting that I was making the effort. I may try that one again sometime, synching up the music to the Blu-Ray on a device. I'm sure I could do it more accurately and easily that way, but would it be as much fun?
Sounds like you have the instincts of one of those skilled projectionists who ran our great 70mm Roadshows in a palace theater.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What? A clickbait article written in a snarky tone for the sole purpose of garnering easy ad revenue isn't well thought out? THE DEUCE, YOU SAY! ;)

Yeah, I take those "listicles" worth a grain of salt. People have reasons for liking the films they do. I adore many films that others tend to laugh at, so you all wear your Prancer admiration proudly! I haven't seen it, but you're far from the only ones who've mentioned it with fondness over the years. I may have to settle down and give it a whirl this year.
Lists are just like a recipe book. New ideas to try; or dishes you've never heard of. But in the end; like "Prancer"; who is to truly decide what will be near and deer to our hearts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks