What's new

Chocolate and caffeine (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
does all chocolate have caffeine in it? or does some have less. Does white chocolate have caffeine and is it more or less than regular milk chocolate and dark chocolate.

LewB

Screenwriter
Quick guess says that white chocolate should have less since it is just cocoa butter with no cocoa solids (I gotta lay off the FOODTV !) Of course, I could be wrong.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
As a general rule, the darker it is, and more bitter it becomes, the more caffeine it has. IIRC, white is something like 1-2mg/oz, milk chocolate around 6-10, and dark around 20-30. A cup of brewed coffee is around 75-120.

I'm going off my faltering memory, from an office discussion we had last year (bored engineers, ya know;) ). A google search ought to turn up more.

Todd

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Bored engineers that dangerous. I should know :D . We usually start throwing things at each other when were bored.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Chocolate usually doesn't have caffeine (but is present on the cheaper chocolates), but it does have a caffeine analog. Theobromine I think it is called. It has similar effects, but much more mild. It is the "active" ingredient.

The physiological effects of chocolate, caffeine, and alcohol are all discussed in this book: Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Not only does 'white chocolate' not contain caffeine or its derivatives, it is not even chocolate. It is purely butterfat and sugar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks