Please recommend chocolate for 1) hot cocoa, and 2) mocha latte

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlo Medina, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hi All,

I'm addicted to The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf's mocha latte (which is their proprietary chocolate powder mixed in with a latte - espresso + steamed milk). I like it better than Starbucks' version (called a cafe mocha) because the chocolate is a little sweeter and the overall drink isn't as bitter.

I'm also a fan of hot chocolate (when I don't want to have the caffeine that espresso adds) but don't like the super-sweet stuff like Swiss Miss or even Hershey's powder. I like the Ghirardelli cocoa powder to a degree, but kind of want a little more chocolatey, and less sugary. I'm a fan of dark chocolate to eat, but don't want my hot chocolate quite that bitter.

Any suggestions for chocolate (either powder or block) for either or both drinks? I realize the chocolate I use for one may not be suitable for the other. I actually have a tub of the chocolate that Coffee Bean uses and I like it for my latte but not my hot chocolate.

Thanks!

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

personally I love the hershey's powder, milk, and sugar route, is it the actual chocolate you find too sweet? Could always make it with less sugar (yeah I know, master of the obvious..)

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Are you talking about hershey cocoa powder? That one I haven't tried, just the hershey's syrup. I may try that powder and add less sugar...

Oh, and I just tried Droste dutch processed cocoa! 2 tsp w/ 2 tsp of sugar per cup of milk, yum!

Any other suggestions?