Cheers on dvd - Anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio Silva, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible for Cheers to be released on dvd or will it have the same problems as Seinfeld?
    Is there a demand for this series to be released?
    Just wondering...
    Er...Cheers
    [​IMG]

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I'd be all of Cheers season by season dvd's. And Seinfeld, and the Dukes of Hazzard.

3. Jack_F

Jack_F Stunt Coordinator

I would buy all complete season sets of Cheers and Seinfeld.

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Cheers has been the subject of much rumor, esp. since the episodes were all digitally remastered. In the process, they made "tilt-and-scan" versions of the episodes, which essentially means that they took a square OAR image and put it in widescreen format when it wasn't intended to be in that format.

The situation now is that most HTFers want these on DVD, but only in the original format which they first saw them. A widescreen release is as good as no release.

Naturally, Paramount isn't talking yet. I expect they are still trying to figure out A) what to do about the situtation I just described, B) when to do Cheers in relation to other shows, esp. Star Trek, esp. with what seems to be limited resources, and C) what the right time to get these out are.

6. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

I would, but they already play a lot of Cheers reruns.

7. MichaelClark

MichaelClark Extra

If Universal can come out of the gate with 10 shows coming to dvd, then Paramount can certainly release Cheers. For that matter, how about Frasier, Taxi, Mission: Impossible, and MacGyver??

8. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Cheers would be a must-buy for me. There aren't too many TV shows that I'm excited about having on DVD, but Cheers would make me even happier than The Simpsons. Others I'd like to see complete season releases of are Get A Life, Kids in the Hall, WKRP (with the original music), and SCTV.

9. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

I would love to see the "tilt-and-scan" atrocities. I wonder if there's pics of it somewhere.
    Yeah, I'd go for "Cheers." And "Taxi." Someone mentioned Taxi. [​IMG]

10. David Lambert

Did anyone catch on NBC last night the "20 Years Of Must-See-TV" special? It was a 1-hour look back at all the Thursday night lineup shows that "made it", even those that didn't always stay on Thursdays (like Frasier).
    The final-hour Dramas (Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law, and E.R.) got some attention, but not as much as the comedies.
    Of the comedies, Friends and now Mad About You are the only ones on or coming to DVD.
    We're still waiting for Cheers, Seinfeld, Cosby Show, Different World, Frasier, Taxi (mentioned as a predecessor to MSTV), Family Ties, Will & Grace, and even Madman of the People. [​IMG] Oh, we're waiting for all three Dramas, too. [​IMG]

11. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

David, you can get "The Cosby Show" on DVD from Columbia House.

12. David Lambert

Thanks Gabe; I probably knew that and forgot.