What's new

Cheap Catalog Releases on Blu-Ray? Has it begun? (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I have a theory. Seeing as how Target suddenly plopped out a half-dozen cheap catalog releases on blu-ray for a whopping $5.00, are we seeing the beginning of a virtual avalanche of such discs? The general consensus among forum members seems to be that the Target discs were hit-or-miss, but in the end those same members seemed fairly happy with them. It looks like the discs were probably transfers of existing hi-def masters and weren't remastered or restored especially for blu. Fair enough. While I consider myself an armchair film preservationist and feel that every film deserves to be restored and/or preserved for home video, I realize that in reality only the biggest A-list marquee titles will ever receive such treatment, and sometimes not even then. So we upgrade existing dvd titles to blu. While the films may or may not be presented in an ideal format, customized for blu, we'll still be getting them in high definition. For some of these catalog titles, that may be enough for the present time. They at least look acceptable. But is this a good thing or a bad thing? When dvd first started getting popular, circa 1997, I instantly "upgraded" some of my favorite catalog titles that I'd had on vhs. While the picture quality wasn't necessarily much better, all I could think at the time was that digital media was a lot more reliable than video tape. I at least felt that the image quality was improved simply because discs don't suffer from the same fluctuations and limitations that video tapes do--warping and so on. So for me, that was enough, and I wouldn't have to worry about preservation as much because discs are more durable than videos in terms of temperature, moisture and so on. The upgrade from dvd to blu is similar in that in a proper blu release, the image quality is fivefold. A blu-ray done right is going to make you forget what that same film looked like on dvd. But again--that's only if they did it right. We all have blu-rays that were ports and look sub-par, or blu-rays were the digital mastering experts went loco and had too much fun fiddling with the edge enhancement knobs or rejiggered the sound to the point where you barely recognize your favorite film. I think with a sudden thrust for cheaper catalog releases on blu, we'll see a lot more of the same. As I said, the films will probably be acceptable in the format, without being optimal. But the same thing happened with dvd--at the beginning you only saw the current big blockbusters and a handful of A-list vintage releases that were deemed worthy of the new format. Then as a couple of years went by, and dvd began to dominate the marketplace over vhs, you saw hundreds of older catalog releases popping out by the cartloads, mostly on the cheap. And they were hit or miss. Now it's happening again. The debate: is the blu-ray format so precious that we only want to reserve it for catalog titles that were done with the proper restoration, time and care and lots of money invested in the product? Or are we going to be happy with the catalog titles released on blu as they are--existing prints remastered for high def, looking acceptable, but lacking in that optimum potential that we all know a really good blu-ray can offer?

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
In almost every case, even marginal titles are better on Blu ray than DVD. For $5, I'd be willing to "upgrade" these discs if for nothing else for the on-the-fly menu features every Blu ray has. I never liked stopping a movie to skip to another chapter and back and with Blu ray that's not necessary, ever thanks to Java. Maybe there are discs with Java disabled, but I haven't seen them yet. Even if that were the case for an individual title, $5 is a very tempting price point for an even marginally-better transfer.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I haven't seen a $5 blu-ray at Target. Of course I haven't looked in the last 3-4 months because I buy almost all of my blu-rays from amzn. What titles have they offered that were good?

Overall I think it is a good thing to have them be affordable, although maybe $5 is a silly-cheap price that cheapens the whole experience??? Don't know...

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by benbess

I haven't seen a $5 blu-ray at Target. Of course I haven't looked in the last 3-4 months because I buy almost all of my blu-rays from amzn. What titles have they offered that were good?

Overall I think it is a good thing to have them be affordable, although maybe $5 is a silly-cheap price that cheapens the whole experience??? Don't know...

They just put out a handful of Touchstone titles like Small Talk and Big Business, Another Stakeout. There's a second wave of cheapies coming on May 10. There's a whole thread about those releases down the page ("Mill creek scrapes the bottoms of Disney's barrel" or somesuch).

I actually just at target this morning and they had them on SALE...now they're $3.99!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Walmart has had a rack of $5 blurays near me. A few were ones if I didn't already own I would snag. Stargate, as an example. But others were titles that didn't seem familiar to me at all. Several disney movie releases.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I think we're going to start to see more of the better-known deep catalog titles being released on Blu, everything from Von Ryan's Express to Demolition Man (which was just announced). Personally, I don't need a hi-def version of Demolition Man so I'll stick with my ancient snapper DVD but for those who want it I'm glad the studio will make it available. Now, don't expect it to be demo-quality or have any new features. Also, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

They just put out a handful of Touchstone titles like Small Talk and Big Business, Another Stakeout. There's a second wave of cheapies coming on May 10. There's a whole thread about those releases down the page ("Mill creek scrapes the bottoms of Disney's barrel" or somesuch).

I actually just at target this morning and they had them on SALE...now they're $3.99!

3.99?! Thanks for the report. I've never even heard of those titles...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yup, I picked up a 2-disc, 7-hour documentary on American national parks and history from the $3.99 shelf when I was at Target last week. How can we resist?

They also have the Wallace & Gromit collection on sale for $7.99 for a few more weeks, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks