What's new

Chappelle' show (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

HBO seems to be the only network capable of dealing with an irregular schedule, and maybe they only do that because of the numbers and status Sopranos brings. It has always surprised me that networks seem unable to deal with breaks. We can all say Chappelle's show can come back in 6 months to a year, but if that isn't what was originally planned, the track record of such things happening is abysmal. This is the downside of TV entertainment. To a degree, it is a production line, and the product must keep moving. If you can't keep up with the production line, it almost doesn't matter the quality of the eventual product. Networks hate surprises.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and let Dave retool and put the show on. Maybe Comedy Central is small enough to be smart about it and do that. I don't know, though. It may be shackled by some of the game group think that plagues the major networks.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he felt as though -he- was selling out; I think he felt as though there was an enormous amount of pressure to change the product, and sometimes he felt the product was not up to his standards... and that his friends/inner circle became bootlickers who wouldn't give him the honest answer of if the product was any good.

Link to the article:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...061415,00.html

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, man. Here's hoping to all that is holy and pure that he's just taking a leave of absence. I understand though, a man has gotta keep his head straight. Good luck Dave!!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Must be nice. I don't like going into work every day and I get stressed out but I've been here 4 years.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I have to put in a side note, beyond being happy that Dave's ok, and say that I think Paul Mooney is brilliant, and needs his own special (at least, if not a show). I haven't laughed that hard in years. Great guy. "I have a question for you too. Where are your teeth?"

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I just hope he cashed the $50 million a head of time. :) It is a shame, that was the best show on Comedy Central and now there is nothing.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering how he can just walk out when he signed a deal for two more seasons. Can't Comedy Central take legal action against Chappelle? Or is it just a case of C.C. getting to keep their money?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Paul Mooney has been hilarious forever. He wrote for Richard Pryor. However, I've always thought he comes off better behind the scenes than in front. He's had his opportunities in front of the camera, but he just doesn't have smooth delivery that lasts without grating on you. He's a great comic mind, though.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
could someone clarify the timeline? from what i gathered, Chappelle went 'on sabatical' before producing the third season, then came back and started making the episodes, and now after 8 shows he's quit, is that it? or did he go to Africa after making 8 shows and simply hasn't returned to continue?

RichardK

Second Unit
Well if the deal with CC is anything similar to what the Dolphins had with Ricky Williams...Dave will be back to finish out the '3rd' and a 4th season. If Dave decides he will not return even if it costs him huge $$$, then lets hope he doesnt end up like Tron in 5yrs.

-Richard

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Well what ever he is doing I hope he comes back to finish the show. It is/was deinitely one of the best things out right now.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Chappelle did a lot of work on the shows before bowing out, but I don't think we should see it as 8 shows done, x shows not done. When they say half the season was done, they mean things like skits and things like that, not necessarily half the SHOWS were done. I don't know that they have any complete shows in the can.

If wonder, sometime, if a place like Comedy Central ever looks itself in the mirro and realizes maybe it would be better to just leave him alone to do his thing, rather than try to micromanage him. Still, when you're putting up that much money, you want to use everything at your disposal (focus groups, etc.) to make sure you get a return on invesment. Things tend to get messed up when the financial stakes are raised.

Dave did not get a $50MM check. He was offered a certain contract and that contract was dependent on several things, most (if not all) of which didn't happen. Some was based on future DVD sales, etc.

Even if Dave just goes back to doing standup, I'll watch that. Or maybe he'll do a different type of show. You gotta roll with the punches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks