What's new

Chappelle' show (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
It's a strange world when Charlie Murphy is entertaining us and Eddie Murphy is putting out farting hamster movies.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
There might still be hope for Eddie Murphy. I just saw that he and his current wife are getting divorced. It was said in many articles that she was the biggest reason that he was not doing raw humor anymore. Im sure his family was a part of that also but now that he is unleashed if you will, I wonder if he will bring back the Eddie that we all love and very much miss.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If wonder, sometime, if a place like Comedy Central ever looks itself in the mirro and realizes maybe it would be better to just leave him alone to do his thing, rather than try to micromanage him. Still, when you're putting up that much money, you want to use everything at your disposal (focus groups, etc.) to make sure you get a return on invesment. Things tend to get messed up when the financial stakes are raised.
But there should be no need for any of that crap. The show was a bona fide smash hit for C.C. the only thing focus groups and the like could do would be to tamper with perfection. They should have been letting Chappelle do whatever he wanted outside of things that you absolutely could not do on non-premium cable. Although, I don't think network execs are known for being the brightest people when it comes to actual entertainment and creativity.

If you ever listen to "Opie and Anthony" on XM, they have Jim Norton on the show who was on "Tough Crowd" with Colin Quinn. He would always talk about how awful it was over there in the sense that they were constantly telling him what he couldn't say. Carlos Mencia went on their show as well and told a story about how the lawers over there were telling him what was offensive to his own race. So maybe he did leave over that stuff. But there should have been no reason to mess with his show.

Does anyone else here think it was selfish of him for walking out like that after he made a deal with them. What about the staff now that will be out of work? I would be especially pissed if I was Charlie Murphy who was finally coming into his own because of the show. I think that C.C. should offer Charlie Murphy a show. He was a writer for Chappelle, right. We know he's funny. Maybe they will once they accept that Chappelle's show is essentially finished.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
As I said, when the financial stakes are raised, funny things happen. The #1 thing that happens is the desire to take risks grows inversely proportional. Maybe you'd give him $50MM and say, "Do whatever you want," but then again... when the $50MM is on the table, maybe you wouldn't. I'm just acknowledging that reality.

Fresh things grow stale. Unforeseen events can occur and quickly change the fate of a show. I didn't hear any serious rumors about Politically Incorrect w/Bill Maher being cancelled before 9/11. There are examples of other shows quickly tanking as well.

All I'm saying is, when you raise the financial stakes, you need to reach more people to cover your investment. I can understand the desire to play it a little safe. That doesn't mean I think it is a Good Thing.

As for Carlos Mencia, he can complain all he wants, but the lawyers are there to protect the financial viability of the corporations they serve, not the artistic integrity of the artists creating the content. We live in an era where juries consider the depth of financial pockets not on in awarding damages, but in determining the very verdict. People turned off to one show may stop watching a given network altogether. There's big money at stake, and investors expect the captains leading the ship to exercise some fiduciary responsiblity with their money.

I think the Notorious B.I.G. put it best -- Mo' money, Mo' problems.

As for Charlie Murphy, I have zero interest in watching a show of his. Like Wanda Sykes and many other funny comedians before him, I don't think he could carry the ball. However, if a bunch of you feel you'd enjoy a Charlie Murphy show, maybe you should write to Comedy Central to suggest the idea. Personally I feel some folks are better in bite-sized doses.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
OMG, that was a funny read. Are you serious in thinking that this site might be true? I couldnt tell cuz of no smily.:D

So let me get this straight: Bill Cosby, Louis Farrakhan, and Al Sharpton formed the "Dark Crusaders" because Dave Chappelle was creating a negative image to black people with his sketch comedy show. Jesse Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Whoopi Goldberg, and Robert I. Johnson all joined this secret alliance to make sure Dave never gets to air his third season. Um, OK.:rolleyes:

Just when you thought it couldn't get more unbelievable, Bill Cosby, Louis Farrakhan, and Al Sharpton become ninjas and pop in and out of Chappelle's shower. Tears were coming out of my eyes, I was laughing so hard.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it's a joke, but other than the "Dark Crusaders" doing their own dirty work, it's almost believable. I know Dave has done some live events the past couple months, but I can't find any reviews.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Man, that's just sad. Really, really sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks