What's new

Center, Side & Surround Speakers to go with KEF Q900 ? (1 Viewer)

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
I tested out the KED Q900 speakers today, and I liked them a lot ... But I'm wondering what are the ideal center, side and surround speakers to go with 2x KEF Q900 ? ........... Q600 ? Q800 ? Q300 ? Q100 ? etc ..

I'm targeting a 7.2 configuration ..

I've already ordered dual PSA XV15 subwoofers to go with whatever speakers I choose ...

Have not decided on an A/V receiver yet .. And I would like to avoid buying an amplifier for now, as I've already exceeded my budget :P

My room specs are shown below.

Please also tell me if Q700s will be just as good for my room as Q900 or not .. Might help save some money :)

V9x6L.jpg

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
schan1269 said:
Why not do 6 Q900? Or 7 if you go with an AT screen.
That would be insane .. the side/back speakers are not even used that much .. Besides, my total speaker budget (excluding subs) is about $3000 ..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Insane?

Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Underworld: Awakening
Immortal Beloved
Man of Steel
Iron Man 1/2/3
X-Men(every version)

And many more...beg to differ.

And, House of Flying Daggers...all by itself, the opening scene is worth buying 7/9 of the biggest speakers you can shoehorn in your theater.

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
What's an AT screen ? And what does a projector screen have to do with sound, except acoustic placement issues ?

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
3 Q900's simply don't fit in a budget :P .. Besides, since this is my first ever HT room attempt, I'm not aiming for the ***perfect*** setup .. I want something that I will be amazed with, and this criteria won't be hard to capture since this is my first time round at this stuff ..So please stick with just 2 Q900's and then tell me what I should use for the other speakers for a 7 channel configuration :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Whatever Qs fit your remaining budget. However, unless you intend to listen to a bunch of 2.0 music(meaning, without subwoofer)...Why not the 700 for your main?

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Q600c for center is a given, but I don't know if I should go with Q300s, Q100, etc .. Or how about the Q800DS as the 'rear' speakers (as KEF calls them here) ?Regarding Q700, you're right in that this room will primarily be only for movies, TV shows, and to some extent, games .. I mainly only listen to music on my phone, or laptop .. But given the specs of my room, I'm not sure how efficient the Q700 will be .. Plus, I've only listened to Q900, and not Q700 .. I also don't currently have the option of listening to a Q700 now, because I was in a different city yesterday where I could demo the KEFs .. I'm no longer there now ..

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
In the above post, I was referring to Q300s, Q100s, and Q800DS for side/rear speakers .. Don't know which ones to get here ..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks