What's new

Center channel upgrade. Klipsch questions (1 Viewer)

jjordan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
I am upgrading my center speaker on my onkyo 6100 htib. My budget it $250. I have not upgraded any of the other speakers yet, but thought I would start with the center. I have a few options I'm looking at and am hoping to get some advice.

I could go with the Klipsch Synergy C-1 center for $89 and have some $ to get the front speakers now as well.

Or I could get a better model center such as the RC-10 from the reference series.

Does the Reference series really blow the Synergy series out of the water? Also wondering about peoples thoughts on the ability to bi-amp the Klipsch speakers with the onkyo R 667 receiver. Have never bi-amps before but it seems like I would have to sacrifice another channel to bi-amp, which I am willing to do if I'm not able to afford timbre matched speakers at this time.

Thanks in advance for your patience for this audiophile wanna be on a tiny budget! lol

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The center channel speaker needs to timbre match the fronts (same brand & series). So, it's better to get the front three at the same time, if possible. It's really better if all the speakers timbre match, but the rears aren't as critical as the front three.

Have you listened to Klipsch speakers? I ask because if not, you need to. People usually either love or hate them, because of the horn style tweeter they use. Some people (me included) find the Klipsch speakers to be fatiguing to the ears, after listening to them for a little while. It usually doesn't take long to discover this, if it's going to bother you. If you can stand to listen to them for more than an hour, you'll probably be ok with them.

You'll also want to make sure the speakers you get are 8 ohms. The receiver with the 6100 HTIB isn't 4 ohm certified, so 4 ohm speakers could be a problem with it.
Good luck!

jjordan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
I have not listened to Klipsch speakers yet, thanks for the heads up. I will check them out. I was also thinking about checking out some Polk speakers like maybe the cs-10. Can anyone recomend some of those to listen to while Im checking out Klipsch?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Sure, give them a listen too. Listen to all the brands you can, and get what sounds best to your ears. You're the one that will be listening to them from then on..........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks