What's new

center channel speaker (1 Viewer)

MitchL

Auditioning
I am not happy with the sound of my center channel speaker a kef uni-q 90. It is up front with a right and left kef uni-q 30. Can you please recommend a speaker to replace these with. Is it neccessary to change all three speakers to get the right sound? thanks

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
What exactly don't you like with the Kef Q90?

Have you checked the speaker wires are in good contact? Bass/treble link (if present) is screwed down on each connector? Phase is correct? Are both drivers working? If you've blown the treble it will sound muffled. Like Bose ;-)

I own a similar centre from the "Reference" line- the Model 200. If you do change the Q90 centre to another brand you most likely best to change L/R too. You could look for a Model 100, that should be a close match, and that's a very good centre too (one model down from Model 200)

If your Kef is in full working condition it could be that you're more accustomed to the aggresive harsh end with a empty mid & boomy bass range, with other certain speakers. Kef Reference line are more natural in that regard.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Still recommend to go for the Model 100..
http://www.kef.com/history/1990_1/model_100.htm

Should be able to find one for $100-$150. They were £350 new (UK)

There's quite a bit of sound difference between the Q & Reference line, and is noticeable along the front array (used Q mains, Reference centre) I own both Coda, Q & Reference's.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yeah, i recommended that for the extra drivers, as i'm assuming he wants more ummpph.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mitch.

Have you done all the correct setup/alignment things for that center first?

Here is what is suggested:
  • Use a SPL meter to make sure the center speaker produces the same volume as the L/R/Rears. (Your reciever has a setting to adjust just the center volume up/down to make things match).
  • Center speakers dont work well simply placed on top of a hollow box (your television). Use some pink rubber-erasers or splurge $3 for a pair of rubber door-wedges to make feet and get that speaker up off the top of the TV. The door wedges also give a downward tilt which can help it point at your head rather than over it.
  • Pull the face of the speaker forward so it over-hangs the front of the TV by about 1/4 inch. Making the center speaker parallel with the TV face can be bad. Pushing the center back so sounds reflect off the top of the TV is bad.
  • Get a laser pointer (pen style, not keychain/bullet style) and use it to 'see' where the left/center/right speakers are pointing. Having the sound from the L/R speakers intersect about 1-2 feet behind your head - but the center pointing exactly at your head can often give a great soundstage.

Try all of these things, and John's suggestion of checking both ends of the speaker wires before simply buying a new speaker.

And if you do buy a new center, buy one from the same line as your L/R or chances are the sound of all 3 wont match.

MitchL

Auditioning
Hey Bob,
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Am I to set up my speakers all at the same volume level? I thought the rears were to be lower than the fronts, and the fonts lower than the center. I am going to go set my act-3 right now, and i will let you know how it came out. thanks again, MitchL

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
All speakers should have the exact same volume. You would have a sound level meter to do so. It's very hard to get a good adjustment by ear

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks