What's new

Center Channel Speaker help... (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Since a lot of sound comes out of the center channel I realized I sorta have a crappy center speaker to allow for this. I am thinking of upgrading without spending a whole lotta cash. I was thinking between 150 - 300 dollars. Are centers with "mini-subs" or the like better than ones without? god help me. My set-up pics and specs are on my web-site. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend you get the center in your price range that is made to timber match your main speakers. I would under no circumstances get a center that has "mini subs" in it. You have a powered subwoofer to handle those chores.
Nick

PaulKH

Second Unit
Brad, I looked at your setup and one thing you might consider is trying to get your center channel LOWER (height). That can really affect what you hear.
Also, from your system description it sounds like you have the floor standing speakers AND another set of fronts!? Why is this?
I agree though that a center channel is really important. I have an Acoustic Research center (AR30 I think) and it's not bad, but I'd like to upgrade it also. If I were you, I would go listen to a bunch of them and personally I wouldn't buy one at the low end of your budget, I think you'll be sorry, but maybe not since it might be a lot better than what you have now.
Good luck.

GregJ

Agent
You may like the JBL S-center speaker. It's not a mini sub but it is a 3 way speaker with 2 woofers. Since the center channel is mostly for voice a powered sub would not really be helpful.
Greg

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Paul,
The reason for the two fronts is because there is an A/B switch on the reciever. I can select either the Bose mains or the Sony Mains. Most of the time I use both, but other times I'll only select the Bose'.
I really don't know where I could lower the center, given my stand. The sound is loud, but I am really interested in getting a medium-end speaker, since this is where all the dialogue comes from.
Greg,
I have no idea what I'm talking about. The center you just spoke/wrote of is what I was talking about with the woofers.
Thanks all.
Keep 'em coming.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 11, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I have to agree with Nick, your best option is to look for the matching center unless you are thinking on upgrading your mains later, other wise there won't be a seamless soundstage as the difference in timbre between your mains and the center will hamper it. Believe me having the same speaker all around or at least the same timbre matched series is a must.

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I've just ordered a rather low priced center speaker reccommended by someone on this forum. http://speakerpage.com/k05c22.htm
Is the link.
Don't know if it will be an absolutly perfect "timbre" match for you (or me), but I liked the design thoughts, and I'm not convinced that timbre matching is of paramount importance. Other issues such as speaker design, placement, can effect the timbre too. Just buying the same MTM that you have as left and right speakers and laying it on its side and calling it a center channel speaker, may not be optimium for dialog reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks