What's new

Center Channel Ideas (1 Viewer)

Donnie M

Grip
My hodge-podge HT is slowly coming together. I got my receiver hooked up and tuned, and will be adding more components as I go. Here's what I have so far:

Pioneer VSX-815
Fronts: some speakers my dad made when he was in high school
Surrounds: BIC America Venturi V2's

Don't laugh at the fronts! They actually sound pretty good for speakers that old (solid response down to 40Hz). They are ported with 10" drivers and HLDs. My system is basically comprised of what I can afford and what was given to me. (I'm only a senior in high school :b )

I'm planning on building a Dayton sub, which I'll probably do in the next month or so.

The next order of business is the center. My system is pretty random, so I'm not sure if I should really focus on matching the center's characteristics to what I have; as nothing is really consistent. I'm just looking for a good center speaker that will provide good sound for a decent price. ($200 or less)

I'm what you would call a bargain-hunter/diamond-in-the-rough-seeker. I try to buy stuff that sounds great but doesn't break my bank.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Donnie,

Not laughing at all. Those speakers could easily be better than some of the rather pricy commercial ones. The latter often have to compromise between sound quality, size (!), looks and price. Generally, sound looses.

Cees

Jason J G

Agent
If that is how you feel, there are a few speaker supply sites around. You could build some very decent speakers, at a very reasonable prices. Take a look, I thought of this option myself about a year ago............ I opted not to, as I am too impatient!!! I will build a set someday.............

Donnie M

Grip
I feel the same impatience for my center. For some reason I only feel like building the sub. It's probably an impatience thing as having a 5.0 system before a 4.1 system sounds better to me. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows. I guess I just want to get things crackin'.

Donnie M

Grip
Looks like it's the one for me. The reviews you posted, along with many others, basically say it's the best one out there for the money. Hopefully I can find a place around here to audition it...just to be sure.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I would also take a look at the energy c-c1. I've seen some blowout prices in the $175-$200 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks