What's new

Center channel behind screen? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Beal

Agent
I am planning on getting a drop down screen with a front projection setup and I am a little perplexed about the placement of my front channel. The room is 14'x 14'with a 8' ceiling. I am planning to have a 92" screen for the room centered on the wall with my left and right channels on either side. But what to do with the center channel? I dont want to mount it way above the screen near the ceiling also I dont want to put it 2' off the floor and pull the sound stage way down. But what about behind the screen it self. Will it sound muffled and unclear? Will it make the screen shake and vibrate with the sound? Any help would be great. Thanks

Sincerely, Jeff

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
If you are going to place the center behind the screen you will need a perforated screen.

This will add substantial cost to the price of the screen.

Do a search on perforated screens, and you may get some feedback.

I decided not to go with the center behind the screen because it costs so much more, and there were several complaints that the tiny little holes allowed too much light to pass through, effecting picture quality.

-Gerry

MikeWh

Second Unit
also I dont want to put it 2' off the floor and pull the sound stage way down.
Most people opt for a center channel above or below, instead of the perf screen (for the reasons Gerry mentioned). Just point the speaker upward, at an angle where your listening spot is (where your ears will be). If you have more than one row of seats, placing the speaker above may give a better sound field (the sound won't be blocked as much by the first row).

If your center and front sides are adjusted properly, you aren't likely to notice the "misplaced" center. I know in my experience, if the center is sitting flat (parallel to the floor), the sound is OBVIOUSLY dislocated... peoples' lips and voices don't match. It's really bad. After tilting it, the disparity is totally unnoticeable.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, Like the gentleman said, MicroPerf screens are more, but, but they are worth it. Acoustically transparent screens (MicroPerf) heightens the HT experience by allowing the center channel speaker to be placed directly behind the screen just like in a professional cinema or sound mixing stage. Since the sound is now coming from behind the image, the audio cues are perfectly aligned with the visual action on the screen. This is important since much of the sound track comes from the center speaker. I will describe three scenario's and I may later, (if I can find them) post three pictures of choices you could make for center channel and main channel placement with your screen.
1) LCR, (left, center, right) positions placed at the bottom of the screen, (tweeters placed up). This will give you good cinematic sound and more even panning.
2) L and R, (mains) height and alignment at ear level. The center in this mock up would be below the L and R. All speakers with tweeters up. The bottom of the L and R aligned with the bottom of your screen.
3) For best cinematic sound, using the THX-approved perf screen, the L, C, and R placed behind the screen, and share the same height, alignment, tow and angle. Stewart makes these screens. In the final analysis, ask yourself how long you will have this home and theater. If you plan on staying for good, the perfed screen is best.
www.stewartfilm.com
Hope this helps

Simon SPYTHON

Auditioning
perforated screens are expensive, you may also want to modify the dimensions of your room if practical as a 14 by 14 by 8 foot room is not a good shape, square rooms behave badly due to reflections and null room nodes (especially at low frequencies)

Jeffrey Beal

Agent
Thanks alot for the info, I have been to the stewart screen company's web site and researched a little more about screen's. I will let you know what I decide to do when the time comes and what the results are thanks and take care all. Happy H.T. To all

Sincerely, Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks