What's new

Cel Shading (1 Viewer)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I find it odd that nobody has really been able to improve upon the originator of cel shading: Jet Grind Radio. I hooked it up to my HDTV via the VGA box yesterday and I was suprised to see that even three years later, it still looks a lot better than recent releases such as Zelda: WW and upcoming games like XIII. For example, while Zelda has characters with higher poly counts, the environments are bland and washed out, and the textures show a huge lack of effort. Some could make a case for JSRF, but I think the artistic design in the first outweighs the framerate and draw distance in the sequel.

Any thoughts as to why nobody has been able to beat out the innovator after all this time?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the technique that creates the cel-shaded look was first used in Jet Grind Radio for Dreamcast, but was spawned from the artistic style of Fear Effect for PlayStation (which, to this day, looks freaking cool, even if it's age is showing).

Dragon's Lair was not cel-shaded.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I think Dark Cloud 2 is a great example of what cel shading can be. The colors and textures are fantastic, but "real" at the same time. The Jet Set games are great, but the cel shading is a little loud for my taste; DK2's seem somehow more subtle and, to me, just right.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
but I think the artistic design in the first outweighs the framerate and draw distance in the sequel.
I think you answered your own question. Jet Set/Grind Radio just had fantastic art direction that continues to put it ahead of the pack.

It will very interesting to see XIII's implementation of comic book style panels.

-Dave

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Damn, I am sitting here trying to remember the title of a game that was cel-shaded/handdrawn (by Disney animators, well ex-animators) that dropped for the PS2. A sequel has been announced, man, it's on the tip of my brain.

It was stealthy and fun.

EDIT: Mark of Kri

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dean-

Cel-shading is not the artistic style/technique, it's the technical implementation. For example, in Rogue Leader, the computer visor puts an overlay over the different objects and ships in the field. This is another use of cel-shading.

I said Fear Effect's artistic style spawned cel-shading, but not that it WAS cel-shaded.

And Dragon's Lair isn't the only game that was made to make it look like it was all hand-drawn; MANY games are done to look like they're hand-drawn, but that doesn't make them cel-shaded.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Wasn't Wacky Races the first implementation of technical cel-shading, not Jet Grind?

-j

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Wacky Races is a fun game, and so is Loony Tunes Space Race, both perfect cel-shaded cartoon-based games for the Dreamcast (and what's with Sony calling Auto Modellista "cell shaded"?).

A sequel [to Mark of Kri] has been announced
Are you sure? It didn't sell very well, though you could probably classify it as a "cult" title. You can get it new at Best Buy for $9.99 now. And it wasn't cel-shaded at all, I don't think, though the loading screens looked hand-animated.

Ryan*Pr*

Agent
I think Dark Cloud 2 is a great example of what cel shading can be. The colors and textures are fantastic, but "real" at the same time. The Jet Set games are great, but the cel shading is a little loud for my taste; DK2's seem somehow more subtle and, to me, just right.
I agree that DC2 did a good job with the graphics. I have not played some of the other titles talked about here, but the graphics on DC2 flow very nicely and it has made me like cel-shading.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't have much to say except, "Damn you all for making me want to dust off Jet Grind Radio and finish it! As if I wasn't over my head in other games I'm trying to squeeze in, now I NEED to play JGR !!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks