Cel Shading

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesH, Jul 19, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I find it odd that nobody has really been able to improve upon the originator of cel shading: Jet Grind Radio. I hooked it up to my HDTV via the VGA box yesterday and I was suprised to see that even three years later, it still looks a lot better than recent releases such as Zelda: WW and upcoming games like XIII. For example, while Zelda has characters with higher poly counts, the environments are bland and washed out, and the textures show a huge lack of effort. Some could make a case for JSRF, but I think the artistic design in the first outweighs the framerate and draw distance in the sequel.

Any thoughts as to why nobody has been able to beat out the innovator after all this time?

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Actually, the technique that creates the cel-shaded look was first used in Jet Grind Radio for Dreamcast, but was spawned from the artistic style of Fear Effect for PlayStation (which, to this day, looks freaking cool, even if it's age is showing).

Dragon's Lair was not cel-shaded.

4. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I think Dark Cloud 2 is a great example of what cel shading can be. The colors and textures are fantastic, but "real" at the same time. The Jet Set games are great, but the cel shading is a little loud for my taste; DK2's seem somehow more subtle and, to me, just right.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

6. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Damn, I am sitting here trying to remember the title of a game that was cel-shaded/handdrawn (by Disney animators, well ex-animators) that dropped for the PS2. A sequel has been announced, man, it's on the tip of my brain.

It was stealthy and fun.

EDIT: Mark of Kri

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Dean-

Cel-shading is not the artistic style/technique, it's the technical implementation. For example, in Rogue Leader, the computer visor puts an overlay over the different objects and ships in the field. This is another use of cel-shading.

I said Fear Effect's artistic style spawned cel-shading, but not that it WAS cel-shaded.

And Dragon's Lair isn't the only game that was made to make it look like it was all hand-drawn; MANY games are done to look like they're hand-drawn, but that doesn't make them cel-shaded.

8. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Wasn't Wacky Races the first implementation of technical cel-shading, not Jet Grind?

-j

9. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Wacky Races is a fun game, and so is Loony Tunes Space Race, both perfect cel-shaded cartoon-based games for the Dreamcast (and what's with Sony calling Auto Modellista "cell shaded"?).

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

12. Ryan*Pr*

Ryan*Pr* Agent

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

14. Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley Stunt Coordinator

Well, I don't have much to say except, "Damn you all for making me want to dust off Jet Grind Radio and finish it! As if I wasn't over my head in other games I'm trying to squeeze in, now I NEED to play JGR !!!"