What's new

Zelda for Cube to remain Cel-Shaded. Thank you Miyamoto (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
http://www.n-sider.com/main.php?page...41502zelda.htm
I think I'm a minority here, but I'm glad to see that Miyamoto is sticking with the cel-shaded idea for the next Legend of Zelda.
I love the new look. It's different than what we've seen before but yet, because of a similar style, it also takes me back to the time of the original Zelda. To me, this is what The Legend of Zelda (1987) would have looked like if it were in 3-D.
In a press conference held today in Tokyo, legendary game-designer Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed what has already been confirmed time and time again: the Legend of Zelda for the GameCube will be cel-shaded.
In addition, Miyamoto also reaffirmed that Link's somewhat chibi style eyes have gone through some slight alterations, and that we'll see the results of the changes in May; the industry legend was very firm about no new Zelda screenshots being released before E3, clearly desiring gamers to actually play the game before passing judgement upon it.
"A game should not be judged only on its appearance," he stated. "It should be played before drawing conclusions."
Though Nintendo has denied reports of the cel-shaded version of Zelda being reconsidered in the past, rumours about a more "realistic" version of the game refuse to die. Hopefully, this latest press conference will silence individuals who still insist that the first original Zelda title for the GameCube will not be cel-shaded.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I don't care if Zelda is stick figures, I'm sure Miyamoto will, unless he's having a rare off day, make a cracking game of this.

That said, I AM glad he's sticking to his own artistic vision and not giving in to whiny people who seem fit to pre-judge something without even giving it a chance.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Put me down as one of the whiny people. The cel shaded look is a major step backwards from what was originally shown.

The game will probably still be great and it will still sell - I just feel the more realistic look would have been a better experience.

AngioDan

Grip
What was originally shown was a screen shot from SSBM, which everyone assumed was the new Zelda, including myself.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Link's somewhat chibi style eyes have gone through some slight alterations
Again, this is all I need to hear. The super-deformed style of Link shown in the initial Celda Demo (the 'big-eye look, specifically) was, in my opinion, not very good looking. If Miyamoto wants to create a cute Chiba Kart racing title with big Super-Deformed Zeldas, Links and Samuses, that's fine.

-j

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled that Miyamoto has stuck to his guns. I'd rather see him stay true to his wants and fail than to change based on demands and churn out a successful, but modified product.

I trust Miyamoto to release a compelling Zelda game. I won't have anything further to say on it until I play it. Even OoT didn't look like it's first preview when it eventually arrived.

I can't wait to play Zelda, but have a feeling I'll be waiting until Q2 2003.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I'm happy with it. The Legend of Zelda began cartoonish and can stay that way as far as I'm concerned. Not everything needs to or should aspire to realism.

It is indeed the gameplay that counts, of course.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Gameplay and the director's intent are the two most important things about a game.

Who cares if the game is realistic. I'm sure that everyone thought the NES, SNES, and GB games were realistic, so why not make this one in the same style? (that was sarcasm, not mistyping)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I went over to IGN and re-watched the video clip from SpaceWorld 2001.
Im serious guys. I LOVE how this game looks. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Different strokes for different folks. I just don't like cel shaded type animation.
No sarcasm here - just stating a personal preference.:thumbsdown:

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
if there was a choice between realistic looking zelda and cel shaded zelda, i would prefer the first choice; but i dont have any complaint for the cel shading zelda. as long as it has good gameplay, count me in. besides it is miyamoto we are talking about, not george romero.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
felix-

I think thats how most people are looking at it, and to an extent, I agree. Gameplay is most important, but if he wants to convery a serious mood or evoke emotional responses (like fear, happiness, sadness, etc.) then the realistic version would be better.

There are still rumors that the game could incorporate several styles. It supposedly takes place in a storybook, so people have said there may be several books, with a different style in each.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You guys can go ahead and argue till the seasons change. :)
I'm happy either way. It's another Zelda game for me to enjoy.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
i'll add another vote to the "it's the gameplay that counts" camp.

I mean, Ape Escape is an ultra-kid looking game, yet has to be one the best platformers i ever played.

and for a recent game, check out REZ... polygonal graphics, and yet, to me at least, lotsa fun.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I was skimming over the notes that were included with my Man Who Wasn't There dvd and noticed the Coens talking about filming in black & white and the stigma against it. It occurs to me that cel-shading is shaping up to be something similar in gaming. I figure if it's what a game designer wants to do it should be done and I admire Miyamoto for sticking with his decision to use it. (Not that I care about Zelda games. Not my cup of tea, no matter what style they're in :))

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I don't especially like the cel-shaded look and wish the upcoming game were more in line with the original 'realistic' look. That said, I've only ever played OCARINA OF TIME and don't have any real familiarity with the earlier, more cartoony Zelda games.

It's interesting though to see on igncube that there will reportedly be two different Zelda releases on Gamecube this year. Details are due out in the next day or so but one of them could be a compilation of all the earlier Zelda games. I ditched my N64 so it'd be nice to pick it up to check out MAJORA'S MASK and have a copy of OoTime to keep for old time's sake.

They said there could be two different Mario games out this year too, (not counting Luigi's Mansion, which I realise isn't a Mario game per se). Hmmmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks