Killer7, Anyone Else Got It?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Farmer, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Picked up Killer7 yesterday, fantastic game. It's a total head trip though. Definitely the most unique game I've played in a long long time.

It's a really tough game to describe. The best I can do with is to go back a decade to the aborted idea of "interactive movies." Killer7 fits that description better than any game I've seen yet. All the funky design decisions, and there are many, really serve to heighten this feeling.

Capcom freely admitted to designing the game's style first, then molding the game around it, and it shows. The on-rails navigation cuts down on blind wandering around and attempts to learn the layout of the game, much less searcing the environment's nooks and crannies for hidden secrets. Rather, you're being rapidly propelled from one area to the next and are simply along for the ride. If there's something important in the environment, you can be sure the game will point it out to you. It also works to give the feeling that you're in charge of these 7 physical manifestations of Harman's personality; you're the commander and not the actual characters. Myst was first person so you felt that you were the character wandering around despite the limited navigation, but the 3rd person perspective here really gives you the feeling of being an overlord. It wouldn't work for many games, but it does here.

The puzzles overall are pretty simplistic. Each of the 7 characters has a special move they're capable of, so you can brute force most of them. The others are slight puzzle elements that involve manipulating the environment in a strange but relatively obvious way, getting an item from there, and taking that item across the level to somewhere else to unlock a door. Standard stuff, but it works fine.

The shooting is also straightforward. Hear laughter, stop running forward and get out your gun. Scan for enemies, locate weak spot, and blow the bejeezus out of them. Not hugely difficult, but again, it works.

As for the plot/style, think if Quentin Tarantino was to direct a Myst-style game with cel-shaded graphics. There are definitely elements that remind me of Kill Bill, and the basic feel of the world even feels straight out of Tarantino's universe. It's definitely very compelling, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

From a technical standpoint the game is very well done. Sound, while not bombastic, is well done. Each characters weapons have very distinctive sounds that are appropriate for what they're using, from Dan's magnum to Con's knives to Mask's grenade launchers. Environmental sounds are well-integrated and add to the sense of immersion. The graphics aren't going to stun you visually, but again, they serve the style of the game perfectly. They're definitely gorgeous when taken on their own terms, and character animation is fluid and convincing.

This game is not going to sell a lot of copies, and it's not going to strongly influence other games. It was done completely in reverse, with the visual and story elements planned first and everything else shoehorned in to fit. That means that the gameplay is so far out there and so restrictive compared to what's expected and standard in other games that it really wouldn't be suitable to be used elsewhere, but it also results in a surprisingly cohesive experience. There is nothing extraneous here; everything is a specific means to a specific end. It's undeniably strange, bizzarre, and different, but taken on its own terms and for what it's trying to be, not what you expect it to be, it's an outstanding achievement and one I highly recommend.

2. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

I haven't picked it up (yet), but I did get a chance to play it for a few minutes at a local game shop a few days ago. It looks like Capcom has created another great game that will become a huge cult favorite, but sell poorly.

I plan to pick it up soon. I love "quirky" games.

3. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I plan to pick it up used, since it sounds like it isn't worth $50. I prefer long platformers like Psychonauts or Ratchet and Clank and Price of Persia, and I find when I pay full price for a game not in that mold, I'm usually disappointed (Destroy All Humans being a recent example).

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'm also going to pick this one up used once it shows up, and I have a feeling that the used price will drop pretty quickly. Sounds like a cool concept though, and the gamespot review is quite good. One of those games that you need to play, but not that you want to shell out the $50 for.

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I have it checked out from Gamefly, and after playing it for 20 minutes, I will probably end up buying it at some point. I really dig the style and as soon as I saw Iwazaru I knew it was my type of game.