What's new

CD Recorders - Any suggestions for a quality recorder? (1 Viewer)

bolorkay

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
I am mostly interested in preserving some "Older" cassette tapes that are not available on cd thus preserving them and, in some cases recording LPS (which as above are not available on cd.) thus preserving the lps in a more "accessible " format

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I am mostly interested in preserving some "Older" cassette tapes that are not available on cd thus preserving them and, in some cases recording LPS (which as above are not available on cd.) thus preserving the lps in a more "accessible " format

The easiest way to do this, is on a desktop computer with a decent soundcard and some old analog stereo equipment. An opensource program like Audacity can digitally encode a line-in analog signal going through the line-in input on a soundcard.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

I agree with jcroy, you can use something like this attached to your PC and then burn the output to CD using the PC's optical drive.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, (if that's the case, I apologize.). What I'm looking for is a good, CD recording "unit". (someone did mentioned "Tascam"... is that the only one available, these days?)

Yes, the TASCAM is pretty much the sole remaining "affordable" CD Recorder left on the market. I have one and it makes great copies. I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, just a dude with a big vinyl collection with a LOT of music that never made it to CD. There's another recorder available, the VocoPro CDR-1000, but it's close to $700. I know next to nothing about them.

The TASCAM is perfect for transferring analog audio to CDs and, in my experience, much easier than using a desktop. I tried the PC route and couldn't figure out how to do it. People say it's easy but that's because they've been doing it for decades so it's easy for THEM. For newbies, it can be nightmarish even attempting. I've been enjoying transferring my vinyl to CD even though it can be a little tedious. The results are great-sounding CDs of music that was never available on CD to begin with. The only drawback is I'm not able to edit or eliminate the pops and crackles, so I have to put up with some poorly-timed tracks but I actually don't mind the vintage vinyl crackles :)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Speaking of CDs, I was in the market for a dedicated CD changer to listen to all those new homemade discs and was shocked to discover the only widely available changer still being made and sold is the Onkyo DX-C390. It's not expensive but not cheap either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks