What's new

CBS NFL in HD (1 Viewer)

mike caronia

Second Unit
Just looked over at CBS' site and it says the Chiefs/Chargers game will be broadcast in HD. How does that work for us New Yorkers where the CBS game will be Bills/Pats?
I just had a dish an antennae installed on the roof today (for a new HD satellite service/ I'll do a thread on that when I have some more info for y'all). I am receiving CBS in HD, the tennis looks amazing. Just really curious if I'm going to see that HD game tomorrow.
Anyone know?
thanx

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyone who has a local team will get that game.
cities areas that have no local team will get the national game.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
or if you have sunday ticket, you get all the games available in hd.

channels 70-71-72 have been opened for the hd games.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
One game a week will be in HD on CBS, they will decide from week to week which one. If you have DirecTv and NFL ticket you will get this game each week. ESPN HD will have Sunday Night Football in HD each week- available on DirecTv's HDTV package and soon to be on Dish Network and on some cable stations.
The games look awesome in HD! They look pathetic on regular DirecTv channels. The Fox 480p widescreen games are slightly better but don't even compare to HD.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
or if you have sunday ticket, you get all the games available in hd.

channels 70-71-72 have been opened for the hd games.
How can all of the games be in HD when there's only 3 channels dedicated to this?

I take it that you have to have the DirecTV HDTV package in order to get these games in HD? I bought the Sat C package a while ago and have a DirecTV HDTV receiver but have yet to hook it up (just using it for OTA). So far I haven't really been able to justify the additional $$ for the HDTV package. The Steelers broadcast looked so bad on Sunday that if I can get the Steeelers game in HDTV each week, the cost will be justified. Take note that the Steelers game is NOT a local game for me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
How can all of the games be in HD when there's only 3 channels dedicated to this?
CBS is only broadcasting one game per weekend in HD. Fox is broadcasting two games per weekend in "Fox Widescreen" (i.e. 480p signal from 480i cameras). That's probably what the three reserved DirecTV channels are for.

I am not a DirecTV customer, so whether I get any CBS-HD or Fox widescreen games locally is totally dependent on which games the local affiliates show. Last weekend I was 0 for 3 between CBS and Fox. :frowning: We had Detroit - Arizona and San Fran - Chicago on Fox, and Indy - Cleveland on CBS. Well, at least I am guaranteed two games per weekend (ESPN-HD and ABC MNF). That's two more than last season. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Check out the CBS HDTV website, they list each game they will broadcast in HDTV. This week it will be NE at Phil, next week Cle at SF, I can not wait as Cablevision has just added WCBSHD and PBSHD and soon to be FOXHD as HDTV digital channels. I was never so happy to see an ep as CSI Miami last night, wow.

Is High Def football as good as as I hope it will be, who has experienced it yet?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is High Def football as good as as I hope it will be, who has experienced it yet?
It's a huge improvement over standard analog broadcasts. Colors are more vibrant and everything looks so clear and detailed. Unfortunately, not all cameras are HD, so you will get some angles that are still analog (ABC's Skycam being the most notable).

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Only player close ups are crisper. The long shots of actual plays in progress are SD on Fox. Ill tell you about CBS next week, oh, wait, Youll see for yourself.

Edit. No I wont, the Jets are in SD. What the hell did I but this TV for?

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
Last year was my first NFL game in HD and it was awesome!(Titans playoff game)
This year there are 3 NFL games per week in HD- nice improvement!(MNF, Sunday Night Football and one CBS game)
On DirecTv with the HD package $10.95 a month and NFL ticket I get all but MNF- cause I don't live near an OTA broadcast.
The NFL games in HD are unbelievable! Even far away the players are crystal clear and a bright picture. This is why I bought my HDTV four years ago and now it is reality. I am excited because the Vikings play the Bears Sunday night on ESPN HD. And in November they play the Packers on that channel!
As far as Fox widescreen 480p, it does not impress me at all. It is slightly brighter and sharper than a normal satellite channel but has a strange color and grain and not very pleasing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As far as Fox widescreen 480p, it does not impress me at all. It is slightly brighter and sharper than a normal satellite channel but has a strange color and grain and not very pleasing.
Fox is still using 480i cameras as their source, and then upconverting to 480p. That's why it doesn't look very good. Since the network is finally embracing 720p HD for some of their prime time studio shows, hopefully we will get some NFC games in HD next season.

During the playoffs last year, even my wife (who rarely notices these things) commented on the huge difference in quality between CBS's HD game and Fox's "widescreen" game.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Fox widescreen is a big step up from cable. Since I'm a Giants fan in the NY/NJ area and Fox has two widescreen games, I'll probably get most of the games in EDTV on Fox. This works out better than if I were a Jets fan and never drawing Simms and Gumbel for the season.

During halftime, CBS HD switched to the Chiefs game instead of the studio, and those few minutes made Fox look like cable. We're getting the NE/Philly game on account of the Giants being on MNF, and I can't wait to watch a full game in true HD (and watch the Eagles lose again).

mike caronia

Second Unit
Wow! Left the Jet debacle early in the 4th today, got home to watch some serious HDTV!
The Pats/Eagles game looked unbelievable. CBS really looks great. Makes FOX look foolish.

C'mon Rupert...spend the money...do it right!!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I had to pick up my jaw on a few ocassions while watching the NFL on CBS in HDTV today, the crispness and immediacy of the telecast is very much appreciated, it spoils me to the extent that conventional NFL telecasts are just not up to snuff anymore.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Wow. To watch the Eagles get totally spanked and dominated is a treat in and of itself. But to see it unfold in Hi-Def? Couldn't have asked for more.

Football in HD is an experience not to be missed. Totally drool-worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks