What's new

why won't Cox add more HD channels? (1 Viewer)

ChrisNev

Auditioning
I moved back to RI last July from the Boston area. I was very happy with Comcast's HD service, especially the amount of channels they had available as well as the frequency in which they added new channels as they became available.

Now that I have had Cox cable for about 6 months now, I'm very disappointed. They haven't added any new HD channels since I began receiving their service. Currently, they offer ABC, INDH1, INDH2, WGBH, ESPN, and DISC. The biggies that are missing are Fox and CBS, which Comcast has had for at least a year already (actually more because I watched the Superbowl and all the NFL playoffs last year in HD on CBS).

Cox continues to advertise for its HD service but it's laughable. All the major networks are now advertising HD, especially Fox since they had the World Series and will have the Superbowl. It was bad enough not being able to watch the Red Sox in the WS in HD when every other Fox promo was about HD. I'm now preparing myself to not be able to watch the Pats in the SB in HD.

I have a direct number to a Cox customer service rep who, admittedly, gave me a good offer when I initially signed up. However, when I call and ask him about Cox's HD plans, it sounds like he has no idea.

What gives? I'm very frustrated.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
There is an article today in the Baltimore Sun entitled "Fans with HDTV fume at Super Bowl picture". Baltimore City residents will not get the Super Bowl in HD and many are frustrated because they bought their big HD sets for Christmas with the idea of showing them off at Super Bowl parties. I imagine the deal in your neck of the woods is the same thing. BTW, you can check out the article yourself on the Sun's website though you might have to free register.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...home-headlines

According to the article, the deal is this. When the government mandated that all stations equip themselves to broadcast digitally, it was basically requiring an investment of $1 million per station. In exchange for forcing this expense, the government gave the stations additional broadcast spectrums for free (these are usually very expensive). Now, the broadcast stations want the cable companies to foot part of the $1 million bill by kicking back to the broadcast stations a fee - the paper mentions 50 cents per subscriber (maybe HD and non-HD subscribers both?) per month. The cable companies have steadfastly refused to do this and usually reach some sort of settlement with the broadcast companies by giving them preferred channel locations on the cable guide, etc.

Some of the fights have not been resolved and neither side is budging. Sounds like you are in the same boat as Baltimore City.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This is why I'm going to continue receiving my HDTV OTA. Until there is a critical mass of stations broadcasting in HD on cable, it isn't really worth the money for me. Especially considering I'm spending $85 a month as is for cable and cable modem...

Jason

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
If Cox was cheaper I would get digital. Got a TV but no digital service. Still havent bought a OTA reciever. I have 85 for tv and modem too. I dont want to spend over 100 on tv and internet. I wish they would provide you with just the regular channels in HD for the same price. Like what you would get from OTA. Like Comcast for example, its called, QUAM? QUM? QAM? right?

I agree Cox definately needs more HD channels.. They also need more On Demand Channels/choices. I'm jealous of Comcast (which is only a mile away from me) which has tons of On Demand.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
As a Home Theater member, how can you justify On Demand, much less more?

Most of it is FULLSCREEN!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Comcast ON Demand has a significant number of new releases in widescreen format. Most of the big films are available in widescreen in my area. I normally would never do On Demand, but since these films are OAR, I've found myself watching some that I would otherwise rent instead of buy. My Comcast (Boston area) also offers a few On Demand films in HD, but they are expensive and mostly IMAX features.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Here in San Diego county we get INHD, INHD2, FoxHD, CBSHD, NBCHD,ABCHD, ESPN, DISC, UNIHD, PBSHD via Cox cable. I wish they would get the TNTHD channel.;)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I believe the biggest hold up for Fox in certain areas are the ones owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. Those areas (Here in OK as well) are being held up because Cox doesn't want to pay more to show something that is already being broadcasted OTA for free and is already on their channel line up in SDTV. Sinclair wants more money, so they'll have to work that out first.

ChrisNev

Auditioning

Unfortunately that's not an option for me (I don't think) since I'm in an apartment building.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks