What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

CBS Home Video/MOD RIP (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
In that case, just drop the show and play nothing but the logo! Seriously, please do not EVER under any circumstances quote me in anything mentioning it in any context whatsoever.

You also illustrated why, as a rule, I tend to prefer Paramount's sitcoms to WB's.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It's not over yet between CBS and VEI, because...
https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/posts/10157808945056063?__tn__=K-R

According to TV Shows on DVD on Facebook, the Australian series Return to Eden is going to be out on DVD here (NTSC, Region 1). And that 1983 miniseries, which also involved help from Hanna-Barbera's former Australian arm, is where I found this rare Paramount Television tall-peak logo with the 1979 music...

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It's not over yet between CBS and VEI, because...
https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/posts/10157808945056063?__tn__=K-R

According to TV Shows on DVD on Facebook, the Australian series Return to Eden is going to be out on DVD here (NTSC, Region 1). And that 1983 miniseries, which also involved help from Hanna-Barbera's Australian arm, is where I found this rare Paramount Television tall-peak logo with the 1979 music...

~Ben

Were this and Taxi (Taxi in its fifth and final go, and only NBC season after four gos on ABC [1978-82]) the only things to use that tall-peaked Mtn. w/1979 jingle)?

Also, another thing I'm wondering: why would this and Taxi have the tall Mtn. w/1979 jingle, whereas other things had the same logo with bombastic jingle (The Renegades, Ryan's Four, Matthew Star, Cheers) or had the normal Mtn. (Family Ties, possibly Mr. Smith, etc.)?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Were this and Taxi (Taxi in its fifth and final go, and only NBC season after four gos on ABC [1978-82]) the only things to use that tall-peaked Mtn. w/1979 jingle)?

Also, another thing I'm wondering: why would this and Taxi have the tall Mtn. w/1979 jingle, whereas other things had the same logo with bombastic jingle (The Renegades, Ryan's Four, Matthew Star, Cheers) or had the normal Mtn. (Family Ties, possibly Mr. Smith, etc.)?
I wish I knew more as to why, but also...

Don't forget the use of the same logo I mention on overseas reruns of Stephen J. Cannell material like The Greatest American Hero, The A-Team, Hardcastle & McCormick and Riptide, among others.

(this old French rerun has the show's music playing under both logos, for some reason)

One pre-1979 episode of Happy Days post-1984 also used this rare version: "The Apartment" (from season 5).

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I wish I knew more as to why, but also...

Don't forget the use of the same logo I mention on overseas reruns of Stephen J. Cannell material like The Greatest American Hero, The A-Team, Hardcastle & McCormick and Riptide, among others.

(this old French rerun has the show's music playing under both logos, for some reason)

One pre-1979 episode of Happy Days post-1984 also used this rare version: "The Apartment" (from season 5).

~Ben

I think I saw that exact clip (the Riptide one) on YouTube a time back. And as for the other thing, I read something on the CLG Wiki that said just the same thing as you're saying, and I wonder why they would do that.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I think I saw that exact clip (the Riptide one) on YouTube a time back. And as for the other thing, I read something on the CLG Wiki that said just the same thing as you're saying, and I wonder why they would do that.
I am not sure but I think Mr. Smith may have had the normal peak version + the 1979 jingle, as like Best of the West, it was co-produced by Weinberger-Daniels Productions.

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I am not sure but I think Mr. Smith may have had the normal peak version + the 1979 jingle, as like Best of the West, it was co-produced by Weinberger-Daniels Productions.

Interesting that Paramount Television had different variations of their Blue Mtn. for different shows then (normal peak '79 for Mr. Smith, Best of the West, etc., tall-peak bombastic for The Renegades, Ryan's Four, Matthew Star, etc., and so on and so forth).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
If there is one thing that throws me off about He & She, according to the not-so-reliable Wikipedia, Warner Bros. has North American syndication rights, while Viacom handled it elsewhere, but according to IMDB (also not quite reliable), Viacom handled syndication rights both in North America and worldwide.

~Ben

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
If there is one thing that throws me off about He & She, according to the not-so-reliable Wikipedia, Warner Bros. has North American syndication rights, while Viacom handled it elsewhere, but according to IMDB (also not quite reliable), Viacom handled syndication rights both in North America and worldwide.

~Ben
Approximately 2 years ago I asked Warner Archive about that and they replied that they don't have the rights.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wonder if The show Models Inc. from the Beverly Hills 90210 franchise will get a physical media release to complete the franchise home media release.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
What I really want released is Out of the Blue (1979) as it is considered to be a spin-off of both Happy Days and Mork & Mindy.

~Ben

Kinda sorta somewhat. Mork appeared in the pilot episode, and apparently Random (Out of the Blue's protagonist) appeared in a Happy Days episode a week later. Some people don't consider it a spin-off in the usual sense, because the appearances were done more to promote the show than anything creative.

CBS pulled a similar thing a few years later. To give a boost to their then-new sitcom E/R, they had Sherman Hemsley guest-star in the pilot as George Jefferson, who was supposed to be the uncle of Lynne Moody's character. Again, the connection was too artificial to be taken seriously.

E/R was a delightful, and unfortunately short (a single season) sitcom with Elliott Gould and Mary McDonnell. Jason Alexander and George Clooney played recurring characters. And not to be confused with ER, another Chicago-set hospital show with George Clooney.:D

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
E/R was a delightful, and unfortunately short (a single season) sitcom with Elliott Gould and Mary McDonnell. Jason Alexander and George Clooney played recurring characters. And not to be confused with ER, another Chicago-set hospital show with George Clooney.:D

And IIRC, that one was the only time an actor played in similarly named shows of different genres (E/R the CBS medical comedy of '84, and ER the NBC medical drama of '94).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
CBS pulled a similar thing a few years later. To give a boost to their then-new sitcom E/R, they had Sherman Hemsley guest-star in the pilot as George Jefferson, who was supposed to be the uncle of Lynne Moody's character. Again, the connection was too artificial to be taken seriously.

Lifetime had the reruns rights to both that and Double Trouble in the late 1980s. I remember them from there but haven't seen them in years. Both were from Embassy so they're Sony's to deal with now.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yeah, Lifetime was where I discovered E/R. I wasn't watching a lot of TV when it was first on. Lifetime was also where I discovered thirtysomething and Sisters, and caught up with China Beach (which I started watching in its fourth season, and L.A. Law.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Yeah, Lifetime was where I discovered E/R. I wasn't watching a lot of TV when it was first on. Lifetime was also where I discovered thirtysomething and Sisters, and caught up with China Beach (which I started watching in its fourth season, and L.A. Law.
It was also on Lifetime that I first discovered Duet and its sequel for the final season, Open House. I do wish CBS would work on that for a DVD release. Season 1 originally had two one-hour specials (episodes 1 and 6, later re-run as episodes 1-2 and 7-8) when initially on FOX in 1987.

~Ben

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Duet started out great, but someone figured more emphasis should be given to Fonzie, ...uh, I mean Alison LaPlaca's character and two years were skipped to make her newborn baby a wise-cracking kid. One by one most of the original actors left the series along with any charm and intelligence. (Might as well have moved to California (see Laverne & Shirley and The Lucy Show).)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Duet started out great, but someone figured more emphasis should be given to Fonzie, ...uh, I mean Alison LaPlaca's character and two years were skipped to make her newborn baby a wise-cracking kid. One by one most of the original actors left the series along with any charm and intelligence. (Might as well have moved to California (see Laverne & Shirley and The Lucy Show).)

Open House might actually have a chance if they can find a way to emphasize Ellen DeGeneres being in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks