What's new

CBS Home Video/MOD RIP (1 Viewer)

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon is showing How To Marry A Millionaire -The Complete Series as a pre order ., but still MOD. So perhaps CBS/Paramount's MOD program isn't really dead .
That listing has been there for 3 years. It was posted when the individual seasons were posted. I ordered it in 2017. After over a year of waiting, I finally cancelled my order in December 2018 and ordered the individual seasons.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
For all future releases, will Paramount themselves have a logo to replace the CBSHE logo?
Who gives a damn?
I assume the same people who obsess over original logos on end credits
Good point-- that is indeed a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

I'm a "both sides have validity" in this particular issue. I don't think "original logos" qualifies as an obsession unless someone decides that they aren't going to buy something if they are missing. I think all of the original logo cards are part of the show's/film's history and replacing them with updated cards are, in a sense, re-writing that history.

On the other hand, if that's the price we have to pay for getting the shows/films released, it's a price I'm more than willing to pay,

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
These sets can be so hard to produce given the budget and time limitations the people working on them face. When I was working on making DVDs I always strove to achieve the best quality possible but sometimes you get stuck in a position where an irritating but mostly inconsequential error slips through and there’s not much you can do other than shake your fist at the air in frustration, drop a silent “f” bomb to yourself, and try not to lose sleep over it.

I once worked on bringing a show to disc that had almost entirely equal end credits. One episode had the credits damaged beyond repair on all available copies, and I decided to include it as is for historical value. I got some flak for that. Next time I had the same scenario, I replaced it with the closest possible version in pristine condition, and I got flak for that too. Sometimes you just can’t win. I was just happy that I was able to salvage the episodes off old tape that was literally deteriorating in front of my eyes and if the end credits was all that was lost, I was ready to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good and consider that a victory.

The only instance I've noticed regarding incorrect credits was the Warner set of the original Jonny Quest series. There were some episodes that appeared to have the correct credits, but a significant number of them had the exact same credits, with incorrect credits for writers/directors or "additional voices". They were corrected for the WAC blu-ray release. At least I believe so; I haven't gone over all of them, just looked at a bunch to see if the credits varied or were identical.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm a "both sides have validity" in this particular issue. I don't think "original logos" qualifies as an obsession unless someone decides that they aren't going to buy something if they are missing. I think all of the original logo cards are part of the show's/film's history and replacing them with updated cards are, in a sense, re-writing that history.

On the other hand, if that's the price we have to pay for getting the shows/films released, it's a price I'm more than willing to pay,

Thank you! Yes, I feel the Logos are as much a part of the TV series history as the correct credits and, if I'm gonna be honest, the In Color cards if they were made specifically for a series. I'd love to have all of that stuff restored in vintage releases, along with "pause for station identification" billboards, but I'm apparantly the only one who wants those.

I picked up the Mill Creek I Dream Of Jeannie complete set even though I had the Sony releases, even with the compression, because a) it was cheap b) they defaulted to b&w for the first season and c) the put the Screen Gems logo back on.

Now, I totally get it if a film studio no longer holds rights or is defunct and the current rights holder replaces the logo with their own. That sucks as a TV historian (or a nostalgic hobbyist), but it's not make or break. But if the same studio owns the show, I would always prefer the original logos. I grew up on Screen Gems and those 5 seconds at the end of I Dream of Jeannie mean a LOT to me. As do the orignal Paramount logos, Four Star, and the Lorimar logo at the end of Dallas.

When I watch Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer or The Year Without a Santa Claus, the Rankin Bass logo had better be there.

Now if only the CBS Special Presentation intro were in front of the Peanuts specials, I'd plotz.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Thank you! Yes, I feel the Logos are as much a part of the TV series history as the correct credits and, if I'm gonna be honest, the In Color cards if they were made specifically for a series. I'd love to have all of that stuff restored in vintage releases, along with "pause for station identification" billboards, but I'm apparantly the only one who wants those.

I totally agree, so there's at least two of us.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Three! Many of the best releases have had the logos as they were then.
Four!

I find it rather jarring when a classic TV show ends and the final company logo is a modern one from the new distributor (looking mostly at *you* CBS! but also Universal, who puts theirs on the front *and* end, and WB for the very annoying "Kabong" logo at the end of many HB cartoon releases - at least Warner's presented everything released on BR as it originally aired with no additions).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Four!

I find it rather jarring when a classic TV show ends and the final company logo is a modern one from the new distributor (looking mostly at *you* CBS! but also Universal, who puts theirs on the front *and* end, and WB for the very annoying "Kabong" logo at the end of many HB cartoon releases - at least Warner's presented everything released on BR as it originally aired with no additions).

And Sony, who acted like SPT was behind T.J. Hooker and Blue Thunder when those ABC series were on originally, instead of keeping CPT's 80s Coke Lady.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi all,

It was my understanding that CBS home video closed down, yet on the CBS Home Video Facebook page, it seems they are continuing to offer DVD sets.
Whats the story ?

John

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I dont know why my new thread was moved to this older thread.
I saw all these posts earlier on, but was wondering if CBS home video had re-emerged given all the offerings seen on the CBS Facebook page.

John

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Most likely ViacomCBS is too lazy to change the name of the facebook page. Why bother anymore?

That page appears to be nothing more than press releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I dont know why my new thread was moved to this older thread.
I saw all these posts earlier on, but was wondering if CBS home video had re-emerged given all the offerings seen on the CBS Facebook page.

John
Because it doesn't make sense to start a new thread when you can simply ask the same question here.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Bob,

I was just looking for a yes or no answer with regards to CBS home video.
Wasn't looking to start another similar thread, but I understand your reasoning.

John

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Now if only the CBS Special Presentation intro were in front of the Peanuts specials, I'd plotz.
The Peanuts specials need the Coca Cola sponsorship at the end of the program. The beginnings and ends of at least the Christmas and Halloween specials are always cut off to remove that sponsorship.

1613861336115.png

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I found this video on youtube which details all the changes made to "A Charlie Brown Christmas " since it was first broadcast.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
When Paramount had the home video rights to the Peanuts specials, they were the first to restore the original (minus Coca-Cola insignia) uncut version of A Charlie Brown Christmas. I had their laserdisc of it (1979's You're the Greatest, Charlie Brown was the B-side). The last licensor was Media Home Entertainment who put it out through Hi-Tops Video on tape, and they had the same slightly edited version CBS was airing by the end of the 1980s, which cut everything from Linus saying "they sure look ripe to me" regarding December vs. January snowflakes to Schroeder saying "I believe you have a patient" to Lucy. The cut was very obvious and disjointed, and the abrupt change in the music score is a dead giveaway. Anything to squeeze in another commercial.

They still have the movies since CBS made the first two via Cinema Center Films and Paramount made the other two, and they restored 6 minutes cut from A Boy Named Charlie Brown by the time CBS/Fox released it on video.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
When they get the MOD market up and running again sometime, here is my latest want-list:
* December Bride (1954-59)
* Trackdown (1957-59)
* Pete and Gladys (1960-62)
* Breaking Point (1963-64)
* The Cara Williams Show (1964-65)
* Slattery's People (1964-65)
* He and She (1967-68)
* Barefoot in the Park (1970)
* Funny Face (1971) / The Sandy Duncan Show (1972)
* Me and the Chimp (1972)
* Love Story (TV series) (1973-74)
* Kate McShane (1975)
* The Cop and the Kid (1975-76)
* Serpico (TV series) (1976-77)
* Blansky's Beauties (1977)
* Out of the Blue (1979)
* Working Stiffs (1979)
* Struck by Lightning (1979) (only three of the 11 or so episodes aired on CBS!)
* The Associates (U.S.) (1979-80)
* Goodtime Girls (1980)
* Foul Play (1981)
* Making the Grade (1982)
* Star of the Family (1982) (RIP Brian Dennehy)
* The Renegades (1983)
* Ryan's Four (1983)
* Mr. Smith (1983)
* Duet (1987-89) / Open House (1989-90)
* Bronx Zoo (1987-88)
* Hard Knocks featuring Bill Maher (1987)
* Marblehead Manor (1987-88)
* Dear John (U.S.) (1988-92)

Series to continue releasing:
* Ben Casey (seasons 3-5, 1963-66)
* My Three Sons (the CBS/color years, seasons 7-12, 1966-72)

~Ben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks