CBS Home Video/MOD RIP

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There’s probably just enough revenue coming in from DVD and MOD to justify staying open in some form. It just doesn’t make sense if CBS and Paramount are now one company again for them each to have a unique home video department. And given the realities of the business today, whatever they do come up with will probably need to be smaller than what it’s replacing.
Nowadays I wonder if these giant media corporations are using the home video department, as a "dumping ground" for older less-able "has been" executives and almost-retired employees in good standing to let the clock run out for them, until they're eligible for the company pension.

Reactions: MatthewA

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
You know what I think Paramount Home Entertainment ought to do, once the dust has cleared, is to re-visit the Perry Mason DVD sets. According to a PM fan site, some owners report some episodes having different end credits on the DVDs. Also: many episodes from both seasons 6 and 7, as well as season 5, have the two parts of their end credits joined together as one; original broadcasts and early syndication/cable reruns had them spliced for one last commercial break.

One case of this is the premiere episode in the Season 7, volume 1 set, "The Case of the Nebulous Nephew." One person who owns a copy of season 7, volume 1 pointed out the end credits on this episode were actually from episode 233 (season 8, episode 22), "The Case of the Sad Sicilian."

~Ben

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One case of this is the premiere episode in the Season 7, volume 1 set, "The Case of the Nebulous Nephew." One person who owns a copy of season 7, volume 1 pointed out the end credits on this episode were actually from episode 233 (season 8, episode 22), "The Case of the Sad Sicilian."
Why would a seventh-season episode (the premiere, no less) have the closing from an eighth-season episode?

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
You know what I think Paramount Home Entertainment ought to do, once the dust has cleared, is to re-visit the Perry Mason DVD sets. According to a PM fan site, some owners report some episodes having different end credits on the DVDs. Also: many episodes from both seasons 6 and 7, as well as season 5, have the two parts of their end credits joined together as one; original broadcasts and early syndication/cable reruns had them spliced for one last commercial break.

~Ben
I notified my contact at CBS about those wrong end credits as soon as I got that volume. He thanked me for noticing but said they wouldn’t be fixing it. That’s the only incorrect one I’ve found.

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I notified my contact at CBS about those wrong end credits as soon as I got that volume. He thanked me for noticing but said they wouldn’t be fixing it. That’s the only incorrect one I’ve found.
Why would the error not be corrected?

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The profit margin on these releases is very slim given the decline in physical media sales; doing a fix and a recall could very easily cost as much as or more than the profits generated from putting out the set in the first place.

Reactions: Wezzo and Darby67

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
These sets can be so hard to produce given the budget and time limitations the people working on them face. When I was working on making DVDs I always strove to achieve the best quality possible but sometimes you get stuck in a position where an irritating but mostly inconsequential error slips through and there’s not much you can do other than shake your fist at the air in frustration, drop a silent “f” bomb to yourself, and try not to lose sleep over it.

I once worked on bringing a show to disc that had almost entirely equal end credits. One episode had the credits damaged beyond repair on all available copies, and I decided to include it as is for historical value. I got some flak for that. Next time I had the same scenario, I replaced it with the closest possible version in pristine condition, and I got flak for that too. Sometimes you just can’t win. I was just happy that I was able to salvage the episodes off old tape that was literally deteriorating in front of my eyes and if the end credits was all that was lost, I was ready to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good and consider that a victory.

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
These sets can be so hard to produce given the budget and time limitations the people working on them face. When I was working on making DVDs I always strove to achieve the best quality possible but sometimes you get stuck in a position where an irritating but mostly inconsequential error slips through and there’s not much you can do other than shake your fist at the air in frustration, drop a silent “f” bomb to yourself, and try not to lose sleep over it.

I once worked on bringing a show to disc that had almost entirely equal end credits. One episode had the credits damaged beyond repair on all available copies, and I decided to include it as is for historical value. I got some flak for that. Next time I had the same scenario, I replaced it with the closest possible version in pristine condition, and I got flak for that too. Sometimes you just can’t win. I was just happy that I was able to salvage the episodes off old tape that was literally deteriorating in front of my eyes and if the end credits was all that was lost, I was ready to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good and consider that a victory.
Great points-- in that case, I can see some justification.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of recent/current CBS shows on dvd, I have noticed they left the telecine in the video on the dvd versions of shows like Criminal Minds, etc .... in spite of the show being all done in HD since its inception.

Besides laziness, is there a reason for CBS leaving in the telecine on some of their recent/current tv show season sets on dvd?

Reactions: Sean Thompson

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It will be interesting to see what ViacomCBS does with Ray Donovan. For those who don't know, it was abruptly cancelled a few days ago without a satisfactory ending. (The producers were hoping for another season to wrap things up).

https://www.vulture.com/2020/02/ray-donovan-cancelled-showrunner-interview.html

If ViacomCBS does not release Ray Donovan season 7 on dvd, then it might be a sign of the times for current/future ViacomCBS shows not being released as dvd (or bluray) season sets.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My guess if ViacomCBS doesn't bother releasing season 7 of Ray Donovan due to too many complaints and ire, then I wouldn't be surprised if they end up dumping the rest of the Ray Donovan dvd inventory as a seasons 1-6 set in one of those giant 24-discs cases.

With a new regime in place at ViacomCBS' home video division, they don't want to start off on the wrong foot with possible failures which can be forseen.

In the above linked article (on vulture), the writer and producer asserts Ray Donovan ending on season 6 wouldn't have had issues with cliffhangers, etc ....

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

Another program that the reborn Paramount Home Entertainment should consider re-releasing on DVD soon is: War of the Worlds (TV series).

What I do not know is why the 1970 Paramount Television logo is used on the NTSC (Region 1) DVDs... the logo itself, it is presumed, is sourced from The Brady Bunch (season 3 or 5). On the PAL (Region 2) DVDs the correct 1987 Paramount Television logo is indeed used, as had original local syndicated broadcasts and the Heroes & Icons (H&I) reruns what the above link takes you to.

~Ben

Reactions: bmasters9

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Royce Fox