JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, my iTunes music catalog is 37,074 tracks, 2,196 albums and 677.21 GB, and I have a lot more to add. I guess I'll wait.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, graphical only browsing is an immediate no go for me as well. I miss the version of iTunes from like then years ago where it could be all text. I simply have too much music to want or care to have to look for it by picture.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, graphical only browsing is an immediate no go for me as well. I miss the version of iTunes from like then years ago where it could be all text. I simply have too much music to want or care to have to look for it by picture.
You actually can set it up for text only. I still use a small album cover, but that can be eliminated.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’d the loss of column view is a problem, it might be worth looking at Emby, Plex, Kodi, etc as a media server and interface. They give other ways to interact and organize and play your music. They use the existing local file folder system and don’t disrupt iTunes at all — is a no risk trial.

I’m not saying they’re perfect. But there are options to explore.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Go64 is recommended by knowledgable podcasters. And trying both it and the standard macOS Systems Information, Go64 is faster and easier to understand for someone in a hurry. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just discovered that the Logitech Harmony app in Catalina is only for IR remotes. For hub based ones, you have to use the mobile app. :thumbsdown:

I've found that the mobile app seems to be lacking features. Hopefully they improved it. I don't understand why they would do that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It looks like all my software is finally available in 64 bit. At least everything that will be updated, now that Logitech has (kind of) gotten their act together, and Datacolor finally has the Spyder5 software updated.

With the demise of iTunes, I'm wondering how it will work for me to stream music from my iTunes library to AirPlay devices, and I wonder if anyone knows. Currently I use the Remote app (Apple stupidly has an ATV app that's also called Remote) to control iTunes on my computer, which allows me to select and send music to any AirPlay device. Anyone know how will I do that in Catalina?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
What I want to know is what happened to all the weekly preorder listings for movies that used to be on iTunes? (Oops, look like it showed up again on the TV app.)

Last edited:

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
With the demise of iTunes, I'm wondering how it will work for me to stream music from my iTunes library to AirPlay devices, and I wonder if anyone knows.

For music streaming, you use the Apple Music app. (That's the one that replaced the music part of iTunes.) I don't know details as to what provisions (if any) there might be for using an iOS app to control the Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Streaming to airplay devices shouldn’t change.

For music streaming, you use the Apple Music app. (That's the one that replaced the music part of iTunes.) I don't know details as to what provisions (if any) there might be for using an iOS app to control the Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809
I guess I need to explain more. I'm playing music that I have stored in iTunes (not live streaming) that I have converted to ALAC from CDs. The Remote app lets me remotely control iTunes on an iPad, to choose what I want to play and which AirPlay devices I want to sent it to. Since there's no longer iTunes, I would think the Remote app is no longer used. I have searched (including finding the link posted above) but found nothing that answers my question.

Which is...

I have music stored on my Mac. I want to control it using an iPad, like I have for years, using the Remote app to control iTunes. How do, and can, I do that once I update to Catalina, which no longer has iTunes? Maybe the remote app will now control the Music app on my Mac, instead of iTunes. I'd just like to know, before I update to Catalina.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm hoping that the iPad Music App will just allow me to access the music that's on my Mac, at least when I'm home and on the same network. I see info about syncing purchased and Apple Music stuff, but not non-purchased music. No matter how far I look, I simply do not see an answer to this particular question. I can play stuff with an AppleTV, and select any AirPlay devices I want it sent to, but I want to use the iPad, like I always have.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
FYI: Upgrading to Catalina will force a change to the format of your iTunes Library.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210230

So before upgrading to Catalina, you might want to back up your iTunes Library and put the backup in a safe place. Just in case you want to downgrade to the previous OS.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks