1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Catalina is here!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 7, 2019.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I have a full backup of my iTunes volume, but I'll definitely remember to run a fresh backup before upgrading to Catalina.

Thanks. This seems to indicate that the Remote app is supposed to still work the way it always has, but doesn't.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    I was originally going to hold off upgrading to Catalina but after some research, it seemed the OS is pretty stable. I upgraded and the following day, Apple released a supplemental macOS bug fix update which I also installed.

The only issue I’ve had with iTunes converting over to Music is that it wiped out all my album artwork. The first time I opened Music, it started downloading artwork but only got about half of it. The remainder is either artwork for albums that I originally added custom artwork and now have to re-add said artwork or albums that are no longer available on Music so I have to go find artwork for them now. It’s kind of a pain in the rear but necessary if I want artwork for everything.

I haven’t tried using the remote app on my iPhone since upgrading to iOS 13 & Catalina so I don’t know how well it works now.

3. JohnRice

John
    The Apple web site says to leave the Music app open to give it time to get artwork. If it fails to do that, I’m gonna be pissed. I don’t know how much time I spent adding artwork to all the music I converted.

EricSchulz likes this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Sounds like another solution in search of a problem.

Am I that much of a cranky old man here screaming at the sky, or am I not completely wrong that iTunes was smoother, simpler, better organized and more functional ten years ago than it is today?

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  5. Message #45 of 62 Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    JohnRice

John
    At work we do joke about Apple's tendency to "improve" things, which has generally been referring to iTunes.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  6. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Mine was open about 9 hours and it found all the art that was available from Music.

7. JohnRice

John
    Is that with stuff you converted from CD? Because I have tons of stuff it’ll never, ever find on Apple Music.

8. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

What "genius" thought that it was OK to wipe out the artwork in customers' files?

9. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    Gone is the ability to search for films from different decades and genres.......awful!!!!

10. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Some of it. Some of my music was ripped from cd and that album is available on Music so it added the artwork back to it. Some of my music was once available on Music (iTunes) but is no longer available. In those cases, I am having to scan a copy of the cd cover art or go out and find album artwork online. The fun ones are albums where Apple has replaced the original album with a “deluxe edition” or “25th anniversary extended edition” or something silly like that. For those albums, I have to change the name of the album (sometimes the artist name as well if they decided to replace the word “and” with “&” or vice-versa for artists like Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs) to match how Apple lists it on Music and it will pull the artwork for it.... sometimes. Sometimes it won’t. Some albums match the album name and artist exactly, the album is available on Music, and it still can’t find artwork for it so I have to go out and find artwork online and manually add it. I’ve read it may have something to do with how the original id3 tag is written.
    Basically, it’s a mess from an album artwork standpoint. Everything else works fine.

11. JohnRice

John
    ...crap...

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    So I just ran Go64 and found a bundle of programs that are 32 bit, most I don't use much are at all. But a quick look found two that I don't want to lose.

The first is Photoshop CS6. This is the last version of PS before they began the subscription model which I really don't want to take part in. I use it enough to want to keep it, but not enough to justify a subscription.

The second is Corel Painter version 19. I just bought this very expensive program thru Humble Bumble (I think that's the name). I've had an old version of Painter and it's fun to play with, though I've never come close to really using it to the max.

I've turned off auto updates but I'm being reminded daily about updating to Catalina. I've also got a security update that's waiting to be installed. Can that be installed separately? Can I turn off the daily reminder?

If you've got ideas that will get me by the PS and Painter issues, please let me know.

13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I looked at the Photoshop About info and it says it's 64 bit and I'm going wha? Go64 says it's 32 bit. I look closer at the fine print in Go64 and turns out only the "Adobe Updater Framework" is 32. A google shows it is apparently something developers use, I'm not a developer, so ok there.

Same for Painter, only the "Leopard Bundle" is 32 bit. A google was not as clear, and I don't know what the Leopard Bundle really is. I suspect Painter would still work, but I'm not sure.

There are several other programs to checkout before I consider upgrading.

14. Message #54 of 62 Nov 14, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019 at 7:34 AM
    Thomas Newton

Reports are that CS6 does not work under Catalina. There's an update check component that is 32-bit, and it keeps launches from succeeding. There may be other 32-bit components, but this is the one that breaks things first.

There are hacks for getting Aperture 3.6 and iPhoto (which also consist of 64-bit code with some 32-bit dependencies) running on Catalina. Perhaps a similar one is possible with CS6.

The other thing that someone suggested is to turn OFF all updates in CS6. This hasn't been tested. If you are going to try it, you should change the preference before upgrading to Catalina, and do initial testing on a scratch copy of Catalina (not on your current startup drive). As for dealing with activation DRM on Catalina, you're on your own.

15. Thomas Newton

Another way to get past the CS6 issue might be to run two versions of macOS, either with dual booting, or virtual machine software.

16. Thomas Newton

The name makes it sound like it has to do with Mac OS X 10.5 ("Leopard"). But Painter 2019 requires Mac OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan") or better. I take it that this is or was a compatibility library – for the pre-Catalina days.

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    You could be right.

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Some googling indicates that CS6 will not work in Catalina.

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I don't think it does if memory serves me correctly from what I have read elsewhere

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    You can look into new, low cost, image editing software like Pixelmator and Acorn.