What's new

Catalina is here! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The new operating system dropped about an hour ago.

Must be a lot of people downloading it as I am on a 1GB connection and it's taking me 1.5 hours to obtain the update.

Hope everything is fixed. I was using it during the early stages of the beta and it worked great. Then Apple started making all sorts of adjustments and I found a lot of bugs I couldn't deal with anymore including apps disappearing from the dock.

Not sure why they had to disallow the use of 32-bit apps. I mean, were they hurting anyone?

In any event, here's hoping all goes smoothly...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not sure why they had to disallow the use of 32-bit apps. I mean, were they hurting anyone?
I suspect it has more to do with the unnecessary complexity to the OS that resulted. Maybe there's also a security issue, but that's a guess, because I really can't claim to admit I fully understand what the difference is. In any case, that is the reason I have to wait a while to upgrade to Catalina, since there are a couple apps I want to keep using that still haven't been updated.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not upgrading until at least the 0.1 update. I’m having enough problems with iOS 13.1.2 that I’m not trusting Catalina on release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Been using this for the past 6 hours.

Seems fine. They fixed the bugs that I had issues with.

Seems very smooth and quick.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The killed the iTunes column browser in the new Music app. That is how I use iTunes to manage my music library.

Unless they bring it back, or there is a 3rd party app that can replicate the feature, I will not be “upgrading” from Mojave.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The killed the iTunes column browser in the new Music app. That is how I use iTunes to manage my music library.

Unless they bring it back, or there is a 3rd party app that can replicate the feature, I will not be “upgrading” from Mojave.
Can you elaborate? I have 35,000 tracks in iTunes (mostly imported from my vast vinyl and CD collection) and I'm TERRIFIED to upgrade if I can't manage my music as I have done in the past.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Seems fairly stable so far. The only weirdness I had installing it on my 2015 MBP was that it hung at the "setting up computer" part for well over 2 hours. I actually left and came back from a lunch and errand and it was still doing it. Gulped hard, forced a hard restart, and everything's working well so far.

One thing it did do was lose my album art. I have "selected all" and right clicked "get album art" and it's slowly re-populating it now. I have nearly 20k songs mostly ripped from my CDs and AACGained for level matching.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Can you elaborate? I have 35,000 tracks in iTunes (mostly imported from my vast vinyl and CD collection) and I'm TERRIFIED to upgrade if I can't manage my music as I have done in the past.

This explains it pretty well.

https://kirkville.com/in-praise-of-the-itunes-column-browser/

They have tried to diminish the importance of the column browser in past iTunes updates...you had to dig into the menus to find where to turn it back on. But now, it is completely gone. I have no use for navigating my library via album covers, or having to invoke workarounds via search.

I have my stuff very well organized, and use the genres field, many or which are custom, to drill down to exactly what I am looking for.

I guess in the eyes of Apple, a largely text based means of navigating your library is soooooo 1995, but for what I use iTunes for, it works perfectly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

This is a huge problem for me too. Talk about fixing something that isn't broken. I understand Apple's attitude that everything should be pretty, and lines of text isn't pretty, but when you have a massive library, it's the best solution.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is there a utility that will scan the Mac for apps that won’t work under Catalina?
CleanMyMac, which I think you can use in the free version to do it, but I bought it, so I could be wrong. Under "Uninstaller" choose "32 Bit" and it gives you a list of installed 32 bit apps. Personally, I think the app is worth having anyway.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I figured there would be a way to identify them within the OS.

I still like CleanMyMac. With the 5 Macs I manage, four of them have managed to get malware on them at some point. It makes it easy to remove it. Plus the Uninstaller is handy to completely remove apps. I'm sure a lot of the capabilities it has aren't necessary, but there are ones which are.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just installed Catalina. I weekly buy older and classic films. Now with Catalina there is no search functions for films that were in ITunes. There is NO FILTER for choosing which decade one could search films......1960's 1950's 1970's etc!
"Curated" is now another word for censorship. Apple is forcing me to only see the movies that they recommend????? I now do not have access to all films that were available!!!!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This explains it pretty well.

https://kirkville.com/in-praise-of-the-itunes-column-browser/

They have tried to diminish the importance of the column browser in past iTunes updates...you had to dig into the menus to find where to turn it back on. But now, it is completely gone. I have no use for navigating my library via album covers, or having to invoke workarounds via search.

I have my stuff very well organized, and use the genres field, many or which are custom, to drill down to exactly what I am looking for.

I guess in the eyes of Apple, a largely text based means of navigating your library is soooooo 1995, but for what I use iTunes for, it works perfectly.
On the app it is impossible to browse movies....all random. No way anyone to look for ie Dramas in the 60's........horrible!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks