1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Catalina is here!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 7, 2019.

1. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Or Photoshop Elements for around $100

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    There’s Affinity Photo with a 50% coupon right now bringing the price to $25.

However, I’ve seen nothing that makes me want to upgrade, so I’m not, and CS6 will keep on truckin’ for now.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Apple has finally released a new iOS Remote app that says it’s compatible with the Catalina Music app. Anyone try it out?

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Planning a clean reinstall // upgrade to Catalina this weekend. Bought a 64GB thumbdrive, configured it as installation media, and am doing a clean backup of my imac right now.

I've been wanting to do this for a couple years, but I keep backing out, as it's intimidating and a lot of effort. But I've got a handful of quirks with the imac. And it's fundamentally three computers and 12 years of semi-annual macOS upgrades old. Mac doesn't get "crufty" the way Win98 did. But still...over a decade of in-place upgrades. Hopefully this pain will fix up some of its accumulated behavioral quirks.

Wish me luck! :D

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Good Luck Dave!

I have been having no issues with Catalina. Just know that if you have any 32-bit apps they will cease working.

6. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I have a question about Mail under Catalina.

I've noticed that when I mouse over new mail, the listing shifts to the right and a new icon appears to the left of the line (not allowing me to select the line. What is this, and can I disable it?

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Have you run the free version of malwarebytes to scan for malware? I highly recommend it.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I haven't run a virus scanner in a while. But the issues I'm having are macOS issues, not malware. Things like an application not have correction file associations (or rather, they don't stick and new files don't get the right file icon); Safari beach balling sometimes when I open a new empty tab; Calendar not updating with new iCloud entries unless I quit and relaunch it; etc.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Thoughts on a clean reinstall:
    1. iCloud makes it much easier. So much stuff syncs up, downloads, and fixes itself
    2. App Store is helpful but also a problem. Apps come and go. Apps kicked kicked out, and I have to stumble onto an App Store download being outdated and need to go find the newer version direct from the developer
    3. Microsoft Office 2016 original installer fails as a 32 bit app! So I copied the updated apps from my backup into Applications and that works.
    4. How is that Windows is still better at installing and uninstalling programs that Apple? Why is there still no simple, consistent way to uninstall a Mac app?
    5. I've spent the morning mostly struggling with iTunes. I've been doing it the wrong way. The right way is to Import Library (then change the library location locally, and then chose the Organize menu command to force it to copy and relocate all the files). This preserves ratings and play counts, etc. Album Art remains a problem regardless of how I do it. The album art is in the original library, but viewed from Catalina, a bunch is missing. So I have to go get it manually...
    6. How is it 2019 and Apple is still this terrible at finding album art? Like, major artists can't be found. So, I'm off doing a hundred albums by hand, copying art from Amazon.
    7. The new Podcast app does support user-added podcasts. That's a bummer. I've been creating "podcast" files from movie commentary tracks to listen on the go. I was adding them to iTunes for easy archival. But the new podcast app doesn't have any means to add local files. Copied them to a standalone folder.
    8. Books app seems to be importing audiobooks just fine from the old iTunes folder
    9. Had some confusion with iMovie. Finally uninstalled iMovie. Copied anew my iMove Library and iMovie Theater. Installed iMovie and it found the iMove Library as expected. And I found that iMovie Theater is deprecated. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that yet. To be safe, I went into its package and copied out all the archived them into a personal movie folder. if iMovie Library is now dead, I can delete that package safely.
    10. I can't figure out how to import videos from iMovie Theater into iPhotos. There is an import feature but it fails without error or explanation. Oh, Apple! Making even failure seem simple! It might be I need to transcode to the right format to import. Will have to search online for info.
    11. Download photos from the cloud seems to be working...but it's been at "Downloading 119 Originals" all morning. Not sure what's going on there. But the photo count seems right. It might be I've got all the thumbnails but some originals are lost in the cloud.

Bear in mind that I didn't do the simple upgrade-in-place of Catalina nor am I using Migration Assistant for a reinstall. I'm doing it the hard way to blow away a decade of whatever digital detritus accumulates from upgrading, installing, deleting, etc. programs and data from a Mac.

EricSchulz likes this.
  10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    OK, everything's setup now. Give it a week to see that it's stable and then I'll reconnect the backup drives and start Time Machine and SuperDuper! again.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Ok, I have to give a little shout to the developers of these nifty little utilities for the Mac. I use Witch daily.

But particularly, because I was having a weird installation problem (after wiping my drive and reinstalling the OS). They were prompt in tech support. And after I bought a new license thinking my problem was a weird upgrade license affair with the new macOS, they gave me refund without being asked. I mean, $14. I didn't care. But they gave me my money back unprompted. So, I'll give them a little promotion. :)

https://manytricks.com

ManW_TheUncool likes this.