What's new

Cast Away question (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Was watching this again and had a small question.

Some spoilers below.

The package that he recovers on the island and does not open has a unique wing-shape image on it. He uses this image on the sail he creates as well. When he returns to civilization, he returns the package to the sender and notices that she has a sculpture in her backyard of that and also on the bumper of her truck.

Perhaps I missed this, but I initially thought the wing-shape design was a FedEx decorative design. But now I'm thinking that she hand-painted it on the FedEx package that she sent.

So, my question is - whose image is it? FedEx's or the girl's?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
It was the girl who painted that. That was the only FedEx package with the wings on it. Something like her personalized mailings of her art, I'm pretty sure.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. As many times as I've seen it, I had just resigned to thinking she loved the FedEx image and used it in her art. Silly, I know. :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Pedantic nitpick ahead!
Cast Away is the movie with Tom Hanks.
Castaway is the 1987 film by Nicolas Roeg, starring Oliver Reed and Amanda Donahoe, based on the book by Lucy Irvine about her year spent on a desert island with a man she met via a personal ad.
End pedantic nitpick! :D

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The Fed Ex guy at the beginning picks up one of her packages (probably divorce papers for her husband in Russia) and he remarks about the art on the package.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Specifically he mentions the color, Pink I believe, and she says that she was in a pink mood. he then takes it and the camera is attached to the box and the wings are in frame the whole time.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I doubt they were divorce papers. The driver refers to her as, "Mrs. Peterson" and the ranch gate says, "Dick / Bettina" on it. Whatever

The driver refers to the box as, "it", and Bettina refers to it as, "she". If they were papers of some sort she would refer to it as, "they". Bettina also says, "She's snow bound Ramon," with a bit of mystery. I also don't think she'd use such a large box for divorce papers.

When Dick receives the package the other woman asks him what's in the box and he merely replies, "It's from my wife." Again, if they were divorce papers I'm sure he'd tell her. No doubt she'd be delighted with that news.

There is an easter egg to find out what was in Tom Hanks' box from the island. On the second disc, go to Video Stills and Galleries. Choose 'Raft Escape' then push the left arrow button and you'll see the wings from the FedEx boxes. Press it.

And if you're too impatient to find out, Robert Zemeckis says it's .... a solar-powered, water-proof, satellite cell phone!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Yes, but at the end of the movie when Hanks shows up to deliver the package only Bettina is on the sign. And if they were divorce papers (needing to be signed) she wouldn't be divorced yet and still be Mrs. Patterson.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Cast Away vs Castaway. Changes the meaning of the title if you remove the space. Look up how Cast Away defines and reads vs the single word Castaway.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Yes, but at the end of the movie when Hanks shows up to deliver the package only Bettina is on the sign. And if they were divorce papers (needing to be signed) she wouldn't be divorced yet and still be Mrs. Patterson.
I'm not really debating what's in the package, but if the divorce papers didn't arrive in four years, don't you think she would have gotten new ones?

--Anders

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks