What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cruella -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those into Blu-ray packaging ephemera may want to obtain a copy of Cruella, as it's been created not only with a rather striking slip cover, but has the actual plastic case in a nearly matching, albeit non-metallic sort of watermelon shade.

Different from the case originally used on Mean Girls, but in the same vein, unique, and potentially a future collectible.

As a film, Cruella is an odd beast, with Emma Stone portraying the young Ms de Vil (devil, get it?) in what seems to be a production of a film that answers a question that no one asked.

Where is the delightful Cruella come from? What made her who she is?

We've feasted upon the back-stories of virtually all the Marvel and Star Wars characters, so why not?

In a similar context, I've never wondered about Bambi's mother's fawnhood.

The concept goes back to the children's book The Hundred and One Dalmatians (1956), followed up in 1967 with The Starlight Barking: More About the Hundred and One Dalmatians.

In 1961 Walt Disney - the man, not the company - brought her work to the screen in animated form.

In 1996 Disney - the company, not the man, had Glenn Close create her live-action portrayal of Ms DeVil, following up her own act four years hence with one more dalmatian in the mix.

In 2002, 101 Dalmatians II arrived.

All leading up the what will probably not be the final time we see these characters on screen.

Make no mistake. Cruella is a huge, well-produced film, that in the childhood scenes features the talented Tipper Seifert-Cleveland, as the youth with dalmatian-like white and black hair.

Early on, in her sequences, my mind kept going back a century or so, and thinking about Dickensian street urchins.

The other thing that kept going through my mind was that I was actually viewing a live-action variant of so many other Disney films. I was seeing the characters played by Joel Fry and Paul Walter Hauser definitely in the form of cute mice - one rather svelte, the other on the more corpulent side. But animated mice, regardless.

In the end, what we have is two plus hours of back-story that seems more an excuse for a production that anything truly new.

Thirty years of so ago, when David Lean received his AFI award, he begged the industry to be creative, and to stop coming out of those same old holes.

I can't wait for Cruella on Broadway, followed appropriately by Cruella on Ice, and then the ubiquitous Cruella ride at Disney.

Cruella isn't a bad film. And it's actually a rather glorious 4k UHD presentation, especially with Dolby Atmos, but I'd have love to see Disney put the production funds into something entirely new and creative.

Okay. Maybe a film about Bambi's mother wouldn't be such a bad idea...

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

RAH

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Those into Blu-ray packaging ephemera may want to obtain a copy of Cruella, as it's been created not only with a rather striking slip cover, but has the actual plastic case in a nearly matching, albeit non-metallic sort of watermelon shade.

Different from the case originally used on Mean Girls, but in the same vein, unique, and potentially a future collectible.

As a film, Cruella is an odd beast, with Emma Stone portraying the young Ms de Vil (devil, get it?) in what seems to be a production of a film that answers a question that no one asked.

Where is the delightful Cruella come from? What made her who she is?

We've feasted upon the back-stories of virtually all the Marvel and Star Wars characters, so why not?

In a similar context, I've never wondered about Bambi's mother's fawnhood.

The concept goes back to the children's book The Hundred and One Dalmatians (1956), followed up in 1967 with The Starlight Barking: More About the Hundred and One Dalmatians.

In 1961 Walt Disney - the man, not the company - brought her work to the screen in animated form.

In 1996 Disney - the company, not the man, had Glenn Close create her live-action portrayal of Ms DeVil, following up her own act four years hence with one more dalmatian in the mix.

In 2002, 101 Dalmatians II arrived.

All leading up the what will probably not be the final time we see these characters on screen.

Make no mistake. Cruella is a huge, well-produced film, that in the childhood scenes features the talented Tipper Seifert-Cleveland, as the youth with dalmatian-like white and black hair.

Early on, in her sequences, my mind kept going back a century or so, and thinking about Dickensian street urchins.

The other thing that kept going through my mind was that I was actually viewing a live-action variant of so many other Disney films. I was seeing the characters played by Joel Fry and Paul Walter Hauser definitely in the form of cute mice - one rather svelte, the other on the more corpulent side. But animated mice, regardless.

In the end, what we have is two plus hours of back-story that seems more an excuse for a production that anything truly new.

Thirty years of so ago, when David Lean received his AFI award, he begged the industry to be creative, and to stop coming out of those same old holes.

I can't wait for Cruella on Broadway, followed appropriately by Cruella on Ice, and then the ubiquitous Cruella ride at Disney.

Cruella isn't a bad film. And it's actually a rather glorious 4k UHD presentation, especially with Dolby Atmos, but I'd have love to see Disney put the production funds into something entirely new and creative.

Okay. Maybe a film about Bambi's mother wouldn't be such a bad idea...

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

RAH
How about The Courtship of Bambi's Father?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
How about The Courtship of Bambi's Father?
I would prefer a re-make of Bambi Meets Godzilla - but that probably is with WarnerBros ... ;)
Godzilla vs. the Mouse? The Mouse will win this time around.
It could be a co-production leading up to the DC-Marvel big super-duper blockbuster: Zack Snyder's Justice League vs Bryan Singer's Michael Bay's Avengers/X-Men* :rolleyes:
*This film has not been rated

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
We really liked this movie. We went in with low expectations the day it became available on Disney+. Afterwards, I immediately ordered the 4k disc. I myself grew up loving the original "101 Dalmatians", and it still one of my favorite animated movies. As for "Cruella", I thought it was well written, and am not so sure it was meant to be an origin story. I will say this - it sure was better most of the other Disney "live action remakes". Emma Stone and Emma Thompson nailed their roles. The special effects, picture, and sound were so good streaming, we look forward to watching this again on disc. Oh, and not to spoil anything, but the dogs that were not dalmatians were really good!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I can't wait for Cruella on Broadway

Not "Cruella", but in 2009 there was a musical of 101 Dalmatians that toured around the country. Rachel York portrayed Cruella and actors were on stilts. ? What could go wrong there? (It was supposed to come to the Pantages in L.A., but I guess the tour wasn't going well and it was dropped.)

220px-The_101_Dalmatians_Musical_Poster.jpg

It makes me laugh that it was funded by Purina Dog Chow.

There is another (different) 101 Dalmatians musical in the works to premiere in London next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks