What's new

Casablanca 70th Anniversary Limited Edition Box Set (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thank you. I've been wondering about the incredible divergence of opinion on this. We're talking about the earlier big box set with the passport holder, right? I have it, and I guess I'd better sit down and actually take a look at it since I haven't ever done so.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
Another edition of Casablanca, while "The Wind" "Greed" "The Big Parade" "The Crowd" are unavailable on DVD or Blu-ray, and "The Magnificent Ambersons" can only be had as a bonus feature. If it weren't for Warner's Ultra Resolution process for restoring technicolor pics, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Watching my HD-DVD of Casablanca again tonight, which I always thought looked great, I'm thinking maybe it does look a little video-like compared to the best recent HD transfers. And since playback stopped at 45:00 with a disc error code (this has been happening with my HD-DVDs, lately) it looks like I'll be buying the new blu-ray.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Scott Calvert said:
I'm not sure which disc you guys are watching but the current BD of Casablanca doesn't look like any 35mm film I have ever seen. It looks like video, pretty much exactly like Warner's previous master of Citizen Kane. Are we now OK with mastering vintage films with significant image manipulation (noise reduction and sharpening techniques) in the digital realm? Because I thought from the controversy surrounding Citizen Kane we weren't.
I have the box with the luggage tags and the lobby cards. I don't see any noise reduction or sharpening. Though there is dirt and dust removal, there is still some visible if you look closely, and the grain layer is quite apparent and looks perfectly natural to me for a black and white film stock with a strong silver content. I wouldn't compare it to Citizen Kane where everything looked scrubbed and there was no film grain visible. Not even close. Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

I'm not sure which disc you guys are watching but the current BD of Casablanca doesn't look like any 35mm film I have ever seen. It looks like video, pretty much exactly like Warner's previous master of Citizen Kane. Are we now OK with mastering vintage films with significant image manipulation (noise reduction and sharpening techniques) in the digital realm? Because I thought from the controversy surrounding Citizen Kane we weren't.

Actually, that's a question I want to ask you after comparing Casablanca to Citizen Kane.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I have the box with the luggage tags and the lobby cards. I don't see any noise reduction or sharpening. Though there is dirt and dust removal, there is still some visible if you look closely, and the grain layer is quite apparent and looks perfectly natural to me for a black and white film stock with a strong silver content.
I wouldn't compare it to Citizen Kane where everything looked scrubbed and there was no film grain visible. Not even close.
Doug

Neither would I.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Casablanca is a bit of a problem title, as the original elements were over-printed, with replacement sections the norm.

The most recent Blu-ray does a very nice job of evening out the problems.

IMHO, what we do not need is another Blu of Casablanca, especially when there are superb films with Mr. Bogart that need to be released on Blu.

How about:

To Have and Have Not

Key Largo

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Casablanca is a bit of a problem title, as the original elements were over-printed, with replacement sections the norm.

The most recent Blu-ray does a very nice job of evening out the problems.

IMHO, what we do not need is another Blu of Casablanca, especially when there are superb films with Mr. Bogart that need to be released on Blu.

How about:

To Have and Have Not

Key Largo

RAH

There you go as well as The Big Sleep.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Douglas Monce said:
I have the box with the luggage tags and the lobby cards. I don't see any noise reduction or sharpening. Though there is dirt and dust removal, there is still some visible if you look closely, and the grain layer is quite apparent and looks perfectly natural to me for a black and white film stock with a strong silver content. I wouldn't compare it to Citizen Kane where everything looked scrubbed and there was no film grain visible. Not even close. Doug
Are you talking about the 70th Anniversary release? Here's a quote from the HTF review:
Video Quality: 5/5 Accurately framed at 1.33:1 and presented in 1080p with the AVC codec, the film image is impressively clean and devoid of physical defects. Black levels and contrast are consistently strong, and lovers of black-and-white imagery should thrill to the beautiful rendering of Gregg Toland's cinematography. Detail is similarly impressive - particles of snow and textures in fabrics and skin in particular - though the frequent deep focus cinematography also becomes a showcase for the transfer's high resolution (there's softness or haziness in some shots, but due to the era's special effects methods, not the transfer). In certain high contrast scenes, like in the newsreel screening room, there appears to be some ringing along silhouettes, but otherwise there are no indications of digital sharpening. Likewise, with consistent and healthy levels of film grain, viewers should have no concerns about excessive noise reduction measures.
I skimmed the thread and didn't find any complaints about the video quality, but I might have missed them. Since it's only available in big box 'o stuff, I don't have it yet.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

There you go as well as The Big Sleep.

Thank you!

I was thinking it, but the thought didn't make its way to my fingers.

"Then she tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up."

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The set includes 3 previously released documentaries. You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros Story Jack Warner: The Last Mogul The Brothers Warner I assume they will be SD as that would alot to put on one disk in blu.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Harris said:
Casablanca is a bit of a problem title, as the original elements were over-printed, with replacement sections the norm. The most recent Blu-ray does a very nice job of evening out the problems. IMHO, what we do not need is another Blu of Casablanca, especially when there are superb films with Mr. Bogart that need to be released on Blu. How about: To Have and Have Not Key Largo RAH
The Big Sleep A personal favorite of mine. Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Johnny Angell said:
Are you talking about the 70th Anniversary release? Here's a quote from the HTF review:
Video Quality: 5/5 Accurately framed at 1.33:1 and presented in 1080p with the AVC codec, the film image is impressively clean and devoid of physical defects. Black levels and contrast are consistently strong, and lovers of black-and-white imagery should thrill to the beautiful rendering of Gregg Toland's cinematography. Detail is similarly impressive - particles of snow and textures in fabrics and skin in particular - though the frequent deep focus cinematography also becomes a showcase for the transfer's high resolution (there's softness or haziness in some shots, but due to the era's special effects methods, not the transfer). In certain high contrast scenes, like in the newsreel screening room, there appears to be some ringing along silhouettes, but otherwise there are no indications of digital sharpening. Likewise, with consistent and healthy levels of film grain, viewers should have no concerns about excessive noise reduction measures.
I skimmed the thread and didn't find any complaints about the video quality, but I might have missed them. Since it's only available in big box 'o stuff, I don't have it yet.
Actually I was talking about Casablanca. The quote you posted refers to Greg Toland who shot Citizen Kane, so we are talking about different movies. As far as Kane goes I was referring to the overly scrubbed version that eliminated the rain. The more recent version is surely better, but the big problem with Kane is that original camera negative is gone, and my understanding is that the original elements that exist are problematic. Doug Edit: Oh I see you were referring to the quality of the most recent HD Citizen Kane release.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Harris said:
Thank you!  I was thinking it, but the thought didn't make its way to my fingers. "Then she tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up."
Vivian: You go too far, Marlowe. Marlowe: Those are harsh words to throw at a man, especially when he's walking out of your bedroom. Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Over the years, The Big Sleep has become my favorite Bogart film. I just love the film dialogue even though the main plot doesn't make sense. It's not the best Bogart film ever made as that honor goes to either The Treasure of Sierra Madre or Casablanca, but it is my favorite to watch every year.

Crawdaddy

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
I'm really looking forward to a Blu-ray of The Big Sleep. I hope they use seamless branching to include both the long and short versions of the film. I only have the Australian DVD, which is one of Warner's poorer DVD efforts.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Crawford said:
Over the years, The Big Sleep has become my favorite Bogart film.  I just love the film dialogue even though the main plot doesn't make sense.  It's not the best Bogart film ever made as that honor goes to either The Treasure of Sierra Madre or Casablanca, but it is my favorite to watch every year. Crawdaddy
I would disagree. I find The Big Sleep to be far more entertaining than either of those, which I find drag a bit in the middle. For my money, The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon are the two best Bogart films. Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
ShowsOn said:
I'm really looking forward to a Blu-ray of The Big Sleep. I hope they use seamless branching to include both the long and short versions of the film. I only have the Australian DVD, which is one of Warner's poorer DVD efforts.
Yes I would also like to have both versions of the film. That way I can create a high def version of "Doug's Cut" of The Big Sleep! :D Doug

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Robert Harris said:
How about To Have and Have Not Key Largo RAH
From your keyboard to Warner's ears. Those two, along with Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep, are my favorite Bogart films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I would disagree. I find The Big Sleep to be far more entertaining than either of those, which I find drag a bit in the middle. For my money, The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon are the two best Bogart films.
Doug

I'm shocked you would have a different opinion than I. Seriously, the gap I have between the three films isn't much, but I find the message of the other two films much stronger than The Big Sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks