What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For their first color film, screen comics Bud Abbott and Lou Costello decided to go the fantasy route with Jean Yarbrough’s Jack and the Beanstalk, a film designed more for the team’s hordes of youthful fans rather than their elders.

Jack and the Beanstalk (1952)

Released: 12 Apr 1952
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 70 min

Director: Jean Yarbrough
Genre: Comedy, Family, Fantasy

Cast: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Buddy Baer
Writer(s): Nathaniel Curtis, Pat Costello

Plot: Abbott & Costello's version of the famous fairy tale, about a young boy who trades the family cow for magic beans.

IMDB rating: 5.8
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: ClassicFlix
Video Resolution:...

Continue reading...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Bob, after the initial release of this sells out (as you predict it will), will Classicflix continue to offer it in some configuration? In other words, will it go out of print?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not sure why that's even a question considering the reviews of the prior VCI disc noted it was full of dirt and damage, affecting both video and sound, and this review rates both video and audio a 5 of 5.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
AAA COSTELLO 1.jpg
AAACOSTELLO 2.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I watched my Beanstalk disc over last weekend and it looked amazing on my projector. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

There was one brief moment (2 sec or less) near the beginning where the video froze but the sound continued, then the video continued. Not sure if this is a glitch in my disc, or if there was some video damage that had to be removed so we have a second or two of freeze frame? Nothing major, IMO. It was just as the storm comes up and Jack and Henry discover that the Prince has been kidnapped from the woods.

I don't consider myself the biggest fan of A&C in general, but I did laugh out loud quite often. :laugh:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That freeze has been there from day one. They decided after filming the scene that they needed an overdub of the lightning clap and sound effect so froze the image for multiple frames.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That freeze has been there from day one. They decided after filming the scene that they needed an overdub of the lightning clap and sound effect so froze the image for multiple frames.
I figured there was a logical explanation, but hadn't read anything about it anywhere and this was the first time I'd ever seen the film. ;)

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
my number 1 is 'Wonderful World Of Brothers Grimm' the smilebox disc is the 1 I watch.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks