What's new

Career advice (1 Viewer)

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 25. I've been doing tech work since high school. I'm current doing internal web site development - I admit I'm bored as hell. There is no challenge to it, no fulfillment. I've pretty much lost any interest in technology. I've thought about changing jobs but I only have experience in technology, if anything I want to get OUT of it. I've thought about going into management - I do have a BS in technical management. Management doesn't really peak my interest either, although certainly better than tech work.

I love being challenged; give me a problem and I'll solve it. I have excellent problem solving skills and very resourceful. I also get bored easily and tend to be lazy. I hate tedious work. Its more fun thinking of ways of how not to work or making work efficient. Personality wise I'm more introverted.

I've thought about starting my own business, setting my own hours and potential money peaks my interest; although the amount of work and stress involved doesn't.

I have no idea what to do. I could stay my course and make decent money. I'm looking for something to challenge me and not sure what that is.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Take the GMAT and LSAT. If you do well on either or both, it could mean a good chance of going to business or law school. Not the worst option with a technical background. If you don't do well at either of them, just cross that option off and do something else.

I'm sure you'd find either challenging, depending upon where you go. Law school, of course, is a different animal, but you did say you wanted a challenge. :laugh:

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
At 25 there's really no pressing need to find your lifes work...IMO. You've got time on your side. Try something REALLY mundane and boring and it may bring the life back into tech work for you. Working in an area where you deal with the general public for a time would also help if you intend to try the self (un)employed route at some time.

Relax and enjoy your youth while it's fresh.

Mort (who's old enough to understand the phrase that youth is wasted on the young)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Look for an area where your technical background is an added advantage. That is, an area where maybe people typically don't have a technical background, but it would be an asset and differentiate you from the group. An example would be in a procurement group as a buyer for electronic components or equipment.

So look for something you think would be challenging and fun that leverages your technical expertise and education.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
If you like being challenged, problem solving and making work more efficient, plus you already have the degree, why not try management? Managing people most certainly involves all these things, and more.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My suggestion:

Work for an agency that deals with multiple clients vs. a single company.

In an agency, once a project is complete you work on a new one with a new client. This is what I do now and it keeps things interesting. I have to admit though, sometimes I have to work on-site with the client... and it can get cumbersome. Like right now I'm with some obscure government branch, redoing their site and the work is boring as hell. I miss hq like crazy, so I can understand what you're going through.

if you're in the DC area I can refer you to some good ones.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
This is probably a useless suggestion, but if you were in the UK, I'd say you were an ideal candidate for direct entry into a managerial position in the British Civil Service (basically, the government administrators). You could go into a branch where you could use your skills directly, or apply for a purely administrative post. Do you have a similar scheme in the USA?

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I think this is a very good suggestion. By being a contractor, you get to experience different companies, usually without being embroiled in the company politics. You also usually get the highs of working on solving problems or making things efficient, while avoiding the pitfalls of being a salaried employee - doing one thing over and over, or being tied to one project. And if you sign with the right contract firm, you can work with companies from other cities, states, even countries!

Being young, you probably don't have the social ties - family/friends that older techies have.

And, if you find that tech work just completely turns you off, hopefully by then you'll have a better sense of what career path to follow.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Have you thought about working for a communcations business. (i.e. Comcast, Time Warner. etc) you can search job openings from comcast.com in your area. There are tons of positions that require troubleshooting a network/design, most of which you need some experience for, but you can aways transfer into other depts.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I think the big variable is just HOW introverted you are. If you try to start your own venture you will need to learn how to do sales. How to sell yourself more so than your product. Not the realm of the shy or modest.
You will also learn quite often that what is right for customers is not always what is best for customers. You could offer them a ticket to heaven, but if they are too thick or stubborn to buy it or use it then you've not done them any favors. Often times you have to settle for offering them not what is best but the best thing which they are most likely to actually utilize - a frustrating distinction...

anyway - I digress.... As an entrepreneur you will need to be aware that you are in charge of sales, bookeeping and management. (meaning if you are good you will be working for the most demanding prick you know)

If you don't think that you're ready for that then consider taking baby steps. Move into sales or management. Both of them also require some sort of extroversion.. (is that a word?) You may want to consider even taking a Dale Carnegie course. It may souynd cheezy but if you are introverted you will be AMAZED how helpful it will be. I also encourage you to join toastmasters.

Until you are more comfortable with personal ineraction you will be stuck in boring tasks. If you can break out you'll be amazed how much fun problem solving can be in management and sales:

Management problem - Two people are out sick and two are working. You have three projects due. One is 1/3 done and is top priority. One is nearly complete and is slightly lower priority. The other is half done and of little concenquence but your immediate supervisor has asked you to make it a priority. You only have time to complete two - which do you do?

Sales problem - Mrs. Jones can only afford to spend $2800 on her home theater. She has no existing equipment. Her grandchildren are coming to visit in three weeks and she would like to surprize them with a weekend viewing of their favorite trilogy - Back to the Future. The bigger the screen and sound the better. The theater will be in her livingroom and she has complete control over lighting. Her technical know-how is VERY limited. After she meets with you she is going to Circut City to ask their opinion. Her neighbor says she should get BOSE surround and a used 4/3 big screen he can sell her for $300. What do you recommend?

THAT is problem solving!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not to insult Mort, but whatever you do, don't deal with the general public, most people are scum, you will regret it and the company will not appreciate you.

You just need to find a better company to work for. A company with people of your caliber, education, experience, etc. You'll be much happier.

I left a situation similar to yours several years ago, but could not get into any other industry. Actually had an HR person tell me that they'd never hire me because of my technical background, they figured I'd leave when something better came along.

Just to get some kind of income, did some CSR and retail work, both of which were jobs from hell. Finally gave up and went back to tech work, but was able to find a wonderful company that appreciates my skills, challenges me every day, and I work with talented, intelligent people.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Come get my job, Ron! The FAA is going through some turmoil, but it is likely going to be fixed this year. We are all getting to retirement age, and the country needs air traffic controllers. You are the right age.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I hear that air traffic controllers are one of the best paying jobs you can get for a very low amount of schooling.

EDIT: I re-read what I had written and rephrased what I had said because I realized that some may take what I said out of context, I wasn't trying to knock on Air Traffic Controllers as uneducated.

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all for the suggestions. I might consider sales or management, at least it would be a change. As far as introversion, I'm not shy, its more like I prefer to work / be myself for a lot of the time. Idle chit chat bores me, especially in group settings. I get antsy easily, I need to be stimulated lol. I'm trying to think what would interest me. I think I'll need to try a few things and see what I enjoy. Fortunately I have a well paying job already, so its not a huge risk, I can always go back to what I'm doing now and make $60k+/year. Or maybe I'll win the lottery :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Go to school and get a pharmacy degree. After you graduate you will be wanted in all sorts of places with pay nearing $100k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks