What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: San Francisco (1936) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1610405251021.png

NEW 2021 1080p HD master from nitrate preservation elements!

SAN FRANCISCO (1936)
Run Time 115:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Alternate Ending Sequence; "Clark Gable: Tall, Dark and Handsome" featurette with Liam Neeson; two vintage FitzPatrick Traveltalks: 'Cavalcade of San Francisoco' & 'Night Descends on Treasure Island'; Classic Cartoon 'Bottles"; Theatrical re-issue trailer (HD)

Romantic drama combines with humor, starpower combines with lavish spectacle and the walls come tumbling down! This Academy Award-winning extravaganza’s street-splitting, brick-cascading, fire-raging recreation of the cataclysmic earthquake remains "one of the greatest action sequences in the history of the cinema, rivalling the chariot race in both Ben-Hurs" (Adrian Turner, Time Out Film Guide).
Clark Gable plays rakish Barbary Coast kingpin Blackie Norton. Jeanette MacDonald portrays a singer torn by her love for Blackie and her need to succeed among the operagoing elite. Earning the first of nine career Best Actor Oscar® nominations,* Spencer Tracy is a priest who supplements spiritual advice with a mean right hook. He urges Blackie to change. But if love and religion can't reform Blackie, Mother Nature will.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Needless to say, this is top drawer news.

With San Francisco, we now have Spencer Tracey’s first nomination for Best Actor on BD.

And, with San Francisco, we also have 6 of the 9 Spencer Tracey nominations for Best Actor on BD.

Now, all that remains for BDs are The Old Man and the Sea (1959) and, surprisingly, Mr. Tracey’s back-to-back Oscar wins of Captains Courageous (1937) and Boys Town (1938).

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Good! The DVD looked, well ..... let's just say mediocre. This should remedy that.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's been a long time since I last saw this. So, remind me: this is the one with the big earthquake sequence? If yes, I'll buy the disc!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Waiting for the preorder.

I always felt that TCM screwed up by not showing this on April 18th, 2006. They could have started it around 3:30-4:00am PST to time it right.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
This is truly incredible news specially because this one already has a HD master and WAC usually do not select titles that are have HD masters. San Francisco and Baby Doll are exceptions to these rule.
So I can start dreaming about having The Great Ziegfeld, A Woman’s Face, Boom Town, the relevant titles from Garbo, Flynn, Bogart, Davis...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Being a native of the San Francisco Bay Area, I thought I was aware of most of the films based on San Francisco and is set there. But I’ve never heard of this one! Now I’m curious about seeing this title.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
There never was anyone like Clark Gable. We need more Gable on Blu. Here's to hoping Idiot's Delight, Wife Vs. Secretary, Boom Town, Honky Tonk, Test Pilot, Red Dust and China Seas are NOT far behind this one. A guy's guy in one of his greatest movies of all time. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks