What's new

cards for HDTV (1 Viewer)

Can someone give the lowdown on the new TVs that have built-in cards for high definition broadcasts ?

I presume that I would have to get a card from the Satellite Dish company. Does it save me any money over having to get their hardware, as well. Are their different types of cards ? ie.. cards that receive basic Satellite as well as cards that are both basic AND HD ?

Any other info I might need to consider would be appreciated.

Thank you

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There has been only ONE television on the market that had a built in HD satellite receiver. You just subscribed to DirecTV and connect the TV directly to the dish. It was a very poor seller.

There are numerous TV's now that have CableCard slots. You just get a cablecard from your local cable provider and install it. (Not exactly, you have to pay someone to come out and pop it in the TV for you.)

-Robert

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
To elaborate on what Robert said, those are CableCards and are only necessary when you want to receive paid/scrambled cable channels (i.e. HBO, Showtime, etc.). Most QAM cable tuners built in to HD sets are capable of tuning all non-pay/non-scrambled channels. This varies per provider, but it is a pretty fast rule in general. None of them allow you to tune satellite, which requires a box or a sat tuner built in (and as Robert said, is not common).

That sure seems misleading, doesn't it. The people buying these TV's think their paying for the ability to receive HD transmissions without incurring additional costs.
( they should know better, eh )

Thank you for the response..

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks