What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Can't figure out how to get my SACD in multi-channel? (1 Viewer)

Jay G

Auditioning
I purchased a sony dvp-755 and have it hooked up to a sony str-935.I've had them both for some time now, but just recently decided to try out sacd.The first one I purchased was Bostons' greatest hits, which I later found out was only in stereo.A couple days ago, I bought Norah Jones multi channel hybrid.I have the 6 analog outputs hooked into the 5.1 input on the receiver.I select the 5.1 and it plays in stereo.On the dvd/sacd player, the sacd and multi-channel LEDs light up.On the menu I can choose multi or 2 channel, so multi is choosen.I've been reading about different layers on the disc,maybe the player isn't reading the right one?I have no idea what to do next.It's like I have no signal coming out of the other outputs.It was an open box item but I think I bought the warrenty, so I am considering taking it back if it hasn't been to long.I also don't have the manual for it.I'll never buy open box again.Any ideas what I can do next?I was so looking forward to listening in multi-channel for the first time.Stereo sounded really impressive though.

Thanks for any help
Jay

728x90

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

My components are Onkyo, so I can't offer specific advise about your setup. I had a similar problem though: I bought the CCR disk "Willy And The Poorboys." The label says it is hybrid multichannel. It only plays in stereo, however, and the subwoofer doesn't work with it either.

I thought there was a problem with my DVD player, so I tried Pink Floyd's hybrid multichannel disk "Dark Side of the Moon." It worked flawlessly in 5.1 channel surround.

My only suggestion, at this point, is buy another multichannel disk and see if it works properly. At least that way you will know whether your DVD player is malfunctioning. I'd be surprised if your Sony player is the culprit.

I'm new to SACD also. If I find a solution to this problem, I'll post it here.

Dave

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I had the same problem -- you have to look deep within the setup of your DVD player (or SACD player) -- one of your choices will be whether to play such media in 2 channels or 5 channels.

Once you select 5 channels, your multi-channel SACDs should default to multi-channel sound.

Jay_J

Agent
Real Name
JJ
Jay, Dave,

New member here. I got into SACD about a year ago, first with a Sony XE-670 (a great little machine, single disc brother to the 775), then graduating to a Sony SCD-C555ES.
I had the same problem when I first set up the player. You have to set it up to default to multi-channel playback.

Dave, the Willie and the Poorboys disc you mention is stereo only, as are all the other Steve Hoffman mastered CCR SACD's. The packaging itself is incorrect.

Hope this helps,

JJ

BTW, I just picked up a Pioneer DV-563A combo DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD player. I wanted to get into DVD-A with all the great titles being released. So far, the machine is operating superbly, in all formats. This may just be the best buy of the year in super affordable hardware!

Jay G

Auditioning
I will try another disc today to rule out the other one.I don't know how to go any deeper in the menu to find anymore options.I've spent time in there,the only thing I found was the the selection for 2 channel, and mutli;and multi was selected.I'll go mess around with it again,then go pick up another disc.The selection on sacd's is really not great.I was thrilled one time to find an Alice in Chains one at Best Buy,only to get it home with no disc inside.They had no others but did get my money back.
Thanks so far.
Jay

Jay G

Auditioning
Well it works after all.First I went out and picked up 3 Doors down in multi-channel, and some new acoustic research cables.I hooked up the new cables and tried the new disc with no luck.Still no surround!
Getting ready to take it back I figured I would try the menu one more time.Deep in the setup area I found a place to set up your speaker sizes and distances.I went ahead and set them up for fun, and what do you know, it all started working.:D .The fronts were set to large from sony I guess, and the rest were set to NONE! All speakers work on DVD mode so didn't figure that would matter.Why is that??
Anyways I can't crank it up until this evening because my wife is a night shifter and sleeping.I'll let ya know what I think later, but I already know I'm in for a treat.
Thanks for helping and reasssuring it was probably a setup problem.
Jay

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Jay G,

That's great! Multichannel sound kicks butt.

Stay away from that Alice In Chains SACD. It is poorly mastered. I have the SACD and the CD, and I never listen to the SACD version. The instruments appears in odd channels. It is really disappointing.

Jay J,

Thanks for the info on the CCR disk. They must have stuck the wrong sticker on it.:angry:

Dave

TomCW

Second Unit
Jay G
Welcome to the Hi-Rez club.
If you like acoustic music, try Alison Krauss + Union Station - New Favorite or Live, and Jorma Kaukonen - Blue Country Heart. As has been mentioned many times in this forum, both are excellent recordings.
Tom

Jay G

Auditioning
Wow,sounds fantastic!Crisp is the word I would use to describe it.You just hear everything.Norahs' voice is so clear.I actually listened to the whole disc in a sitting, which I have never done before.I listened to some of Boston again, I love the way a few of thier tracks sound as well.3 Doors Down didn't impress me the first time I listened to it.I would like to see Jewel come out in SACD because I love her voice and music.

Tom:I'll try those titles you mentioned.

Thanks for the help.
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks