What's new

Pioneer DV-563A Audio..... Help!! (1 Viewer)

Albert C

Agent
After reading up here about the DV-563A I went out and bought one yesterday at Best Buy.

The DVD video playback is looks and sounds great! It is replacing my Toshiba SD6200, mainly due to its other features. That's where I am having some problems.

I am new to SACD and DVD Audio. I bought "Dark Side Of The Moon" to try out SACD and Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will" to try out the DVD Audio. It is output to my Teac Dolby Digital (No DTS) receiver via the digital coax connection (my Dish 6000 unit utilizes the one optical digital input of my receiver).

1) DVD-Audio (Say you Will - Fleetwood Mac) - When I insert the disc, My receiver switches to DD surround for a moment, then switches to DD>PCM when the sound starts on the main menu. It then plays all selections in DD>PCM 2 speaker mode. I thought I was supposed to get surround sound on all 5 channels. I have the Digital Audio Out setting "connected" and told the DV-563A that I my receiver was Dolby Digital compatable and DTS incompatable. The disc boasts "This disc plays 3 ways: Advanced Resolution Surround, Advanced Resolution Stereo, and DVD-Video Compatable Dolby Digital".
It has DTS, Dolby Digital, and AC3 Surround Dolby Digital logos. How do I get surround?

2) SACD (Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd) - I get no sound. Does the 5.1 SACD Surround Sound Mix output through the same path as the DVD Audio? I set the SACD Playback option to "Multi-ch Area".

3) Since I have monster Jensens as my front L-R speakers I have no need for a subwoofer. I turned SW off. Is that correct?

This may be an all-in-one unit, but it seems you can't just pop in a disc and play. For a nucklehead like me that's a problem. Even worse, my wife will never figure it out. She gets mad about things like this. She still hasn't figured she needs to change the TV inputs to watch DVDs. If the JPG photo part works when the disk is popped in, I may be saved. Oh my!

I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Albert

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, where to start?

SACD and DVD-A do not output hi-rez signals via digital connections. You will need to use the 6 CH analog outs of the 563 (hope your receiver has 6 CH inputs).

Next, trust me on this....you need a sub.

Putting that aside, many players when set for all speakers large/sub off, do not correctly re-assign the bass to the main channels (this assumes that you are able to make connections as outlined above).

There are NO SACD titles with Dolby Digital. The best you will do there is to get the red book layer sent to your receiver, which will be PCM.

And for that to work, you will need to tell the player yo use the CD layer of SACDs.

Most DVD-A titles have either a Dolby Digital track or a DTS track. To get to those, you need to go to the menu of the player (not the disc) and tell it to use the DVD-Video layer of DVD-A titles.

That will give you access to the DD 5.1 track (if there is one).

I hate to say this, but to get the most out of this player will possibly require some updates in your set-up.

BGL

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
There are NO SACD titles with Dolby Digital. The best you will do there is to get the red book layer sent to your receiver, which will be PCM.
I'm thinking of getting this player, and I'm confused. Can I not get the benefits out of the SACD layer on Hybrid SACDs? What would be the point?

Also, I'm confused as to why SACD and DVD-A is analog, and not capable of using the optical output. My receiver has the analog inputs available (the Pioneer 810) but you'd think everything should go optical.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of getting this player, and I'm confused.

Can I not get the benefits out of the SACD layer on Hybrid SACDs? What would be the point?
You will still get benefit of the 2CH Hi-Rez track. And in fact, ALL SACD's have a 2 CH hi-rez track.

Whether or not you see a huge difference between that and the standard red book layer is up to you. Some users say its a minor difference, others say its a huge difference.

Personally, for my the big leap in sonics is when you go with the multi-channel hi-rez tracks...for me, that was a revelation.

And the lack of a digital out for the hi-rez stuff is a copy protection issue insisted upon by the content providers.

Having said that, their are some hi-dollar Pioneer and Denon player/receiver combos (we are talking over $5K for the pair) that do use a proprietary, copy protected link.

BGL

Albert C

Agent
SACD and DVD-A do not output hi-rez signals via digital connections. You will need to use the 6 CH analog outs of the 563 (hope your receiver has 6 CH inputs).
Well, there's my problem then. My TEAC receiver only has 6 CH preamp outputs, the only audio inputs are single cable digital and 2 channel analog. That's the next thing on my shopping list.....then maybe a sub once I hear the results. ;)

Thanks Brian!

Albert

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Also, I'm confused as to why SACD and DVD-A is analog, and not capable of using the optical output. My receiver has the analog inputs available (the Pioneer 810) but you'd think everything should go optical.
SACD and DVD-A discs hold digital data, however the outputs are analog only. The primary reason for this is the paranoia of the publishers. They don't want a digital output that isn't also copy protected. There is currently no standard for copy protected, multi-channel digital audio output -- thus analong outputs are used.

There are a very few receivers and players that do have digital outputs for SACD and DVD-A. But they are proprietary, and you need to carefully choose the player and receiver to ensure compatibility. They're also very expensive. And since the digital protocol used by these players is proprietary, it's unlikely to work with future receivers or pre-amps that use a standardized digital protocol.

Albert C

Agent
Next, trust me on this....you need a sub.
You are so right. I just hooked my DV-563A to a new receiver with 6 channel analog inputs and my Jensen 3150s are no longer cranking out the bass...with any input. Hey, but the SACD and DVD-A disks still sound nice.

If I get a sub then I figure I no longer need those huge space-hogging Jensens....then if....

One thing always leads to another!

Albert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks