What's new

Cannonball Run: EDITED??? (1 Viewer)

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
Yesterday I had some credit at a local store so I purchased Cannonball Run released by HBO Video in 2001. Can anyone tell me why this is edited in some spots? It is peculiar to me based on the places that were edited. There are some spots where the "S" word is overdubbed, but in other places they throw the word around without problem. Had I known there were edits I wouldn't have purchased it. Nothing I hate more than edited film. Especially overdubbing!!!

anyone know if there is a different version of the dvd out there or why they chose to do this?

One of the edited lines is Sammy Davis saying "Who's we, white man?" to Burt Reynolds... they completely cut out the "white man" words... very bad edit.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Peace, Love, and Home Simpson to Y'all!!!

--M

John C

Stunt Coordinator
The only question I have is whether these edits you say are on the DVD, are they on all the other versions also? I really hope so since it would really suck to have a butchered version of the movie.

Funny, there was an older version of Cannonball Run, I think from Vestron Video, that appeared to be comprised of some sort of TV edit with s*** indeed overdubbed into lines like "shoot" and that sort of thing. I looked at the HBO Video release when it came out and it was the correct version of the movie, with all profanity in its appropriate place. The DVD is, of course, just fine.

Are you sure that what you've got is indeed the HBO Video release? Did HBO release it more than once?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
To my knowledge, everything was on the DVD - nothing cut.

Great job on the transfer.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I do indeed remember noticing a few "shits" overdubbed with something less offensive. I just figured they wanted the PG rating and edited a few of them to appease the MPAA. I could be wrong, though.

Crap, I just admitted I own The Cannonball Run.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
There also were one or two "f***s" relooped in Smokey and the Bandit so it could squeek by with a PG rating.

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
OK... Let's see... says here on the case, copyright 2001 HBO Video. Rated PG.
some of the edited scenes (and these are just a few) are:
chpt 4: "You guys tore the heck out of that boat"
chpt 4: "You can smoke through traffic like a shot out of a gun"
chpt 14: "I think we're in deep you know what"
and as I stated above in
chpt 17: "What do you mean we, white man(omitted)?"
Hate edited material.. does anyone have any further info on the possible Vestron release???
Peace, Love, and Homer Simpson to Y'all!!!
--M

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks