What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's very much the opposite for me here. I knew Cannon from way back but hadn't really seen Barnaby Jones before the first season release and was extremely impressed. In all fairness, from what I've seen elsewhere I'm not expecting subsequent seasons to be quite as brilliant. Still, I like it more than Cannon now and this was quite a big surprise I found out. Love the era of these crime dramas overall, so I'm always getting everything released.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
HenryDuBrow said:
It's very much the opposite for me here. I knew Cannon from way back but hadn't really seen Barnaby Jones before the first season release and was extremely impressed. In all fairness, from what I've seen elsewhere I'm not expecting subsequent seasons to be quite as brilliant. Still, I like it more than Cannon now and this was quite a big surprise I found out. Love the era of these crime dramas overall, so I'm always getting everything released.
I don't remember much of Barnaby Jones past the first season. It was basically out of syndication here by the mid-late 80's and when PAX reran a handful of episodes, it was only first seasons ones. I remember seeing some in their original run on CBS and liking them, so I'm sure I'll like it still yet as I like almost anything with Buddy Ebsen.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My dad was a cop so I watched all these shows with him first run from basically the time I could talk so I am so very happy to see what I call the prime Big 5 (Cannon, Mannix, Barnaby, and Rockford, and the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie Detectives) finally all being complete and added to my collection. We never missed any of those shows when I was growing up and it always bring me back to fond memories or my childhood. Baretta and Police Woman are the only other two we watched weekly that I suppose I will not be able to complete, but I'm thrilled for what's out there and coming soon. 10 years ago, I would have never dreamed I would have access to what I do now.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Frank Soyke said:
My dad was a cop so I watched all these shows with him first run from basically the time I could talk so I am so very happy to see what I call the prime Big 5 (Cannon, Mannix, Barnaby, and Rockford, and the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie Detectives) finally all being complete and added to my collection. We never missed any of those shows when I was growing up and it always bring me back to fond memories or my childhood. Baretta and Police Woman are the only other two we watched weekly that I suppose I will not be able to complete, but I'm thrilled for what's out there and coming soon. 10 years ago, I would have never dreamed I would have access to what I do now.
My mother really liked Barnaby Jones, but she's into most any of the detective shows like McCloud, Columbo, McMillan and Wife, etc. My dad was a fan of Rockford Files and it stayed in syndication here for a while up into the 90's I believe, so I had a chance to watch a lot of it in reruns. I actually had my kids hooked on it when I found it on Netflix last year. They couldn't wait for our nightly installment of Rockford Files....lol :D I don't remember much of Mannix, though I caught a few episodes last year on Cloo one Saturday and it seemed like a really good show.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I hope VEI releases a complete series of Cannon. I missed season 3 and it is now out of print.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Brian Himes said:
I hope VEI releases a complete series of Cannon. I missed season 3 and it is now out of print.
Cannon Season Three MOD DVD is still listed as being available at moviesunlimited.com for $64.99. I got one several weeks ago. I would think that VEI would release sometime Cannon Season Three. However, if anyone doesn't want to wait, then you might try movies unlimited.com. Make sure you type it like this to bring it up on their website. Cannon Season three. If you just put the numeral, it will not come up.

Take Care!

Robert

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am hoping that VEI releases the complete seasons as well as the options for individual sets:

1. Cannon - I have S1-S3 as such I just want the remaining seasons

2. Barnaby Jones - I have S1

3. Petroceli

4. Matt Houston - I have S1

I am hoping this means that we could see more classic shows like Matt Helm or O'Hara Treasury Agent or other shows. I love classic tv!!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
MCCLOUD said:
Cannon Season Three MOD DVD is still listed as being available at moviesunlimited.com for $64.99.

Yeah, I saw that. Too pricey.

VEI has been pretty good about releasing complete series sets so I'll just wait until that comes out.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Brian Himes said:
Yeah, I saw that. Too pricey.

VEI has been pretty good about releasing complete series sets so I'll just wait until that comes out.
Hi Brian,

I likely will look for the completed sets of Barnaby Jones, Matt Houston, Petrocelli and the sentinel.

Cannon will be individual sets as I already have S1-S3.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I watched Barnaby Jones almost from the start. My brother and I used to make fun of it because Barnaby rarely killed the criminal. He would get him with one shot either to the leg or shoulder. He also had a small crime lab in his office, several years before Quincy, ME solved crimes with forensics. It also had the typical Quinn Martin guest stars, which were always top notch.

Barnaby could do it all. That is why this show is one of my favorites.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
phenri said:
Barnaby could do it all. That is why this show is one of my favorites.

I still remember an episode from the original network run (when I was a kid) in which Barnaby was held at gunpoint in a boathouse by the bad guy. Barnaby somehow got out of it by grabbing a small fishing net off the wall and swatting away the gun, IIRC.

I thoroughly enjoyed the season-1 DVD set of Barnaby Jones and will be all over any future releases.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
After seeing Buddy Ebsen as Jed Clampett for so many years, I initially wondered if I could get used to him as Barnaby Jones. But I never had a problem with that, Buddy Ebsen did a great job as a Barnaby Jones, the detective. I also thought Lee Meriwether was excellent in the show. It was definitely a solid Quinn Martin show.

The first season was excellent and I enjoyed the season 1 release from CBS. I am looking forward to the new releases from VEI.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
The problem is whether you have as much fun watching it when the picture quality is only half as good as the Season 1 of "Barnaby Jones" set by CBS/Paramount.

I like "Cannon" very much but I can´t enjoy it as much as I want because of the lousy picture quality.

To this day I don´t understand why CBS/Paramount release series like "Matt Houston", The Streets of San Francisco, Hawaii Five 0, Mannix in HD remastered and a popular series like "Cannon" not.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
bronson said:
To this day I don´t understand why CBS/Paramount release series like "Matt Houston", The Streets of San Francisco, Hawaii Five 0, Mannix in HD remastered and a popular series like "Cannon" not.

Especially original-recipe Five-O-- the picture quality on that was nothing short of stunning.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
The first three seasons of Cannon looked pitiful. It is a shame that CBS wouldn't do any better for William Conrad. But if it is all they're gonna give me, then I have made my peace with it. Cannon is my all-time fave, and I'm grateful to have it at all, and grateful that VEI is going to give me the last two seasons of crappy looking prints. William Conrad's performance shines through no matter what it looks like.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
GMBurns said:
The first three seasons of Cannon looked pitiful. It is a shame that CBS wouldn't do any better for William Conrad. But if it is all they're gonna give me, then I have made my peace with it. Cannon is my all-time fave, and I'm grateful to have it at all, and grateful that VEI is going to give me the last two seasons of crappy looking prints. William Conrad's performance shines through no matter what it looks like.

Cannon is a great show, so I will be grateful to have the rest of it no matter how it looks. He is a really likable character. He can make fun of himself, he takes no crap from anyone, and he's tough, so he can take a punch as well as give it. I can't wait to have this show completed.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Agree with Mr Bronson et al regarding subpar Cannon releases from CBS/P. It's a terrific series but the decision to release as higher priced split seasons with shoddy prints helped kill this at retail. Cannon deserved better.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Steve...O said:
Agree with Mr Bronson et al regarding subpar Cannon releases from CBS/P. It's a terrific series but the decision to release as higher priced split seasons with shoddy prints helped kill this at retail. Cannon deserved better.

Yes, it is sad that Cannon did not get the same effort in terms of remastering/cleanup of the images. I still like Cannon as William Conrad was perfect for the role as Frank Cannon.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
GMBurns said:

I hope one day somebody will release another William Conrad show called "Nero Wolfe" on DVD though only 13 episodes were produced before the show was cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks