Can the upgraded SVS driver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

change the output level on my BFD? I don't see how that could be. But unless I've changed something and don't remember doing it, my BFD output levels are definitely up from where I remember seeing them.
    I *never* got the BFD clip light to illuminate before with ref level MV setting. But after the driver upgrade, using the same source (Titan AE), I am getting significant illumination of my clip output LEDs... this at 5 to 10 under ref, too.
    I have even seen the Samson amp very slightly light up the clip LED since the upgrade, but I had the sub about 5 dB hotter than the calibrated level.
    Maybe I just didn't have things set like I did when I last set up the BFD. But is it possible that the new driver takes less power and allows the output level on the BFD to be higher that originally set?
    I figure I'm just not remembering correctly. [​IMG]
    Oh.. one thing I remember changing in the last few days before the upgrade.. I disabled the Bass Peak Level Limiter after reading Ron's post about bass compression. Could that have been a factor?
    One thing's for sure, this new driver can really sing! Although I've lusted after a 2nd CS, this has moved me much closer to a dual CS setup sound than I would have thought possible (if I remember how those dual CSes sounded a few weeks ago)
    Looks like I better recalibrate after the driver upgrade.

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Rick, what is the bass peak level limiter? Is that something unique to your amp/receiver? I have the BFD 1124 and don't remember anything there....

3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Sorry! The BPLL is a function of THX receivers. (left that minor detail out!)