What's new

Can the Robocop Criterion edition still be found in stores? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I want to get this version. I have yet to find it. All I can find is the barebones version.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Stephen, try searching online. I'm sure some places still have it. After all, it officially went OOP I believe a few months ago. Or was that Dead Ringers. I'm not sure now, but I still think a couple of places will have them. Of course, you'll need a credit card, store card (Best Buy or the like), Gift Card (Suncoast or Media Play), or even Amazon will take checks if you order it and click check. I'll check some of my usual Online stores. Also, if all else fails you may want to check Ebay (Elame?), I'm sure some schmuck out there is going to sell it for $50-80!

Have you checked B&Ms like Best Buy, Circuit "Lame" City, Media Play, and/or Suncoast? Some of these stores may have one or two copies left.

Edit: Amazon has it for $35

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Try Suncoast. You'll pay list price, but I've seen at least 2 or 3 copies in every store I've been to in major Texas cities, so try in your neck of the woods.

Nobody wants to pay full price, so they stay on the shelves at Suncoast forever.

Those who are willing to pay up, don't know it is available there, and pay ridiculous prices on E-bay.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Weird.

I pop into Suncoasts in every state I'm in, looking specifically for overpriced but OOP dvds to resell. I can find any, anywhere. I've probably been in 20 suncost stores (or similar mall video shops) in the past 90 days- and nothing like this.

Robocop has been OOP for a year- and is scarce. The going Ebay price is $30-40. If there is a supply of OOP DVDs on shelves at Suncoast, I have yet to find them where I live, so you might have trouble as well.

And if you find them, I'd suggest that you buy them all, wait 6-9 months and then sell them for double the price!

-Vince

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can find this title - hell, it's at my local On Cue (small town version of Media Play) albeit at full price (at least it was a week ago). I've also seen it at a Barnes and Nobles, again at full price, and I'm pretty certain other places. A deal, however, unless you get lucky, will be hard to come by.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a sealed copy of Robocop:Criterion for $23.51 on eBay ($27.51 including shipping), so there's still hope for you. Most of the auctions are ending around that price, so I'd buy it there (while the buying is good).

Sometimes eBay Criterions can be a ripoff, but this is actually a good deal. I think it's because Robocop has been out for a while, so it's not that rare... Anyone who wanted a copy had plenty of time to buy it, as opposed to some other OOP Criterions.

I see that Sid and Nancy is selling at $60 or so, which makes me regret not buying it the day I heard it was OOP. I wasn't sure I wanted to take the risk, someone else bought it, and I missed out.

I'd like to buy Spinal Tap, but I can't bring myself to pay the railroader's price that eBayers charge. I've got the LD, so getting the DVD would only be for convenience (and completion, to have yet another Criterion).

I hate the fact that their stuff goes OOP. I know that it's unaviodable, but it still pisses me off. I saw the 400 blows for the first time a few months ago, and I liked it a lot. I missed the Criterion boat on that one by a long shot, and now it's like $250. I know that the movie can be had for much cheaper, but I really like Criterion's style of historian commentaries... And I just like Criterion. Their menus, their boxes, their design - all top notch.

Of course, I think the people who pay top dollar for SALO are pretty silly, but that's just me... With no special features, there comes a point where it's just ridiculous to pay that much for a DVD. I mean, with Spinal Tap I could justify it, because there's all that great bonus material, but a barebones disc for $600 is a bit of a stretch. You might be able to buy a 16mm print for less money!

Well, that's enough of a Criterion rant for now. I'm going to buy the 4 Hitchcocks as soon as I can afford them. It's just like a ticking Criterion timebomb, since I want to make sure I nab the ones I really want before they go OOP. Oh well, that's how it goes in this crazy DVD world we live in!

One final point - I've read on this board that MGM is putting out a SE next year, so you'll probably want to pick that up too. I just love the Criterion artwork, I think that this disc is worth it for the box alone. I loved the look of the Laserdisc with the same artwork. I suppose you could take the Criterion artwork, and put it into one of those newfangled slim 2-disc cases. Then you could make your own two disc SE with the MGM special edition and the Criterion disc too. I should probaly do that with my Silence of the Lambs Criterion, but I haven't bought the MGM disc yet. Will I ever bring myself to buy Spinal Tap Criterion on DVD? Only time will tell.

I've really got to stop babbling.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The Media Play near me has a few.

I had this Criterion version of Robocop on Laser Disc and when I got into DVD I bought it as soon as it became available. Its well worth the money I think. I love the added footage.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wish the Criterion was Anamorphic, but alas no. I picked up the MGM bare bones which has a decent anamorphic transfer. If the SE extras warrant it, I'll sell that and pick it up next year.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Media Play in Livonia, Michigan had at least one copy of the Criterion Robocop in stock as of yesterday (and a gajillion or so of the recent MGM version).

Regards,

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
A local Barnes and Noble(Willow Grove,Pa) had it the last time I was there. I don't know if other B&N's would also have it but it might be worth a look.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
StephenA, we would cordially request a response from you. Do you want us to get it for you, or do you need stores to find it in? From my experience here, the people here are more than willing to lend a hand to a brother.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Right now I don't have any money. I'm looking for a job and stuff, so I can't buy it personally. I'm using my saved money to pay bills, fix my truck, pay my mom rent, etc. Was fired a while ago from work. Was hoping to put this DVD on my Christmas list so my mom would pick it up if it was easy to find. She still gets me a couple things each year. Looks like it might be. I'll look in Beast Buy, Barnes and Noble, and Suncoast to see if it's there. Thanks for the offer, though.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I hate the fact that their stuff goes OOP. I know that it's unaviodable, but it still pisses me off. I saw the 400 blows for the first time a few months ago, and I liked it a lot. I missed the Criterion boat on that one by a long shot, and now it's like $250. I know that the movie can be had for much cheaper, but I really like Criterion's style of historian commentaries... And I just like Criterion. Their menus, their boxes, their design - all top notch.
If you want a great version of the 400 Blows forget about Criterion. Use the $250 to buy a Malata or other first rate region free PAL/NTSC converting DVD player and get the MK2 (Region 2, France) $20 DVD of the 400 Blows which is vastly superior to the Criterion.
It has a great anamorphic transfer (Criterion did not), and all kinds of extras ranging from remarkable actor audition films (you quickly see how much of the protagonist came from the actor himself) to documentaries, commentary and Truffaut's excellent short film Les Mistons (The Mischief Makers).
Unless you view OOP Criterions as a money making proposition, sooner or later something better will come out.
Ted

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I came across 2 copies at the Barton Springs Mall in Austin, Texas last Sunday as I went searching for a copy of "Rear Window" as a Christmas gift (I give only the best films).

No "Rear Window," but 2 Criterion Robocops. Go figure.

As for the Criterion Robocop Laserdisc, I picked it up used from Half Price Books for $7.98 about 6 months ago. I decided to keep it along with the Criterion DVD, as it has the second most useless LD/DVD extra ever offered: The Robocop in 2 minutes collage. That's something well worth keeping for the sheer novelty.

The first, BTW, is the Virtual Katana Sword on the Highlander Director's Cut LD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks