What's new

Can someone tell me exactly what scenes were added to the Star Wars DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I've heard on several different occasions about extra scenes or extra parts of scenes added to the Episode 1 and 2 DVDs. I have noticed a few of the scenes on my own but i'm still not sure about some of them.

I've heard mention of some added footage to the Darth Maul fight at the end of the Phantom Menace? Does anyone know what exactly was added here? I can't tell myself.

Thanks,

Dan.b

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Daniel-

The problem is that Lucas kept tinkering with the films

and that, for example, on Episode II, what was shown in

digital projection theaters and what was presented in

film projected theaters was different for a while.

Episode I incorporates into the film:
-a longer cut of the pod race, with more introductions
to the other racers.
-a taxi-ing scene from the landing pad when Amidala

and the gang arrive on Coruscant
-as for the Darth Maul final duel, while I never noticed
the difference, apparently, from the first pre-shows,
which all the proceeds went to a children's charity, it
wasn't quite as explicit that Maul was cut in half.
(There's more, but I haven't head my caffiene yet.)

Episode II incorporates into the film
-Anakin's robotic hand being held during the wedding
ceremony (only previously available in digital projection
showings)
-Jango's rocket pack "fizzles" and mis-fires during his
final moments of existence (after getting mauled by the
Reek).

(Again, there is more, but maybe someone juiced up can
fill you in. ) :)

Mark

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, thanks for the info you did provide. I'm still a little unsure about the Darth Maul death scene. I don't remember it looking any different when I saw it in the theatre. Thats why i'm really wondering about that particular scene. Thanks.

Dan.b

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Also, when Anakin is confessing to Padme after slaughtering the Tuskens, the DVD adds a line of him saying I"m a Jedi, I'm better than this", and then he breaks down. That's the only difference I ever noticed besides the mechanical hand holding at the end, but there could be more.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
All 3 changes to Episode II that I have heard about have been mentioned.

As for the Darth Maul death, if anything the clarity of DVD helps in seeing the spray of blood when Anakin chops him in half.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Also, the scene where Padme gets up after tumbling from the gunship is slightly altered. She moans instead of jumping up and saying, "I'm fine!"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
as for the Darth Maul final duel, while I never noticed the difference, apparently, from the first pre-shows, which all the proceeds went to a children's charity, it wasn't quite as explicit that Maul was cut in half.
It actually has nothing to do with editing (i.e. cut for the pre-shows), I believe it was the blood effect. The only difference was the fact that one cut shows the blood spatter (which is on the DVD) and the other cut (which was probably produced for the charity pre-show) doesn't have the spatter.

p.s. The blood spatter isn't when he falls, it's when Obi-Wan initally strikes him.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
It actually has nothing to do with editing (i.e. cut for the pre-shows), I believe it was the blood effect. The only difference was the fact that one cut shows the blood spatter (which is on the DVD) and the other cut (which was probably produced for the charity pre-show) doesn't have the spatter.
Actually, the change added was Maul being split in two. In the preview, Maul falls in the pit in one piece, but in the final version, he is bisected. Lucas did this to show the audience that Maul really was dead.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the change added was Maul being split in two. In the preview, Maul falls in the pit in one piece, but in the final version, he is bisected. Lucas did this to show the audience that Maul really was dead.
What about the blood? I know I heard about a version without the blood spatter.

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
Maybe its just my memory that plays tricks on me, but I seem to remember that the scene where Anakin is slaughtering the Tuskens was longer theatrically.

Can anyone confirm this?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The Tusken Slaughter may have seemed longer in the theater because you're seeing it for the first time. Kinda like the long car trip that seems shorter on the way back home :D

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, I can confirm that I saw Episode 1 in the theaters on opening night and Darth Maul did in fact get cut in half. :)

Dan.b

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
The bald, white skinned bounty hunter, Aura Sing (sp?) was added to the extended ep1.

Met the actress at Chiller convention. Beautiful.

Peter

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Daniel...I am not 100% positive about this, but I too remember seeing Maul cut in half.

I saw Star Wars I on opening day and I remember discussing the movie (that same night) about how Darth Maul won't be back for Ep.II because he was cut in half.

Maybe there were select viewings of a version where he didn't get cut in half...I also stand by my blood spatter not being in the initial theatrical viewings. I'll have to check, but doesn't Lucas mention something about this in the commentary?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Mark, the Darth Maul death was changed from early screenings. By the wide release, it was as it is now.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I saw Aurra Sing in the pod race scene during the
theatrical run (openning day), too.

Now, for Maul being shown falling in two separate pieces,
I am talking about the charity showings
that only happened in like 20 cities in the US and tickets
were well more than $150.00. This was at least a week prior
to the film's official theatrical release date.

I know Steve Tannehill went to one of those showings,
in Texas so maybe he can fill us in.

Mark

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I'm glad this came up, because there is something that I have always wanted to state about one scene in particular. That scene being Padme holding on to Anakin's robotic hand at the end.

I saw this film twice in conventional cinemas, one showing being that of the midnight opening and I can, without a doubt, say that the scene appeared then and it does on the DVD now. The people I saw this film with agree as well.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Dwayne,

I agree that Anakins robotic hand was in the theatrical release. I saw the midnight show (the day it came out) in a non-digital projection theater, and I remember discussing it with a friend on the next day at work. It was definitely in the theatrical release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks