What's new

CAN CAN (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Why have we never seen Can Can (1960) on bluray? It was filmed in 70MM with 6 track mag sound and looks amazing!

Problematic film elements I would imagine. If there had been a pristine HD ready transfer I'm sure it would have been released by the now defunct Twilight Time when it had access to the 20th Century Fox library. Now that Disney has taken over Fox's library, a chance of it ever seeing the light of day on blu ray seems highly unlikely.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Where have you seen it where it looks amazing? The Fox DVD suffered from the problematic film elements that Thomas T mentioned above.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As I recall, Can-Can was one of the possible choices which Fox floated in their decades-based vote-for-Blu-ray contest quite a few years ago. I reviewed all of the winning selections. The 1960s choices both went to John Wayne films, but I assumed Fox had something ready to go if Can-Can had been selected.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Where have you seen it where it looks amazing? The Fox DVD suffered from the problematic film elements that Thomas T mentioned above.
We had a 70mm print at Fox NZ and we screened it at the Westend Auckland many years ago for a private staff screening. The print was imaculate and the sound beautiful, but probably it was destroyed when they junked all their prints years ago! :angry:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
We had a 70mm print at Fox NZ and we screened it at the Westend Auckland many years ago for a private staff screening. The print was imaculate and the sound beautiful, but probably it was destroyed when they junked all their prints years ago! :angry:

i saw CAN-CAN where I worked in Wellington,New Zealand when it was first released. The film was so popular that we had several re-issues. We had a 59ft wide curved TODD-AO screen. Maybe the print that you saw was lent to them by a collector of 70mm films. One such person in New Zealand is said to have about 30 feature films in 70mm.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
i saw CAN-CAN where I worked in Wellington,New Zealand when it was first released. The film was so popular that we had several re-issues. We had a 59ft wide curved TODD-AO screen. Maybe the print that you saw was lent to them by a collector of 70mm films. One such person in New Zealand is said to have about 30 feature films in 70mm.
No the 70MM print we got was from Fox Auckland, I used to work in their repair room and the film exchange. I was an assistant projectionist at the time when we screened Can Can for the private screening, this would have been roung 1968/69. BTW what theatre in Wellington had the 59ft curved TODD-AO screen, it would have been Amalgamated Theatres? Where you also a projectionist?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
As I recall, Can-Can was one of the possible choices which Fox floated in their decades-based vote-for-Blu-ray contest quite a few years ago. I reviewed all of the winning selections. The 1960s choices both went to John Wayne films, but I assumed Fox had something ready to go if Can-Can had been selected.

They did:

From in70mm.com:

JANUARY 2010

"Can Can" work completed some time ago. Unfortunately, due to the fading issues in the original camera negative (both horizontal fading at the cuts, as well as east-west fading from poor storage), Fox/FotoKem were not able to make a new 70mm print from the negative.

Instead, a new 65mm IP from the negative as a preservation element has been made, and then Fotokem performed a huge amount of HD restoration. No new print, sadly, but it will make a passable Blu-ray. Hopefully, as technology becomes better, faster, and cheaper, Fox/FotoKem will be able to improve on it in the years to come.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
No the 70MM print we got was from Fox Auckland, I used to work in their repair room and the film exchange. I was an assistant projectionist at the time when we screened Can Can for the private screening, this would have been roung 1968/69. BTW what theatre in Wellington had the 59ft curved TODD-AO screen, it would have been Amalgamated Theatres? Where you also a projectionist?

It was the King's Theatre. I remember as a kid when cinemascope was installed for THE ROBE. Years later I saw TODD-AO being installed for SOUTH PACIFIC. I was never bored seeing the film during it's 24 week season. I did get bored however, with having to endure SOUND OF MUSIC for almost 11 months..No ,I wasn't a projectionist. I also used to see many 70mm films when they were being screened for the censor. I left working at the King's in mid 1967 to come to live in Australia. The Embassy cinema down the road from us (still open) had a 60ft wide screen and was advertised as the largest screen for 70mm projection in the Southern Hemisphere. Did you ever see 70mm at the Plaza in Auckland? They had a big screen-not sure how big it was.I only ever saw CLEOPATRA there when on vacation.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
It was the King's Theatre. I remember as a kid when cinemascope was installed for THE ROBE. Years later I saw TODD-AO being installed for SOUTH PACIFIC. I was never bored seeing the film during it's 24 week season. I did get bored however, with having to endure SOUND OF MUSIC for almost 11 months..No ,I wasn't a projectionist. I also used to see many 70mm films when they were being screened for the censor. I left working at the King's in mid 1967 to come to live in Australia. The Embassy cinema down the road from us (still open) had a 60ft wide screen and was advertised as the largest screen for 70mm projection in the Southern Hemisphere. Did you ever see 70mm at the Plaza in Auckland? They had a big screen-not sure how big it was.I only ever saw CLEOPATRA there when on vacation.
Yes I saw many 70MM films at the Plaza in Auckland and also screened films from that projection room many times, never 70MM. It was a great place to watch 70mm and the only place I know of that installed the curved TODD-AO screen when they showed 70MM, when they went back to 35MM they removed the curved screen and went back to flat screen. They would do the changeover after that last show of the night. Also one of the few places that had a drop down screen over the Waterfall curtain that the glass advertising slides were screened on. I screened 70MM at the Cinerama Auckland which was also great. However the best 70MM was at Kerridge Odeons Embassy Auckland, we had a great curved screen and the top masking went up for 70MM, the sound there was out of this world!

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Why on earth would you want Can Can on Blu-ray? I agree with Leonard Maltin when he writes: "Lackluster version of Cole Porter musical, " and "Sinatra is blase and MacLaine shrill." Cheers~~

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Why on earth would you want Can Can on Blu-ray? I agree with Leonard Maltin when he writes: "Lackluster version of Cole Porter musical, " and "Sinatra is blase and MacLaine shrill." Cheers~~
Some people might not agree with your opinion. Some people are able to find good elements in films that are otherwise pretty poor. Some people are completists and want in their collection every one of their favorite star's movies. In other words several reasons.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Cann Can may not be the best musical of all time but there are hundreds that were made much worse! However us film collectors dont just save the best films, in my collection of 3000 BDs I have a few hundred I will never watch or only look at the first 10mins or so...However I collect them for many reasons, too many to go into here...Thats what collectors do, they just dont collect the pretty stamps or the best looking coins etc etc... Can Can has a rating of 6.3 on IMDb, I bet you have films in your collection that rate lower than that, 6.3 is quite high infact for IMDb. Yes yes the film is long and drags in parts, but if you ever had seen this in 70MM on a huge curved screen and wonderful sound you may feel different, big screen images that are perfect looking are something else!

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
What film viewers and collectors want in HD and enjoy are very subjective. I'm sure there are a couple in your top ten want on Blu-ray list many of us would consider worthless. Why bother posting a negative comment?

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I saw "Can Can" many times when it was first issued at the Fox Theater in Pomona, California. I was too young to understand everything in it, but I enjoyed it just the same. Later it moved to the State Theater in Pomona, where I also saw it. I'm sorry to hear that the original elements have deteriorated. Also sorry that the consensus is that a blu-ray is unlikely now that Disney owns Fox library.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
1. Juliet Prowse
2. Nelson Riddle's arrangements of Cole Porter's music, particularly Sinatra's melancholy version of "It's All Right With Me"
3. Juliet Prowse
Shirley MacLaine !
6221462106_ac37e62b43_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks