What's new

Cambridge Audio DVD300 (1 Viewer)

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
You could visit www.audioshop.on.ca and ask Marc for some info on it, as they stock that unit.
I'm actually going to look at this player on the weekend or sooner. I've seen it before but not while it's playing.
It's a gorgeous unit, no plastic on it to my knowledge.
Nice remote but no backlighting.
I'll post if I end up buying it.
Jeff

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
It has to be plastic. It only weighs like 7.7 lbs!
I am also interested in it. Anyone know who did the insides? (I.e., what major brand is it based on?)
Anyone know of better prices?
Oooh, I would love to see a review of it on Secrets... (hint, hint) :)

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I did receive a quote from Everest audio and asked AudioAdvisor if they would match the price and they did (The price did not include a $30 import duty, so $370). I ordered it today and will have it by friday. I liked the 30 day return policy that AudioAdvisor has and figured it would be easier to return if it didn't work out. I'll post my views on it later next week. ;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Dave- Any chance you'd open it up to take a look inside? :)
Let us know what you think.
I think of this player as... "A cheap, potentially audiophile quality player for those who don't need progressive scan, SACD, or DVD-A."
Also, the "computer-grade assembly" should mean that layer changes are faster than std "stereo component" DVD players I imagine.
Maybe you can check to see if it plays CD-RW's too?

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Just received the player today.
Kevin - I don't have the size of star screws that they use on the top of the player (very tiny), so I wont be able to help you on the picture of the inside. However, JeffreyH has apparently cracked one open, so you may want to inquire with him.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=cambridge
**Go through the setup menu first, the default is S-Video, when I popped in a DVD and saw blue images I thought it was damaged. A quick change on the setup yielded beautiful results, very detailed. It has bested my two previous players, Panasonic A310 and Sony DVP360. Colors are a bit saturated out of the box and will need to be toned down a bit. The depth of the picture is very good. I haven't had time to check chroma bug, but apparently JeffreyH above states it's there. The slow motion is smooth adjustable between 1/4 and 1/2 speed. Pause works very well with no noise displayed. Search is not quite as smooth, from the remote press once and it searches, no need to hold down the button. There is a zoom feature, that works however I have had nothing to compare it's use to. It has direct chapter access via the remote and it works (unlike the A310).
The construction is very good. It appears to have either aluminum or some heavy plastic front and housing to it. The tray is slow to open and fast to close. It takes 7 to 10 seconds for a disc to load. There is some noise from the transport initially and during menues. However, once the movie or cd is at the play point it is dead QUIET!! This was music (or should I say silence) to my ears (compared to that monkey music grinder Sony 360). The dislay is a bit bright (blue) and is not adjustable, however you can read it from a distance fairly easy.
The audio is fabulous.. The best way I can describe it is more detailed than my previous but in a way tubelike sounding, VERY LISTENABLE. The sound flows like a smooth curve with a more analog sense to it, compared to the others sounding really digitized.
So far, I'm very happy. I'll try to post more as I use the player.

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
It was a hard unit to open up, the top is also glued down.
I'm not sure what type of material the unit is made of. Seems like steel or aluminum. One of the salesreps said that if he was looking inside of a $2000(can) player he'd believe it. They all were totally impressed with the build quality at any price. They also noted that the internals were laid out much nicer than Cambridge audio's Cd players. Not as "messy".
Like David said and I said eariler, this thing is quiet!
I can't believe it. I've had a denon, marantz, apex, and NAD players and this thing is unreal.
No noise at all once the movie gets going.
Layer changes are about average. The chroma bug is there, on my Panasonic it shows it's ugly head. That's not to say others won't see it. Most people probably wouldn't but if the bug is something that bothers you then I'd have to say stay away.
Yes it does play CD-r's. I have some burned discs containing some Mp3's and I had no problems with them.
The on-screen menu even has a little equalizer jumping around in the top corner.
I popped in Shrek today and it's never looked better on my tv. The picture quality of this player is awesome.
I did notice the saturated colours as well when I fired it up and I was caught off guard as well with the all blue menus. I thought I hooked something up wrong at first but checked the onscreen menus and switched it over to component for a quick fix.
That's about it, the chroma bug gets to me enough that I'm taking it back :frowning:
Maybe I should keep it as a cd player Hmmmm...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Uh oh, I feel a potential case of "upgradeitis" coming on... :)
(My current player has the chroma bug too, but I've never noticed it. Just interested in a basic, *quality*, DVD player *other* than what is mass marketed...)
Thanks!

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
The player does not have a standby power button. It's either on or off and cannot be controlled via the remote control.
It states it will play CD-R/CD-RW, I haven't been able to verify this as I cannot aquire any software to test.
I do not have headphones, so I cannot verify that feature either.
A big difference I noticed was, I used to feel that the Fleetwood Mac The Dance DVD was mixed to heavy in the bass region. I used to have to turn down the subwoofer level from +4 to -3. I cannot believe the difference, it sounds beautiful with the Cambridge and the subwoofer level stays at +4, amazing!:emoji_thumbsup:
I cannot believe the detail this player has unveiled from my system. Absolutely no buyers remorse, and that's a great feeling!:D

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I was just commenting on Cambridge Audio's affordable D500se CD player in some other threads, which is their claim to fame for the last couple of years. There are pics of it's innards available online.
I guess I may as well post the tidbits here too. :)
Stereophile Class 'C' "Recommended Component"
British Hi-Fi Choice "Best Buy"
24-bit Delta-Sigma dual-differential DAC from Crystal
boards are modular for easy upgrades
control chip designed by Sony exclusively for Cambridge Audio
dual mono topology
regulated power supplies for digital and analog circuits
copper shielding
BNC digital output and optical TosLink
nice silver faceplate option w/better display

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks