What's new

Cambridge Audio dvd300 &JVC 70BK (1 Viewer)

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, I've been having problems with the chroma bug, I hate it. I know it doesn't bother some people and others don't even know it's there.

I bought the Cambridge Audio DVD300 yesterday with an updated C-CUBE chip inside with hopes of no chroma. Well it's still there! Even more so than in my NAD.

So it's going back. I don't want to take it back because it's looks bring up the property value.

The build quality is amazing. We cracked it open in the store to find out which chipset it used and we were all amazed at the layout inside. Great stuff!

I hate the remote, buttons are too small and the onscreen display is straight off of the Apex players!

This player is also very quiet. It starts out with a whirl but after about a minute there is nothing but silence! Cool!

Anyway, I'm going to get a JVC player, probably the 70bk, or I'll try to hunt down a 721 or 723. They all are becoming very scarce around here.

This will be for Interlaced play only! Is this a good choice? Any other player I should look at that would outperform the JVC's and not show the Chroma bug?

I imagine new JVC's are coming out soon? Should I wait?

Thanks!

Jeff

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not aware of many players other then panasonics that don't have the chroma bug...any reason you're not looking at one of those?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey- Can you tell what player The Cambridge Audio is based on? I.e., Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, etc. (The transport, laser, and such...)

Thanks!

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Kevin I couldn't tell you what other platform they are based on. I did notice as I mentioned that the onscreen displays are the same as in the Apex players. I believe the zoom feature was the same as well.

Andrew: I'm not looking into the Panasonics because I have heard of the "flicker bug" and since I see the Chroma bug so well on my set I thought this problem would show itself too.

I'm not sure if the RP-91 has the problem, but that player is out of my price range.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would do a search on the JVC because from what I remember it doesn't have a very good interlaced picture because it gets it's interlaced picture from the progressive scan picture. But from what I've read the progressive scan picture is suposed to be really good that's why people like the JVC only for it's progressive scan picture not the interlaced picture. If I was you I would try one of the Panasonic's, but make sure you can return it. Who knows maybe the slight flicker bug? might not show up that much on your set & you could live with it!

Users who are viewing this thread