What's new

Cable modem for Comcast? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My dad is in the suburbs of Indianapolis. He's got Comcast. He realized this week he's been paying -- maybe for years -- for hardware he doesn't actually have. And he's renting their cable modem. He's getting refunds, scrubbing service costs, and while he's at it, wants to buy a cable modem to cut that rental fee.

I've got FIOS. I've never had a cable-modem rental fee and don't know anything about buying one. What should he buy?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Depending on his internet speed and if he doesn;t need a modem with built in WiFi I highly recommend the Motorola/Arris 6141 (or even 6121 if he is on less than 30). Up to 100 download speed it was a rock.

I just moved to 200+ download and upgraded to a 6183 which has been OK, but definitely more reboots than the 6141 needed.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Arris bought out Motorola's line of cable modems some time ago, which explains some of the common "surfboard" model numbers. I'm using what's the most generic one which is the SB6121. I bought it used off Amazon for around $40. It's labeled with a Motorola logo but newer ones will have an Arris logo in them. Originally I was using it at 50 MBS download but then my supplier bumped the minimum speed up to 100 MBS download. The SB6121 is now almost maxed out but still working fine.

Last edited:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
If he's using their phone service you need the TG862G-CT. I have this and bought it off Amazon. Exact same model as I was renting from Comcast and the switch over was easy. I also had them put it into bridge mode so I could use my own router.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks