What's new

Wireless Router Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey guys I recently went to the 150mpps Internet package from comcast and was getting nowhere near that speed, so I hooked my Cable modem right to my PC and It was fine, meaning my old Netgear Router, which has started to act up needs to get replaced. Looking for suggestions for a good reliable Wireless router hoperfully Under $100. I have all sort of devices from Ipads to Xbox's that would connect. I was looking at a TP Link ac1750 from Amazon, but before I buy wanted to post this here

Thanks

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The best I have ever used with the fewest issues (read: never had a problem) is Apple's Airport Extreme Base Station. They go for right around $200 so it may be more router than you want. Apple also makes an Airport Express router which is another fine option without a lot of the bells and whistles which will set you back about $99.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like the Apple AirPort Extreme Basestation. But I'm an Apple user.

The Wirecutter has the following recommendation. You should real the opening paragraphs to see what they say about alternate options too.

“After more than 250 total hours of research and testing, we recommend the TP-Link Archer C7 (v2) router for most people. We’ve tested it against nearly 30 other routers over the past two years, and it’s still our favorite. This dual-band, three-stream 802.11ac (wireless-ac) router wasn’t the fastest on all of our tests, but it has an amazing range and delivers great performance for its low price. It’s an unbeatable value.”

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I bought the cheapie TP-Link TL-WR841N for IIRC $20. It's been a trooper since I bought it in the middle of last year. Limited bandwidth (100 MBS wired, 300 MBS wireless) but sufficient for use with my 100 MBS cable service. For this reason I'd think you should consider the faster offerings from TP-Link as they appear to have their act together.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What did you end up getting, Dave?

I went w/ the then newly released (alien-looking) ASUS RT-AC5300 when I finally went from 3Mbps DSL to 50/5 cable service roughly year-and-half ago. Gave it SSID of DS9 because of its appearance, hehheh...

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/

Very capable for our family of 5 (across 3 stories in our modest size townhouse) w/ all the phones, laptops/PCs and networked devices, storage, etc (and need for some parental controls) -- we don't really do networked gaming or the like though, which is supposed to be one of the primary selling points of this kit.

Stopped using ethernet LAN connection to stream (1080p) to our HT setup after getting this unit as its signal strength seems plenty strong enough (and much better than the old Verizon provided router+DSL-modem unit)...

_Man_

PS: Sorry, just realized you were looking for something under $100, and I'm speaking from a totally diff ballpark, LOL...:P

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
TP-Link makes very good stuff. Many years ago, when they were new (check out their story, kind of interesting) and I had never heard of them, I bought one of their modem/routers because it was the cheapest thing available, and I needed a spare modem for substituting when people said their modem was bad or such.

Since then, I've bought a lot of their stuff, everything new here in fact. One thing I really like is everything runs dead cool, that gives me confidence. As compared to my older stuff (mostly Linksys) that I still use that always runs rather hot; it's been running that way for years, so my "lack of confidence" is practically unfounded, but still...

I'm only saying this because sometimes you might think if something is "cheap" it must be crappy. I like it when this isn't so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks