cabinet question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Alex_P, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Using WinISD, I choose closed cabinet. The measurement comes out to be 20.9"W x 32.4"H x 13.1"D. I don't like the shape of the box. I want to make it like a perfect cube box. With a lil math calculation, for a perfect cube box the length of each size is approximately 20.8" (doing it by hand, perhaps I should use a calculator [​IMG]).

Questions:
    1. Will a perfect cube box has the same result as the retangular shape (assuming they have the same volume)?
    2. I want the driver to fire downward. Does it matter if the driver fire front or down since it's a closed cabinet?

This sub is going to be 90% movies and 10% music. I want to get a flat response on SPL. I wanted to go with ported cabinet BUT the size of the cabinet is too big [​IMG] So I decided to go w/ the closed cabinet. Can someone give me some inputs regarding my 2 questions above? Thanks a million...

Alex,

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

1. Yes.
    2. Probably not, but you can easily test by orienting the cube either way and listen to what sounds best to you.

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

A cube should be fine. Most speaker deisgn software defaults to a rectangular shape to minimize coloration from standing waves. At sub frequencies, though, that's not generally a problem since 1/2 wavelength of 80Hz is over seven feet!

Downfiring is generally OK, but you'll lose a tiny bit of excursion from cone sag. Different drivers suffer from this more than others. I believe Adire's website has a little forumula to calculate the excursion loss based on Vas, Mms, etc.

Ah yes... a common problem. Do you still get an acceptable F3? You may want to consider a Linkwitz Transform circuit to recover that lowest 1/2 octave.

4. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Patrick and Dave...

I have more question [​IMG]
    It seemed like the version of my WinISD has an error or something. I changed the box size but it didn't seemed like on Plot Window has anything changed. Can someone help me w/ the software? [​IMG] I pretty much decide to get Shiva Mark IV driver w/ 250W amp (unless there's a better driver for the same $$$). If it's possible can someone help me come up w/ a cabinet size. Since I can't get WinISD to work properly. I want to have a perfect cube box, closed cabinet. Thanks a lot...

Alex,

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul