What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

3D BWANA DEVIL (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Done and done. I noted in my letter to them that I'll purchase any classic 3D title, and that I had picked up their "Amityville 3D" previously. I also made note of the fact that I'm only interested in a 3D version of this title.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The 3D Feature that I truly hated was GORILLA AT LARGE! This is, in my opinion, way beneath lame!!

Vincent Price's HOUSE OF WAX, on the other hand, is a true classic!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

P.S. I've also sent a message to Shout! Factory in regards to giving BWANA DEVIL a proper 3D release, and that the restoration should be handled by Bob Furmanek's 3-D Film Archive!

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
Unlikely a Shout Factory release would be region free, but I sent a message anyway. Included the web address of the 3d film archive so hopefully Bob et al will have a job to do in the new year. What would be the point in a flat release of this film?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
BJQ1972 said:
Unlikely a Shout Factory release would be region free, but I sent a message anyway. Included the web address of the 3d film archive so hopefully Bob et al will have a job to do in the new year. What would be the point in a flat release of this film?
Hi BJQ1972!

Exactly! The way I framed my message was, in part, to the effect of "Would you really want to have a 2D release that just gets lumped in with the others?"

CHEERS! :)

Tony

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
BBC news has an item on John Henry Patterson, whose exploits inspired "B'wana Devil" and its subsequent remakes:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30248216

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Sent my message to the Shout Factory press department, reminding them that the coverage for this release, both in print and on line, would double if it were released in 3D. More publicity, more sales.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
The problem is their last two 3-D blu-ray releases did not do well so they're reluctant to do another.

AMITYVILLE 3-D was badly mastered and was in a box set with two flat films.

SECTOR 7 is an obscure Korean science-fiction film with bad reviews.

BWANA may not be a great film but it's important in the history of stereoscopic cinema. The title is instantly recognizable.

There is no existing 3-D master so we would need to do HD scans of the left/right materials and fix it shot-by-shot. As we have shown with THE BUBBLE and DRAGONFLY SQUADRON, we can create an optimum 3-D master for a great price.
Amityville 3-D would have sold well if Bob and Greg had corrected the 3D problems. I don't know if they could have corrected them all though. Maybe they could re-release it with corrections done by Bob and Greg.

Here could be the hype for the re-release of Amityville 3-D on Blu-ray:

"From the 3D team that gave you Dragonfly Squadron, The Bubble and 3D Rarities in perfect 3D - a newly restored and improved 3D version of Amityville 3-D."

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My note to them stressed the fact (among other things) that the releases done right are the releases that are selling, including those we have to import.

GregK

Screenwriter
Bob Furmanek said:
Considering the historical significance of BWANA DEVIL, 3-D is a must.

Did Fox issue a pan and scan blu-ray of THE ROBE? Was THIS IS CINERAMA released on blu-ray in 1.37:1?

You get the point...
It cannot be said more succinctly than that.

I am keeping hope that Shout decides to add some "value added 3-D content" to a BWANA DEVIL video release. Please make this an event title vs a missed opportunity.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
RolandL said:
Amityville 3-D would have sold well if Bob and Greg had corrected the 3D problems. I don't know if they could have corrected them all though. Maybe they could re-release it with corrections done by Bob and Greg.
It might have also sold well if we could buy it individually...

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bob Furmanek said:
The BBC News Magazine needs to do their homework. BWANA DEVIL was not shown with red/blue anaglyphic glasses. Sigh.
I noticed that too. There's only a ropey red/blue anaglyph in circulation at the moment so maybe they really didn't know.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bob Furmanek said:
The BBC News Magazine needs to do their homework. BWANA DEVIL was not shown with red/blue anaglyphic glasses. Sigh.
I noticed that too. There's only a ropey red/blue anaglyph in circulation at the moment so maybe they really didn't know.

Accidental double post. :(

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
It's been kind of a Bwana Devil weekend for me. I streamed a flat version of the flick Saturday night just to refresh my memory of the film, and then today we went for a hike out at Paramount Ranch, where most of it was shot. (I think a handful of interiors were done elsewhere.)

Here are some pictures I took. The first shows a poster on display at an information kiosk. I was glad to see the Park Service appreciates Oboler's film; it's good that someone does! :)

The second shows the remarkably sturdy anaglyphic glasses attached to the kiosk. The late Ray Zone would have loved these. They are really solid.

The third is one of numerous lovely vistas to be seen in just about every direction. It is what they call a Universal Freeview stereo pair. The left and center images are a parallel stereograph; the center and right images make up a crossed-eye stereograph. Freeview instructions can be found with a simple Google search.

Bwana_Devil_01.JPG

Bwana_Devil_02.JPG

Bwana_Devil_03.JPG

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
The 3D was good but the actual print quality of Dragonfly Squadron was so dreadful I had to sell it. I'm too used to good quality vintage 3D. Even Black Lagoon and The Bubble were miles better

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
It is regrettable that you feel that way, Gerry. I feel that the Blu-Ray of Dragonfly Squadron comes closest to conveying what it's like to watch a film in two-strip 3-D; the left and right images seem to breathe, the way they would in a film presentation. One might say it feels organic. And I happen to like the flick, personally. But to each his own.

Did you ever happen to see Bwana Devil ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks