3D BWANA DEVIL (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
David M. Ballew said:
I feel that the Blu-Ray of Dragonfly Squadron comes closest to conveying what it's like to watch a film in two-strip 3-D; the left and right images seem to breathe the way they would in a film presentation. One might say it feels organic.

That was exactly my reaction when I first saw it too!

Paul Byrne

Auditioning
3-D Film Archive on facebook have announced an upcoming release that script was the subject of a lawsuit will be released, Bwana Devil I think was subject of lawsuit so I am wondering there was a fan responce for them to release it on 3d blu and I shout factory changed their mind on the 2d release and now it is a 3d release

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
3-D Film Archive on facebook have announced an upcoming release that script was the subject of a lawsuit will be released, Bwana Devil I think was subject of lawsuit so I am wondering there was a fan responce for them to release it on 3d blu and I shout factory changed their mind on the 2d release and now it is a 3d release
Paul, I am not sure exactly what to glean from your post. Please re-phrase.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I don't think it is Bwana Devil. If it is, I hope the 3D Film Archive does the restoration. Probably Those Redheads From Seattle or Sangaree.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Why on Earth would anyone want to see Bwana Devil in anything but 3D?

The way these deals work is they get access to a library but if they want to release a specific title, they have to pay up front money. So if you want them to release it, you have to convince them it's worth putting up front money on.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Bwana Devil is an historic movie, and a pretty suspenseful one in parts. I think if it received a proper 3D restoration (acknowledging the tremendous amount of effort that would take), it would receive the recognition, praise and publicity it would deserve. And, hopefully as a result, the sales. Put me down as a buyer.

A 2D? Agreeing with others here. Don't bother.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
BWANA DEVIL, which I caught on a t.v. broadcast way back when, but knowing it had originally been 3D, is a badly-acted, badly-scripted, totally unmemorable adventure, mediocre at best in all technical areas. So, no, I'd have ZERO interest in a 2D-only edition, and would purchase it from Shout! only if they included the dimensional version. Perhaps they are now regretting buying the video rights to this without thinking through what the commercial prospects are for a 2D-only edition. Hopefully this leads to a 3D option, which will cost them more money, and probably a lot more time.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe they can hire 3D Film Archive to do the restoration.

One would hope. Bob Furmanek has hinted that they have several restoration assignments lined up. I keep hoping for THE MAZE, ROBOT MONSTER and CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON, none of which is a lot better than BWANA DEVIL story-wise, but, as I've said all along, I will purchase any classic 3D titles that gets a release.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
One would hope. Bob Furmanek has hinted that they have several restoration assignments lined up. I keep hoping for THE MAZE, ROBOT MONSTER and CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON, none of which is a lot better than BWANA DEVIL story-wise, but, as I've said all along, I will purchase any classic 3D titles that gets a release.

Unfortunately Kansas City entrepreneur Wade Williams has been sitting on his rights to ROBOT MONSTER and CAT WOMEN and has rebuffed Bob's entreaties to allow 3D Archive a crack at them. (Don't know if that's changed... leaving it to Bob to speak for himself.) Williams has the right to do (or not do) with them whatever he likes, but if he's holding out for the BBD, it ain't coming along. It's irrational and frustrating.

As for THE MAZE, it's a safe bet Bob and his team have at least looked into it. Hope springs eternal ...

And, yes, Shout Factory should indeed call Bob first if it entertains for even a second the thought of monetizing BWANA DEVIL.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Unfortunately Kansas City entrepreneur Wade Williams has been sitting on his rights to ROBOT MONSTER and CAT WOMEN and has rebuffed Bob's entreaties to allow 3D Archive a crack at them. (Don't know if that's changed... leaving it to Bob to speak for himself.)

Oh, yes, I'm well aware of Mr. Williams' stubbornness and was an active participant in that thread with him that is now locked. I am merely re-stating that all classic 3D releases automatically have my support.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Same here Dick. The thing to keep in mind is that the old acetate film prints do deteriorate greatly with age so the saving a film clock is always ticking particularly in the more unique vintage 3D movie outings. I have nothing but praise for the few who are doing restoration and saving work on these 50's movies and preserving what essentially are historical documents along with the fun 3D image entertainment on screen. Now is most certainly the time to save them all but a daunting task for the work force who have my utmost respect and appreciation.

I'll be buying them still as they become available for sure.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Maybe a future 3-D Blu-ray release by Kino Lorber?

12/07/1952
1120752.jpg

Posted on another site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino Lorber Insider View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
Kino Insider - You mentioned before that you thought one of the 50s MGM titles was released on a Shout 4-pack, but then suggested you may have been mistaken on that. If so, would that mean there are in fact no titles formerly released on DVD by Shout in the deal? Thanks.
I don't see one, except for the one I thought they had released. I know it was under license to them for a while, maybe they never released it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino Lorber Insider View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
Kino Insider - Big ask, but do you think you'll be in a position at any point to give us a by-year breakdown of the MGM deal? Even if say it was limited solely to the new-to-Blu titles in the deal? Thanks.
Here it is:

1958 x 2
1985 x 5
1987 x 4
1988 x 4
1989 x 3

I don't think I've missed anything.

Announced so far were the 5 Mr. Wongs, 7 Truffaut films and Programmed to Kill.

Based on this information. It appears that the 3-D film will be Bwana Devil (1952).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks